BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, went out Saturday and had some fun around Buckhead against a 944 Turbo and a V-12 Mercedes. Got the best of both of them over several 1st-3rd gear runs. Okay, okay, the Merc owner had his wife in the car. I'm sure she was squakin' the whole time. But I'm still grinning!
So, I now know my clutch is near the end of it's useful life. Major slippage from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th. Can any UUC clutch owners chime in about feel? For the sake of this thread, IGNORE price and please just comment on feel and performance vs. OEM or any others.
Otherwise, any other clutch's out there I should look at considering I track the car about 4-5 times/year, 31k miles and plan on keeping it another few years.
As always, thanks for your input. This board is the best.
TripleD

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
tripleD said:
Okay, okay, the Merc owner had his wife in the car. I'm sure she was squakin' the whole time. But I'm still grinning!

.....For the sake of this thread, IGNORE price and please just comment on feel and performance vs. OEM or any others.
Racing someone with the wifey in the passenger seat is kinda an unfair advantage, no? Glad you're keeping up the mayhem in Buckhead, Dave! I'm trying to do my best around here, and finally got stopped for the first time on Friday...

While I can offer no first-hand experience, since you've specified looking at this price-independently, then there's only one option: Go for the UUC. Every single thread I've read here from owners has been solid. Truth be told, it's the likely route I'll follow when mine's up for replacement on my own dime.

Have fun at Barber next month!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
tripleD said:
IGNORE price and please just comment on feel and performance vs. OEM or any others. This board is the best.
TripleD
For those that are a little price sensitive, what are rough estimates for a UUC clutch for labor and materials?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
there are some that will complain constantly about the flywheel chatter...but those are the people that can not be fully satisfied here on the board.

For the rest of us, the UUC clutch conversions are nothing short of a great modification that really belongs in the car from the factory. With 3 differing levels of material to use, it really allows the person to choose what style they want. The first being an upgraded organic setup, the second being a segmented kevlar and the third being a 6 puck carbon disk..

Each will gradually increase its effort but nothing to that of a vette with a massive clutch at all. Most persons i believe have chosen to go with either the stg2 or the stg3 steps.

Engine rev and smoothness is greatly increased all while adding security of mind knowing that the "next" clutch job is no longer just around the corner.

I have used UUC's setup for the M3 in my m3 as well..

·
Registered
947 Posts
tripleD said:
Okay, okay, the Merc owner had his wife in the car. I'm sure she was squakin' the whole time.
Interesting thread! How true is that comment! My missus always says in her squaks :blabla: : "Why do u have to race, just to prove who has bigger b&lls right"

errrm, yes of course :cheers:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, if every 100lbs = 1/10 in the quarter mile and you figure she weighs....uhhh,not going there - you can figure that out.

UUC is the way to go if you have the bread. There are tons of posts on it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the UUC Stage I kit in my car for about 6 months now. The rollover noise is there, even with Royal Purple syncromax trans fluid, but it is not too bad. If you want total quiet, get an automatic transmission car!!! The clutch does have to hook up to be effective. On occasion if I am too quick with the gas before the clutch is fully grabbed, I will get some slippage - opperator error. I try not to do standing drag starts. After burning two stock clutches before 12K miles, it is getting costly to play. I had a local dealer get the UUC kit and install it, I think it was about $4k (USD) total.

Others may have had different experiences with the kit and driving style.

LOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered the Sachs clutch from Rob at UUC today, will be delivered Wed, installed Thurs. Must say, Rob was willing and did spend over 30 minutes answering my questions on the phone. And this on a Monday morning. Kudos to Rob and his team.

TripleD

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the UUC stage 2 spec clutch and I think its great. The car shifts very smoothly, the noise is negligible. I don't notice with the radio on and it drives great. Total cost was a little less than $4k, but as everyone has mentioned worth every penny.

·
Registered
145 Posts
tripleD said:
Just ordered the Sachs clutch from Rob at UUC today, will be delivered Wed, installed Thurs. Must say, Rob was willing and did spend over 30 minutes answering my questions on the phone. And this on a Monday morning. Kudos to Rob and his team.

TripleD
Great choice. You won't regret it. I've had the Stage 1 for almost a year now which has the basic organic clutch and it's fantastic. And as you've already experienced, Rob's service is the best.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I posted a review of my experience with the UUC Stage III clutch here It is a long read, but hopefully informative

Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts