BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody drive in "M" mode and with the power button on for daily driving?

Is this just overkill for daily street driving?

Is gas mileage much different without either on?

·
Registered
638 Posts
If the road is dry then I am in 500S as soon as I pull away. There is really only about 1 mile per gallon difference if that.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm mostly in P500S after my car has warmed up. That also includes driving around town.

It may be easier to drive smoothly in P400 but you get used to P500S. The car feels like there is something wrong with it in P400.

Don't really notice a difference in mpg, but it won't be much.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I drive on P500 M mode all the time from the start on my 6 sp MT. I don't wait for the engine to "warm up". I use P400 only on long avenues with multiple lights and with traffic almost stopped to a stand still.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I drive on P500 M mode all the time from the start on my 6 sp MT. I don't wait for the engine to "warm up". I use P400 only on long avenues with multiple lights and with traffic almost stopped to a stand still.

+1 With 12:1 compression ratio our engines are meant to take a beating. You have to get used to the 500hp so it's not daunting when you do activate "M-mode," Besides, our engines have a variable redline to prevent us from doing damage to the block. Try shifting past 6-7k rpm when you first cut your engine on; ecu management won't let you do it. It's a different story with the e46 M3. Ecu will let you get to redline even if the car hasn't reached the appropriate operating temp or atleast the 6spd will

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
For the Gazzionth time .....yes, what i mean is Many posts on the comparison of gas mileages M or not m, around town or not, highway or not, with or without "M"...

·
Registered
486 Posts
P500 and S5 for sure, but P500S is a bit "twitchy" sometimes, so I generally avoid it for daily driving.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i usually use "M" mode to pass turtles and to humble my opponent. ;) im usually in p500 all the time i hate p400 ...it feels unnatural

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I use M mode on the open road, "challenge" situations and generally just to scare the neighbors.........hmmm

·
Registered
520 Posts
The multi-mode power is a stupid gimmick. The car should have the one power mode and that's it. I'm tired of pressing buttons every time I get in it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The multi-mode power is a stupid gimmick. The car should have the one power mode and that's it. I'm tired of pressing buttons every time I get in it.
i agree- thats why i wanted to know what everyone drives in :M5rev:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

P500s,s6,dsc off all the time except rain and stop-n-go traffic.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Anybody drive in "M" mode and with the power button on for daily driving?

Is this just overkill for daily street driving?

Is gas mileage much different without either on?
I NEVER drive unless that Power button is illuminated.

I hit my M button as a matter of course(P500, EDC Normal, S5) and away I go. Once she's warm, I check things are working okay!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am almost always in p400, to me the thrill of hitting the M button is minimized by using it all the time. When I see an open stretch of road or somebody pulls up next to me in a comparable car and I push the button, giving me the extra HP (P500S, S6, DSC off(S5, MDM in winter months)) I feel like I'm really in a super-car. Otherwise P400, S5 is plenty of power for daily driving if you ask me. I couldn't imagine driving everyday in P500, a waste of power if you ask me.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I thank God for it every time my wife takes the car that she only has 400HP and does not know about the M button

1 - 20 of 32 Posts