BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend (who has motorcycle) was telling me about U.S 129, a twisty mountain road in eastern North Carolina. It is 11 miles long with 318 turns (I believe that is what he told me).

Anybody here ever been there?

Rayman
2003 M5

·
Registered
543 Posts
I went there in my old SVT, it is a lot of fun. If you decide to take the ebast up there let me know, I owuld be interested too...Maybe we can get a M5board drive together?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sure many times. Its too twisty for the m5... I wouild recommend some other great roads around there. Thunder Road, Little Switerzland, Caesars Head, etc.... That area of NC has many. There is a liittle known book called "Extreme Twisties" that doccuments the great mountain roads of the south east. Its hard to find but they sell it at the gas station at the NC side of Deals gap....

Sean

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Rayman said:
Friend (who has motorcycle) was telling me about U.S 129, a twisty mountain road in eastern North Carolina. It is 11 miles long with 318 turns (I believe that is what he told me).

Anybody here ever been there?

Rayman
2003 M5
Driven it many a time on the K1200RS (BMW motorcycle) but not in a car.
It's a very decently banked route comprised of 318 curves in 11 miles however, it's a route more geared, IMHO, for 2 wheeled vehicles.

Down the road approximately 10 miles however is the "Cherahola Skyway" (image below) - a true, very high speed, newly paved 30 mile loop, comprised of many 100 MPH + (I've been 140+ on the bike) sweepers - sure to be just perfect for the M5 :haha: (see second image) ouich

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Deal's Gap is dangerous. It's easy to get really hurt or die there. I would keep it on a track! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've never been on it but for those that have never heard about this road:
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

BTW, I like US 64 in western NC. Very twisty, very scenic, and tons of waterfalls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts