BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this salvage M5 has been on Craigslist for a while and has peaked my interest. From the pictures, the body looks pretty straight. I'm not that worried about it being a salvage as these cars are worth nearly nothing, so a minor fender bender that requires a panel replacement will usually total one. Has anybody checked this one out or know of its history?

2000 BMW M5 E39 6-Speed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Andrew.

I wouldn't trust anything the guy says about this 'minor accident', for one thing a few years ago could have been 2008 and the beast still being worth much more than now and may have had extensive damage (insurance paying this guy for it being totaled and him buying it back) and someone fixed it cheaply, or fixed it after having all of that damage (not a good idea to buy it), nor would I trust his word on the damage. $8900 seems like a lot of money for this car IMO but it is Silver Stone Metallic like Ryan's 2000 M5 (pretty dreamy), if I was you I'd take a paint meter and try to find the damage and if it runs nice like your former 2000 M5. I've already fallen in love with this car, it looks really nice but I would look at the carfax to see what it says (sometimes they specify salvage damage and type).

I really hope you can work out a deal with this guy and make tons more E39Source videos! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've look at that ad and thought that the price is pretty good for condition. It seems that it was rebuilt properly but I would rather have someone do a ppi to make sure its straight. I would take a hard look around the body and find out if previous owner have that slip for repair on the body. Also, try to get the price down a little bit to make the purchase more worthy with salvage title.

My M5 had front bumper, hood, left panel replaced. While the previous owner was having it repaired, he upgraded to facelift head lights. I don't mind about that because the price point I got it for. 6400 for 151k miles and still runs strong.

Reactions: lightwerkz

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sound like a good deal for me. Notice the bumper don't have headlights washer nozzles. So it's an aftermarket one. But still the car look amazing. If it drive as it look i think it's a great deal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not quite in the market for buying one for personal use. I'd really like to try my hand at flipping a car. A BMW is probably not the best brand to do this with, but it is a brand I'm familiar with working on. With that said, if I could pick this up for $6k, and resell for $8k, it is what I would do. It looks like the seller is trying to do that already, so I'm probably out of luck with this car.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm not quite in the market for buying one for personal use. I'd really like to try my hand at flipping a car. A BMW is probably not the best brand to do this with, but it is a brand I'm familiar with working on. With that said, if I could pick this up for $6k, and resell for $8k, it is what I would do. It looks like the seller is trying to do that already, so I'm probably out of luck with this car.
With the salvage title, there is no room for flipping this car. Case in point being that it's been for sale for a while already.

The wheels are painted silver, someone already pointed out the aftermarket front bumper, for some reason it has a grey faced gauge cluster (MY2000 should be black)

This would be a good buy for someone that would plan to keep it for a long time and daily drive it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not going to argue that flipping this car is pointless. Yea, it's been for sale for a while. If I had the extra money, I'd definitely put in a low offer and see if he bites. I'd love another M5, especially if it was cheap.

However, I think your guy's worries aren't really worries. The wheels have been refinished, like more M5's, since the original shadow chrome has probably worn off. My old M5 had silver wheels. You can definitely buy an OEM front bumper without headlight washer cutouts. I'm pretty sure you have to have the body shop cut them out and it could be possible that the owner didn't want that done. The gray faced cluster is due to the pixel recall; my old 2000 M5 came with the gray cluster instead of the original black cluster.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
With the salvage title, there is no room for flipping this car. Case in point being that it's been for sale for a while already.

The wheels are painted silver, someone already pointed out the aftermarket front bumper, for some reason it has a grey faced gauge cluster (MY2000 should be black)

This would be a good buy for someone that would plan to keep it for a long time and daily drive it.
Yup. At almost ANY price point, a salvage title is a "No" for flipping a car. It causes a lot of hassle, any repair soon starts to threaten your bottom line, and then when it comes time to sell the car, even if you priced it fairly for a salvage car, people will negotiate you down to rock bottom.

A better bet is to find a clean title M5 at that price point that has been neglected, and to bring it back.

Washer nozzles come pre-cut FWIW, you can buy bumpers with or without that option.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Getting into any M5 for cheap is a bad idea. It will cost you more money in the end with repairs.

Reactions: jonesymalone

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Getting into any M5 for cheap is a bad idea. It will cost you more money in the end with repairs.
Not always. I got mine for 6400 and I only spent few amount of greens into maintenance.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My old M5 was on the cheap end of the M5 spectrum back in 2012. In the end, I made out in the black when I decided to sell it.

However, I'm extremely jealous of a $6400 M5. I'd drive the wheels off of that thing, not care about getting a few scratches or dings, and either keep it forever or sell it for not much loss. At that price, it's hit the bottom of the depreciation curve.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tried contacting the seller a few weeks ago via text message. About 15 minutes after sending the initial text I received a solicited call from some company trying to sell me something. I am almost positive this car isn't real and it's just a way for them to get phone numbers. It is listed about 7 times on my local craigslist. Something is extremely fishy with the car/ad.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If I was in the market, I'd go for that car (assuming it drove right). Hard to go wrong at that price, and who cares about a salvage title when its already such a low price. That would make an AMAZING DD and lets be honest, these cars if anything are very easy to work on. Ive done everything from clutch changes to sensor replacements, master cylinder swap outs, you name it, on my back in my garage. NEVER seen a dealership for SQUAT!

OP, Go for it. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts