BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my AA CAI and I hope to install it this weekend. Any tips or the steps indicated in the directions accurate?

Can I do it with the car on the ground and tires on (until I have to cut slots for the brake ducts)

Since I have to pull the bumper to install the AA CAI, should I go with the recommended mount for the IATS as indicated in the instructions, or should I put it up in an air box? Since the bumper will be off, it really doesn't matter to me. If I wasn't doing the AA CAI, I'd put it in the airbox.

·
10,456 Posts
personally, i think putting it in the airbox, or in the ducting going into the airbox is more acurate. Maybe in the duct to the airbox outside of the engine compartment would be ideal. Realistic data from the intake air stream, no potential for heat soak. I'm thinking in the plastic elbow just before the airbox in the fenderwell area.
Mike

·
Registered
931 Posts
IMHO cutting holes for the brakes is a waste of time as the air flow really does not get to the rotor, pads, or caliper. Unless of course you are ducted right to the backing plate! In fact I did not use the aluminum air boxes, nor the plastic trumpets they supplied. I just ran the flex hose directly to the aluminum funnels in the grill. BTW, I took extreem care in removing the stock grill so it could be reused or sold. The little plastic tips can break.

I felt that the direct mount hose would provide the most RAM air effect. No leaking joints, brake ducts, etc...

Anyway, good luck! :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Talk to BMWUSA (Josh) I came in at the tail end of his install and helped to put things back in after he and another buddy of his did most of the install...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought it was pretty easy, me and some friends did it in just under two hours, and we worked on it in the drive way with tires on, no lifts or jacks, I thought it was easier to do one side at a time start to finish, and turning the steering wheel, to have easier access to the screws, if you have any questions during your install just ask on the board this weekend, I will be more then willing to help, Josh

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructions looky straight forward and easy to follow. Where there any gotcha's that took you some time to figure out what to do or you came up with a better way then listed in the instructions? I'm probably going to tackle this myself, and use the wife as a set of hands to help with the bumper on/off.

·
Registered
931 Posts
When you are about to pull the bumper off... I put a pile of old cushions/blankets to support it. Also make sure you unplug ALL of the electrical connections. I used a hose pinch clamp to close off the washer lineas once you disconnect the hoses (at the connection) the fluid will keep flowing. One thing I did for looks was to mask the new grill and paint flat black this insides of the aluminum funnels. I only have the small out side ring shinny. Take your time, do a nice job. :cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
What bock said about sums it up, the dircetions I believe have you do step by step for both sides at the same time, I would do the entire side start to finish then tackle the otherside, dont have to turn the wheels as often, good luck youll be fine, Josh

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I did mine this weekend ... When I put the bumper back on it was lower on one side so I tried to adjust it with the 14mm hex but alas it stripped so now I am going to have to replace the mount ( bloody bugger that !!!! ). I can vouch for the cuts and such like. Given the previous owner of my car drove it up and down a dirt road there was dust and crud EVERYWHERE which made it a bit harder as I kept on getting dust in my eyes because I did not have jack stands etc, just a trolly jack.

Get it done for you I reckon.... its worth the money if for no other reason than it passes the hassle to someone else ;)

·
Registered
931 Posts
aaronmiles said:
When I put the bumper back on it was lower on one side so I tried to adjust it with the 14mm hex but alas it stripped so now I am going to have to replace the mount ( bloody bugger that !!!! )
Another 'look for' tip. The left and right ends of the bumper assembly have plastic guides that have to be engaged at the same time as the bumper is slid 'home'. Not sure if this has anything to do with the up/down problem, but all should be in the right position before tightining the two large vertical bolts.

Good Luck Man (Mate). The finished look is worth it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
yeah .... those two litle plastic guides are most important, but with mine you can see that one of the bumper mounts is higher than the other. the lubricant spray did not help as it was pretty dusty in there and seised from a long time ago I think :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts