BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For calling their new "highest in class horsepower" 4 door sedan an "M" ?grrrrrrr
Perhaps it's my day to rant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
kcdoyle said:
For calling their new "highest in class horsepower" 4 door sedan an "M" ?grrrrrrr
have you ever driven or seen this vehicle. It is a beautiful vehicle and strong car? 0 to 60 in the low 5's, so not quite where the M5 is, but then again I don't think the M45 is supposed to be measured in the same class as a 90k new M5.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
kcdoyle said:

Well, the car has far more horsepower than what BMW offers and costs a lot less. I'm just happy they didn't call it a beast.

·
Registered
184 Posts
kcdoyle said:
For calling their . . . sedan an "M" ?
If it's the use of the "M" that you're referring to, while I agree that it's not very original it doesn't bother me perhaps because it's not competing with BMW's M series and (to use trademark terminology) it isn't likely to cause any confusion in the marketplace. I actually like what Infiniti and Lexus have done in terms of naming their models as long as they don't go too far (remember the name XR4Ti?).

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
How about Gilette's razor, the "M3"?! :eek:

It bothers me too. MB specifically called its suv a ML out of respect for BMW M (even though they call it the "M Class" in literature.).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...I didn't mean to cause a stir. Just saw the big fold out Infiniti ad in the latest CN Traveler and it irritated me.

BMW "M".....Infiniti "M".....S and "M"........220.....221 whatever it takes

·
Registered
439 Posts
m class from infinity has been around since 89? i think.
i was more annoyed that they didnt put a 6 speed manual in the car..
its really nice for a jap lux car.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
kcdoyle said:
Well...I didn't mean to cause a stir. Just saw the big fold out Infiniti ad in the latest CN Traveler and it irritated me.
They've been using the "M45" name for a while.

When I went over and looked at one, it was interesting enough, but after the fact it's the things I didn't like that stand out. Too gimmicky, too gadgety, too typical-Japanese-luxury-car in its seats and controls.

And then I look at the pricetag.

Thanks, but whatever class they think this thing is in, it's no M5, it's not even a CTS-V. Maybe better finished than the Cadillac but not half as much fun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
JEM said:
They've been using the "M45" name for a while.

When I went over and looked at one, it was interesting enough, but after the fact it's the things I didn't like that stand out. Too gimmicky, too gadgety, too typical-Japanese-luxury-car in its seats and controls.

And then I look at the pricetag.

Thanks, but whatever class they think this thing is in, it's no M5, it's not even a CTS-V. Maybe better finished than the Cadillac but not half as much fun.
I don't know about the fun factor, but it has rated #1 in every category againt CTS, Acura RL, BMW 5 series (not M5:) ), Audi, etc. I actually test drove one and thought it was a very capable car.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
jlindy said:
I don't know about the fun factor, but it has rated #1 in every category againt CTS, Acura RL, BMW 5 series (not M5:) ), Audi, etc. I actually test drove one and thought it was a very capable car.
A CTS is not a CTS-V, either.

The M45 is quite capable, it's just that for the same money you can have capable and fun. :1:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ray540inyc said:
m class from infinity has been around since 89?
When Nissan created the Infiniti name they kinda cobbled together a product line from a bunch of Japanese home-market Nissans. The Q45 was the Nissan Cima, the G20 was the Primera, etc. I don't know what the M30 was, but it was a very old model even at that time (1989-90) and didn't last long.

The J30 more or less replaced it, then the first M45 was mostly the second-generation Q45/Cima with the 340HP engine and video-screen dash out of the third-gen Q45. And, of course, the ugliest passenger-car grille on Earth prior to the introduction of the Dodge Magnum wagon.

We had an early ('92) Q45, it was the best of cars and the worst of cars. Had I been smart enough to do my homework and put a big aftermarket trans cooler on the thing after we got it, we might still have it now, though the ergonomics were a little spotty for anyone over 5ft8in tall.

For its day, that was a hell of an engine, it may have been rated at 278HP vs our 540i's 282 but the Japanese horse was definitely more muscular.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I heard on the radio this morning that Audi wants to Use the letter 'Q' for a new line of SUV's, (Q5 and Q7 I believe). Nissan is having none of it :nono: and is trying to prevent them from using it. Guess they can dish it out but can't take it.

Jutty :cheers:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Jutty said:
I heard on the radio this morning that Audi wants to Use the letter 'Q' for a new line of SUV's, (Q5 and Q7 I believe). Nissan is having none of it :nono: and is trying to prevent them from using it. Guess they can dish it out but can't take it.

Jutty :cheers:
Simply amazing hmmm

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Any company has to aggessively protect their trademarks. Porsche wanted to name the 911 "901" originally and Peugeot forced them to add the "1."

·
Registered
92 Posts
kcdoyle said:

Actually - I think that's pretty funny. I guess Nissan/Infiniti was peeved that BMW called their roadster a "Z"... Revenge, perhaps?

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
116 Posts
JEM said:
For its day, that was a hell of an engine, it may have been rated at 278HP vs our 540i's 282 but the Japanese horse was definitely more muscular.
I would guess the 278 was underrated as a result of the 280 hp limit in Japan. My parents had a 91 back in the day and it was a blast to drive. That V8 loved to scream to redline.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Jutty said:
I heard on the radio this morning that Audi wants to Use the letter 'Q' for a new line of SUV's, (Q5 and Q7 I believe).
From the "Autospies" website. For educational purposes only:

Nissan Sues Audi Over Q Labels

Nissan Motor Co. has filed suit in U.S. District Court in Michigan, charging Volkswagen's Audi unit with trademark infringement over its planned use of the Q7 and Q5 names on future sport-utility vehicles. The Q7 is to be unveiled this fall at the Frankfurt auto show and the Q5 is scheduled to be released in 2007.

Nissan said it has used the letter Q to identify several of its premium Infiniti models, including the Q45 sedan and the QX56 SUV, and has registered those names with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Nissan wants the court to prevent Audi from using the letter Q in any future nameplates. Audi has declined to comment on pending litigation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts