BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance. Never thought I'd be interested in bringing my own car to a track until now. I'm at the point now where I feel like I almost have to do it in order to fully appreciate the car. I should have my car and be past the break in period by the end of November.

-Is there a track between San Diego, LA and Palm Springs?

-What's involved with bringing your own car?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Look up your local chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. http://www.bmwcca.org

They can get you started on Track Events (also known as High Performance Driving Schools).

They have excellent instructors, very safe programs, and you get to meet great people with a similar "need".

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
louv said:
Look up your local chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. http://www.bmwcca.org

They can get you started on Track Events (also known as High Performance Driving Schools).

They have excellent instructors, very safe programs, and you get to meet great people with a similar "need".
Great info, thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
More specifically, check out www.bmwclubla.org the local chapter of the CCA. There is nothing coming up immediately but typically the local chapter has an event at California Speedway every August and also an event at Laguna Seca either in the Fall or Spring.

In addition, you could check out www.drivingconcepts.com They also provide good instruction, although i've never attended one of their schools.

All the best.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drezahl said:
More specifically, check out www.bmwclubla.org the local chapter of the CCA. There is nothing coming up immediately but typically the local chapter has an event at California Speedway every August and also an event at Laguna Seca either in the Fall or Spring.

In addition, you could check out www.drivingconcepts.com They also provide good instruction, although i've never attended one of their schools.

All the best.
My buddy just got a C4S and I'm counting the days until I get my M5. Hopefully the M5 will outperfom the C4S. Driving Concepts sounds like an ideal way to push both cars to their limits. Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
HPDE events to consider this year are as follows:

nasa at Button Willow Oct. 8-9
speedventures at Button Willow Oct. 14
tcra at Buton Willow Oct.15-16
nasa at Button Willow Nov. 12-13
tracquest at Infinion Nov 14-15
tcra willow springs Dec. 10-11

All good open track organizations with beginning through race run groups. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mowblowgo said:
HPDE events to consider this year are as follows:

nasa at Button Willow Oct. 8-9
speedventures at Button Willow Oct. 14
tcra at Buton Willow Oct.15-16
nasa at Button Willow Nov. 12-13
tracquest at Infinion Nov 14-15
tcra willow springs Dec. 10-11

All good open track organizations with beginning through race run groups. Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would avoid running with NASA. They are a little rough on the track. I have run with speedventures in the past and would like to get back to buttonwillow so their date is tempting.

If you don't mind a bit more of a drive we have some execelent events up in norcal at thunderhill.

·
Registered
704 Posts
One more note:

If you are curious what the tracks look like here are some videos from my track toy at each.

Please right click, save as

Buttonwillow ~44mb
1st time there, learning the track so not the greatest lines.

Thunderhill ~30mb
Much better driving in general though I am still rough on turnin in a few points and having issues with my line in a couple of turns.

Note the speeds shown in the video are GPS speeds and not indicated. They typically read ~7% lower than the in car speedo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Enigma said:
I would avoid running with NASA. They are a little rough on the track. I have run with speedventures in the past and would like to get back to buttonwillow so their date is tempting.

If you don't mind a bit more of a drive we have some execelent events up in norcal at thunderhill.
I would be interested to know your concern with NASA. It is one of the few groups that feature a full staff of track safety workers, experienced instructors, and sits with SCCA from a organizational standpoint with the race groups. Yes, the HPDE's sometimes get crowded tracks in the novice groups which can be dangerous when low skill+horsepower= trouble. Incidentally, your turn-ins are dramatically early and racing lines are erratic. I recommend a good NASA instructor during your next run group session. He or she will teach you that the driving line is more important than video graphics and fancy data.

·
Registered
704 Posts
mowblowgo said:
I recommend a good NASA instructor during your next run group session. He or she will teach you that the driving line is more important than video graphics and fancy data.
Did you miss the part where I wrote "1st time there, learning the track so not the greatest lines." ?

If you are refering to the thill video I am curious what you thought I was doing wrong. The whole idea of recording and taping the runs is so I can review them, learn from them, and have a plan for my next event. One thing I have found is "the textbook line" isn't always the quickest way around the track. Hence the early turnin and inside line around turns 2 & 3. The textbook is great, real world data is better.

My issue with the NASA groups up here is they are a bunch of goof balls. One driver answered his cell phone while on the track. There were people passing in "no passing" areas. In general the drivers were not respectful of each other.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Enigma, I enjoyed the videos- thanks. I've never seen the speedo, track layout and what looks like a center of gravity meter (?) super imposed before- how did you do that. Very cool.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use a race technology DL1 data recorder to record the telemety. The camera is just a normal miniDV unit with 1394. You can use their software to overlay the video or use a 3rd party. I used track vision's software.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Enigma said:
Did you miss the part where I wrote "1st time there, learning the track so not the greatest lines." ?

If you are refering to the thill video I am curious what you thought I was doing wrong. The whole idea of recording and taping the runs is so I can review them, learn from them, and have a plan for my next event. One thing I have found is "the textbook line" isn't always the quickest way around the track. Hence the early turnin and inside line around turns 2 & 3. The textbook is great, real world data is better.

My issue with the NASA groups up here is they are a bunch of goof balls. One driver answered his cell phone while on the track. There were people passing in "no passing" areas. In general the drivers were not respectful of each other.
Unfortunately, there are novice drivers that do not understand track courtesy at all HPDE events, with all organizers. As you improve and move to advanced run groups, you will not have those unfortunate experiences with experienced drivers. NASA is quality because of their saftey protocol and overall event organization mostly directed toward racers. As far as your driving line goes, I would suggest looking further ahead. Try glancing at the apex as a reference and then directing all your attention to the track out point. As you get fast, you will never look through the lower portion of your windshield. Just my two cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts