BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I missing something?? Why does the air always come on when I start my car? Even if I turn the air off before I switch the engine off, it comes on every time I start the car. Just seems like a silly feature...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mine does just the opposite, leaves A/C off when I restart.

I believe that your climate control settings are saved with your memory seats. Try "reprogramming" your seat settings with AC turned off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try reprogramming my seat tonight. Would if make a difference if the engine is running or not when I program the seat?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe you need to turn off the engine and lock the doors with the remote two times with the AC off for the memory the decide that this is how you like it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does it matter on which leg to hop while doing this?
BCS said:
I believe you need to turn off the engine and lock the doors with the remote two times with the AC off for the memory the decide that this is how you like it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It seems to have a mind of it's own. This weekend, it was off for the first several times I started the car, then on the forth time, it started with the AC on. The only difference that I noticed was that the interior of the car was much hotter the last time. I'm beginning to wonder if it's using the cabin temperature sensor to determine if the AC should start on or off?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I remember from my 325Xi that this is one of those "programming" options that the dealer can do for you like running lights, auto-lock etc. (either car or key memory, can't remember which). I don't believe you can do it through seat programming etc. etc. I would imagine that the M5 is the same as my E46 - can't think why it wouldn't be.

Euro cars seem to have different programming from the US - I remember noticing a lot of differences with between the E46s. For example, a press on my key fob unlocked the whole car, most of the US people on the forum I was on reported that a single press only unlocked one door; it had to be pressed twice to unlock everything.... etc.

Regards,

Gary.

black02m5 said:
Am I missing something?? Why does the air always come on when I start my car? Even if I turn the air off before I switch the engine off, it comes on every time I start the car. Just seems like a silly feature...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my dealer program a few things such as one touch opening all locks and turning off day-time running lights. He said they couldn't turn of the a/c function.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting the link. So would it be the automatic blower function listed at the end? Please excuse my ignorance. Just want to be certain I turn off the correct function.ouich

·
Registered
240 Posts
There's only one option for E-39's, HVAC memory "Active" or "Non Active". I suggest you have the dealer program your key for "Non Active". All the HVAC stuff on the last page is for 3 series cars. See page 4 for info pertaining to the M5.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've now been to two dealers and neither one can figure out how to turn this function off. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? I just want to be able to start my car without any kind of air or heat coming on. I also noticed that when I put the rear defogger on, the air comes on. Does everyones car do this?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine does this too and it bugs me.

My SA at the dealer - very knowledgeable, very nice - said that he was stumped as well. I guess we just have to remember to turn it off everytime we start the car...

·
Registered
177 Posts
black02m5 said:
I also noticed that when I put the rear defogger on, the air comes on. Does everyones car do this?
Mine does this and it's kind of annoying. If someone could at least figure how to deactivate this function, I could still live with turning off the blower everytime I start the car.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Could it be that it's not only the blower, but all temp settings being restored to a previous setting when you turn the key? That's what's happening to me. I've noticed that after changing the temp and fan speed, it returns to the same setting I had about 1 month ago. Every so often, the current setting is remembered.

I have yet to figure out what I'm doing to memorize the settings, but it's not the seat memory key (I've tried that).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts