BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel this guy is shaking me down for $300. I sold him my perfect NAV unit out of my 2001 M5 with 12k miles on it. Took the time to ensure packing and shipping was perfect. He baulked at the shipping charges and now after some back and forth he emails me 4 days after he recieves and says "the unit has a broken antenna mount - I am sending back for a refund" I feel like he is trying to retaliate for shippinf charges he did not want to pay. It was $17 from Virginia to Los Angeles via Fed Ex.

I am like WTF?? So Paypal put a hold on my account since he filed a complaint. I would never have sold - let alone shipped a defective unit to anybody.

I upgraded to the MKIV. There was nothing wrong with the unit and now it is in Paypal's hands to resolve the dispute. This is ridiculous.

Here is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7974609003

Really makes me mad that people are fraudulent. Now it is his word against mine.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
How do you know he's commiting fraud? Perhaps the antenna connector was damaged in transit. Unless you packed that thing like a hard drive (soft foam inner padding w/double box) it's totally believable that the connector broke. Why else would he want to return it?

If you're confident the item was properly packaged and was undamaged when you boxed it up, then file a claim with FEDEX. You shouldn't be getting into a fight with your eBay customer over this.

By the way, it's against eBay's (and PayPal's) rules for you to charge more for payment with PayPal than via any other means. See: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

You are not allowed to recover PayPal or credit card fees by tacking on a surcharge. If you take PayPal or credit cards as payment, then you accept reponsibility for all associated fees and do not pass them along to the buyer. If you push back on PayPal for this transaction, they may decide to take a closer look at your eBay ad and punish you for violating the rules. You're better off to take the item back and work with FEDEX to get it repaired or replaced. You did insure it, right?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DZeckhausen said:
How do you know he's commiting fraud? Perhaps the antenna connector was damaged in transit. Unless you packed that thing like a hard drive (soft foam inner padding w/double box) it's totally believable that the connector broke. Why else would he want to return it?

If you're confident the item was properly packaged and was undamaged when you boxed it up, then file a claim with FEDEX. You shouldn't be getting into a fight with your eBay customer over this.

By the way, it's against eBay's (and PayPal's) rules for you to charge more for payment with PayPal than via any other means. See: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

You are not allowed to recover PayPal or credit card fees by tacking on a surcharge. If you take PayPal or credit cards as payment, then you accept reponsibility for all associated fees and do not pass them along to the buyer. If you push back on PayPal for this transaction, they may decide to take a closer look at your eBay ad and punish you for violating the rules. You're better off to take the item back and work with FEDEX to get it repaired or replaced. You did insure it, right?
Good points - the unit was packaged in packaging used for hard drives. I spoke with FedEx already.

I guess you don't have insiight to the long diatribe of emails with this guy about how sour he was on shipping and eluded to the fact he would "get me back"

I have spoken with Ebay about the fees.

My post was if you have done business with the mentioned gentleman..So I am assuming you have not right? Or did I miss your answer in your post?

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Nolift911 said:
My post was if you have done business with the mentioned gentleman..So I am assuming you have not right? Or did I miss your answer in your post?
Nope. Never heard of the guy. I was just giving you a heads up so you didn't inadvertantly attract too much attention to your eBay listing violation and end up worse off than you already were.
I guess you don't have insiight to the long diatribe of emails with this guy about how sour he was on shipping and eluded to the fact he would "get me back"
That's really creepy. What did he expect, that you would send the NAV unit for free? $17 is not an outlandish shipping charge. I just paid $69 shipping for a wide screen LCD monitor. I guess I've been really lucky in all my eBay dealings so far. No whack jobs as buyers or sellers yet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks -

I guess I go out of my way to make sure that whatever I sell is fine and it strikes me odd when I have a feeling that something is not right - How do I even know he would return my same unit? So I am out a NAV unit and the $300.

All very foreign to me - I figure people should just do the right thing.

-Jeff

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nolift911 said:
Thanks -

I guess I go out of my way to make sure that whatever I sell is fine and it strikes me odd when I have a feeling that something is not right - How do I even know he would return my same unit? So I am out a NAV unit and the $300.

-Jeff
It's easy to get into a bad transaction on Ebay through no fault of your own.

I spent a Monday, and Tuesday, two weeks ago in federal court in Norfolk Virgina to testify against a guy that took 24 people to the tune of $136,000.00 on ebay.

He even had stellar feedback for 3 years until last July. Go figure.

Thankfully most buyers and sellers are honest.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I hardly ever use paypal if I can avoid it. AND I NEVER LEAVE ANY MONEY WHERE PAYPAL CAN get IT... The bank account it is linked to has $10 in it. Any money comes in and I empty it immediately.

I don't know this guy, and no words of wisdom. Take pictures (or have a witness, or both) when the package returns- you have pictures of the old unit and S/N...

good luck
A

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
Nolift911 said:
Thanks -

-Jeff
Doesn't your Nav unit have a serial number? You should be able to tell if you received "yours". Even in a dispute over shipping, I find it hard to believe he broke something on purpose. If he sends back NAV, refund his $17 and purchase price and just resell it after sorting out the damage with FedX. Just not that much $$$ involved on this one (thank goodness). Good luck.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts