BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hope everybody is having a good day! Even though I might not have my M5 anymore :crying: but I am still here!

Wanted to see if there are any guys on this board who own an M5 (or any other M) and also a sport bike, and if you do, please list which one you own and what you like/dislike about it. The reason I am asking is that I always wanted to get myself a sport bike, but never really had the stomach to do so, but with all my friends on bikes now, peer pressure is building up hahaha. Sadly, I am a complete noob when it comes to bikes...but I want one! ouich

And also, now that I have a Jag F-type R and a GT-R, any suggestions for a daily driver? :)

·
2,149 Posts
My friend has a BMW S1000RR and he loves it over his ZX10 and his R1.. The jag and GTR are beast bro! Good stuff.. Daily driver? Prius or hybrid or if you want fun factor, a VW GTI :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i had a Honda 600RR as a starter bike for a year or two in Detroit. then i bought a 2007 Yamaha R1 Raven in 2009 with 3k miles on it.

honestly, having an M5 (and even my times in a modded GTR) nothing in life other than flying will compete with the sport bike experience. after taking the time to learn on a 600RR and getting my license in michigan....and a ton of practice....i got really aggressive with my liter bike.

ive taken it up to whiteline on new michelin pilot PS2s and got to a top speed of 186mph. nothing beats that feeling. nothing. not ever sex.

(if youre a speed/adrenalin junkie like me).

this past weekend....like almost every weekend....i went on a spirited canyon run with some ///M bros....i drove my buddies fully built E46 (track ready) and it was amazing....yet still not the fun of a sport bike.

if you are on the fence and trust yourself to be wise yet adventurous...you wont regret the purchase. i would suggest a GXR750 or Duc 899 to start off with tho the Duc is a lot of power for a first go at it...

i sold the R1 with plans to buy a BMW 1000rr or Ducati 1099 but ended up moving to cali and spent my bike fund on the move lol.....

daily driver: i have an E36 ///M3 sedan 5MT....i love it. small, sporty....sips gas (20mpg city & nearly 30hwy), cheap to mod and cheap to buy.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Have you looked at any of the MV Augustas? I love their F3 and F4 models. I was talking about getting one but you know mothers lol she would rather have me have a ridiculously fast car than a bike after seeing what happened to my dad and brother on theirs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have good taste in cars, you should consider Ducati 848. You may want to give some seat time before you get into super bikes, >1000cc.
All the Japanese modern 600s are great, but may not have the personality.... My V twin is great fun and loves standing up on one.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Guys, thanks for the responses so far!

Chris, even though I've never driven a sport bike (or any bike for that matter; ever) all of my friends, who love cars as much as I do, are going crazy about bikes and are really tempting me to join them - so far I have two friends who bought Yamaha R6's to start and one guy who went for a Ducati Panigale 899...decisions decisions...

Never really heard about MV Augustas or any other manufacturers other than the typical ones you hear all the time...

In terms of the daily driver, it has to be a 2013 m/y car (due to customs laws in Kazakhstan) but it also has to be somehing new and actually worth bringing back home after I am done with school (Staying in the US is a 50/50), but I am definitely taking the Jag and GT-R with me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got a 2009 Yamaha R1 .... ride it everyday. I would suggest get a 600cc bike to practice nd once u feel comfortable riding then you can go with 1000cc bikes. Above mentioned are great choices but for beginner's bike don't even think abt Agusta F4 or Ducati 1000cc nd up ... some of these powerful bikes won't forgive you .... that said I am baised nd in my opinion Yamaha R1 if the best bang for ur buck .... definitely attend a riding school if u can. Will help u a lot.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a GSXR 1000. Awesome bike. I would also suggest that you look at nothing but a 600 or lower. Bikes are no joke and things can get serious real fast. Take a riders course stage 1 and stage 2. Whenever you do ride with your friends, stay within your skill level. As a matter of fact always ride within your skill level. You will get better as time goes by.

·
Registered
975 Posts
CBR954rr.....selling it tho.

Reactions: AWOL

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Whatever you do not jump on a liter bike from the start. Way too many fellas hurt themselves this way. Go for a 600cc

my first and current street bike....

1050 Triumph Speed Triple. Would have been sick of a 600 after a week.

Reactions: AWOL

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've riden sport bikes off and on my adult life. Last bike I had was a 2004 Kawasaki Z1000, I loved that bike. Unfortunately I had a small low side about 2 months before my daughter was born, and that was the end of that bike. Since my wife is staying home with my daughter I decided that it wasn't worth trying to fight for it, being the sole income provider for my household.

Anyway, with the M5 I really don't miss it much. Riding is awesome, and there's nothing like it, but I'm ok with not having a bike for a while since I have the M5. That should say something about how awesome this car is. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't ride very much anymore but my main bike is a Ducati 748. My play bike which has been apart for a few years due to lack of time is my former CBR600F3 track bike with a heavily built CBR900RR motor wedged in. I also have a Yamaha TZ250GP bike that I used to road race that will some day be a coffee table ornament, and a KTM200EXC dirt bike which I haven't ridden in two years.

Oddly enough the M5 gives me 90% of the feeling I get from riding a sportbike with none of the hassles. No worries about getting caught in the rain, sweating my ***** off in leathers on a hot and humid day, freezing my ***** off returning from a long ride on a cold fall evening, the feeling that every car is going to turn in front of me, etc, etc. The biggest drawback of the M5 is I can't drive it all day on less than $10.00 worth of gas. The bike I miss riding the most is the dirt bike and I hope to get out on it at least once yet this year.

I think this is my life's chronology of motorcycles:

Honda Mini Trail 50 > Honda Trail 70 > Honda CL350 > Honda CB750 > Honda CR250 Elsinore > Yamaha YZ400 > Honda CR430R > Honda CR480R > Honda CR250R > Honda CR250R > Honda CBR600F3 > Honda CBR900RR > Yamaha TZ250GP > KTM200EXC > Ducati 748.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We have seven GSXR's...
Two 600's that are our track bikes (yes... Wifey races too)
A chromed stretched sprayed 1000 show bike
A chromed stretched 750 show bike
A 1000 that is my everyday and/or rain bike
A 600 that is my wife's everyday streetbike

And... A little Chinese 125cc race replica.

The best true starter bikes of the sport bike variety are probably sub 600cc, as the 600cc bikes bikes of today are still a handful.
My preference is Suzuki but Honda has made quite a resurgence of late (primarily driven by the fact that they will finance anyone).
Whatever you decide to do, gear up, be safe and take a couple of MSF classes.
Start with a very small bike and work your way up. Don't worry about the peer pressure of having to have a big bike (for now).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
The best true starter bikes of the sport bike variety are probably sub 600cc, as the 600cc bikes bikes of today are still a handful.
My preference is Suzuki but Honda has made quite a resurgence of late (primarily driven by the fact that they will finance anyone).
Whatever you decide to do, gear up, be safe and take a couple of MSF classes.
Start with a very small bike and work your way up. Don't worry about the peer pressure of having to have a big bike (for now).
This ^

Very well said. 600cc sportsbikes are stupid fast now days so you will not feel at all like it's a starter bike. It's much better then getting dead, which BTW is very easy to do on a 600cc sportbike as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't ride very much anymore but my main bike is a Ducati 748. My play bike which has been apart for a few years due to lack of time is my former CBR600F3 track bike with a heavily built CBR900RR motor wedged in. I also have a Yamaha TZ250GP bike that I used to road race that will some day be a coffee table ornament, and a KTM200EXC dirt bike which I haven't ridden in two years.

Oddly enough the M5 gives me 90% of the feeling I get from riding a sportbike with none of the hassles. No worries about getting caught in the rain, sweating my ***** off in leathers on a hot and humid day, freezing my ***** off returning from a long ride on a cold fall evening, the feeling that every car is going to turn in front of me, etc, etc. The biggest drawback of the M5 is I can't drive it all day on less than $10.00 worth of gas. The bike I miss riding the most is the dirt bike and I hope to get out on it at least once yet this year.

I think this is my life's chronology of motorcycles:

Honda Mini Trail 50 > Honda Trail 70 > Honda CL350 > Honda CB750 > Honda CR250 Elsinore > Yamaha YZ400 > Honda CR430R > Honda CR480R > Honda CR250R > Honda CR250R > Honda CBR600F3 > Honda CBR900RR > Yamaha TZ250GP > KTM200EXC > Ducati 748.
Great post, my buddy has a TZ 250 and a ktm road bike. I like your timeline - mine is simple YZR600, ZX7, VTR1000... Had a CR250 until I was doing some xgames jumps and broke both arms and collar bone. No more dirt bikes for me.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My two wheeled history

My Bikes in order of acquisition - *=still own

1956 250 NSU MAX
1965 305 Honda Superhawk
1968 650 Triumph Bonneville
1969 750 Triumph Bonneville - Turned into Road Racer
1967 650 Triumph -Turned into Enduro bike
1970 750 Triumph Trident - Turned into Road Racer *
1972 750 Triumph Trident - Turned into Road Racer
1972 450 Husqvarna WR
1975 975 Rob North Triple Road Racer*
1976 750 Honda CB
1968 500 Triumph Road Racer*
2006 1200 BMW K12S*
1955 250 NSU Super MAX-Turning into Moto Giro*

Still street riding, run the occasional Road Race and occasional Moto-Giro

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey guys,

Hope everybody is having a good day! Even though I might not have my M5 anymore :crying: but I am still here!

Wanted to see if there are any guys on this board who own an M5 (or any other M) and also a sport bike, and if you do, please list which one you own and what you like/dislike about it. The reason I am asking is that I always wanted to get myself a sport bike, but never really had the stomach to do so, but with all my friends on bikes now, peer pressure is building up hahaha. Sadly, I am a complete noob when it comes to bikes...but I want one! ouich

And also, now that I have a Jag F-type R and a GT-R, any suggestions for a daily driver? :)
Hello and glad to see you're still with us on the board! (although just trolling...:7:) j/k

I'll be honest, I truly miss having a sport bike, as I made a huge transition from a Ducati 998 a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy a few years back.

I've owned three street bikes since I turned 21: (1) 2001 Honda 929RR (sold); (2) 2003 Ducati 998 (sold); (3) 2003 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy (current). For reference, pics of two sport bikes are below (pic of Harley is in my profile's photo album).

GAS-Man and other have suggested taking Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) classes, and I agree with that notion 100%. I obtained my motorcycle endorsement (aka motorcycle license) by completing a three-day MSF course. Not only did I learn a lot, and get my license, but the cost of my motorcycle insurance was significantly decreased when I noted to my insurance company that I had completed the MSF course. The MSF course will provide you with 125cc bike to use for the practical portion of the course; you just need to supply your own helmet and gloves (for these I prefer Shoei and Dianese, respectively).

Others suggest a 600cc bike to start, and I would agree with that if you have never had experience on any motorcycle (dirt or street). I had been riding dirt bikes since I was five years old, so I was ready for a larger street bike when I first decided to start riding. See if you can find a friend that has a 600cc bike, get yourself a helmet and some gloves, and see if he will let you take a ride around a large parking lot.

For me, the Honda 929RR was by far the smoothest-running bike I owned, with its inline four-cylinder engine. Any of the big four Japanese bike manufacturers (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki) make great sport bikes, but I simply prefer Honda. The Ducati 998 a beautiful bike, but I just didn't connect to the bike like I did the Honda. It's twin-cylinder engine just felt "rough" to me compared to the Honda's inline four.

When I get back to the sport bike scene, and although I'm keeping the Harley, I'm going with the BMW HP4. From what I've seen and heard, this bike is the bike for me. :grinyes:

Lastly, you were looking for a daily driver. Take a look at the Lexus GS 350 F Sport or the Infiniti Q50S/Q50 Hybrid. The Lexus is more refined (of course), but the Infiniti(s) will really put you back in your seat when needed; especially the Hybrid.

Take care, and best of luck with the bike/daily driver search. Keep us posted.

Kindly,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts