BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
MLOCO said:
Any of you E60 M5rs get caught speeding yet??? At what speed?:wroom:
Interesting question. Could be a dangerous one to answer (knock on wood for those lucky M5'ers who don't have the titanium innerds instead of some type of wood trim). Maybe a better (or the worst possible bad luck) question is who has driven their M5 the farthest without a ticket? Well . . . guess we would have to define "ticket" . . . non-parking ticket, non-no front license plate ticket, non-no driving without a seatbelt ticket . . . but one of those other kinds? If I say and admit now, I'm sure I'm doomed; but I don't believe in bad luck. So, I"m at 69,135 without any tickets (except for a no front license plate ticket [no I don't go thru red lights ever unless someone is tailing me seriously]) and hit beast satisfying speed both to and from work every day (safely, trust me) for the last 4 years . . . this is why I like to live in California. And no CHP 1199 society plate or radar detector :1: (ah . . yes, such a thread should include whether you have a radar detector or are a 1199 CHP society member or both; this could affect your ticketlessness). Natch . . . I have neither.
cheers Wrong :viking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
I have the V1 ordered and ready to go. Now where do i mount the bearcat scanner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
Besides the V1, I'm getting a three-transponder Lidatek (2 front, 1 rear) as laser is increasingly used. I'm still looking for some good, clean V1 mounting options for the E60.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
bernhtp said:
Besides the V1, I'm getting a three-transponder Lidatek (2 front, 1 rear) as laser is increasingly used. I'm still looking for some good, clean V1 mounting options for the E60.

Tom
There is an excellent step-by-step with photos description of mounting your V1 above or next to the mirror on the E60 on E60Forums.com. I've done it, and all you do is tap into the wire in the overhead light. It's a perfect spot for the V1, excellent reception and completely out of the way.

Post some pic's of your Lidatek install when you get it done - I may do the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Wolverine said:
There is an excellent step-by-step with photos description of mounting your V1 above or next to the mirror on the E60 on E60Forums.com. I've done it, and all you do is tap into the wire in the overhead light. It's a perfect spot for the V1, excellent reception and completely out of the way.

Post some pic's of your Lidatek install when you get it done - I may do the same thing.
Here is the link:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708&hl=valentine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
I think there is a good DIY on E60.net for the Lidatek. My brother-in-law (who is mechanically challenged) did his front Lidatek install using that as a guide and it looks d***ed good. I'll get him to take some pictures. I think he is still struggling trying to find a way to do the rear.

He has his V1 mounted under the rear deck behind the back seats. While the laser part doesn't work (covered by Lidatek), it is still VERY effective against radar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
vndkshn said:
I think there is a good DIY on E60.net for the Lidatek. My brother-in-law (who is mechanically challenged) did his front Lidatek install using that as a guide and it looks d***ed good. I'll get him to take some pictures. I think he is still struggling trying to find a way to do the rear.

He has his V1 mounted under the rear deck behind the back seats. While the laser part doesn't work (covered by Lidatek), it is still VERY effective against radar.
Interesting topic, I have never used a radar detector before, what kind of radar do these units protect against?

Here in Arizona we encounter mostly photo radar, unfortunately we will be the first state in the nation to permanently place photo radar on a major freeway. Don't even get me started on this....... grrrrrrr

Anyhow, just curious as to how effective you think these are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess when i travel through AZ Im taking
my license plates off.








idivethesea said:
Interesting topic, I have never used a radar detector before, what kind of radar do these units protect against?

Here in Arizona we encounter mostly photo radar, unfortunately we will be the first state in the nation to permanently place photo radar on a major freeway. Don't even get me started on this....... grrrrrrr

Anyhow, just curious as to how effective you think these are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Yeah, I wanted to make some kind of device that mounted in the license plate frame and closed like a camera shutter as you went through the photo radar.

It's a sad state of affairs when the city thinks it's a good deal for the community to put photo radar on the freeway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
idivethesea said:
Yeah, I wanted to make some kind of device that mounted in the license plate frame and closed like a camera shutter as you went through the photo radar.

It's a sad state of affairs when the city thinks it's a good deal for the community to put photo radar on the freeway.
There is a company that advertises in some of the car magazines for a license plate cover that is transparent, but supposedly doesn't allow a good photograph. Don't have any idea whether it works or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
There is also a spray that you can buy for $10 (I can't remember where right now). You spray it on and once you spray it you can't even see it on the license plate. Looks like any other plate but when a camera takes a picture it looks like you don't have a plate. Something to consider maybe....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
This seems interesting. It reflects the flash back to the camera and overexposes the picture. It's a little like red-eye for your license plate picture.

What is unclear (and unmentioned in the FAQ) is the effect on laser and laser blinders like Lidatek. Analytically it seems that this product should intensify the reflection of any laser gun and maybe overwhelm the blocking transmission of a laser blocker like Lidatek. I'll do some research.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I don't think the sprays and the license plate covers work 100%, with a little photo enhancement the number will come through.

Will this detector your discussing work on photo radar, or just the handhelds?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
Laser jamming and anti-photo coatings

Here is the reply I received from Lidatek:


Greetings Tom,
I think you may be correct. If the plate cover is designed to reflect much of the camera's flash back to the camera unit, where ever it is in relation to your car, then it plate coating must be some kind of retro-reflective material. Such materials will make your car more reflective to a laser gun.
As long as the front transponders remain reletively close to the plate (~6" to each side) you should be okay. The rear the transponder should also be kept as close to the plate as possible.
Regards,
Andrew
Lidatek

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: ATTN:Website Questions

I am getting a new car (M5 in two months and am strongly considering getting a three-transponder setup (2 front, 1 rear). However, I am also strongly considering the anti-police-camera license plate coating (see http://www.phantomplate.com/main.html) that appears effective in many/most cases. It seems to work by reflecting the flash directly back into the camera to blind/overexpose the picture (like red-eye for the license plate). What is unclear to me is if this directionally reflective coating will effectively amplify the intensity of laser reflected from the license plate and subvert the blocking effect of the Lidatek transmitter. What is the Lidatek position on this?

Tom


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Checked out the sites for the license plate spray and the lense. Niether are going to work as the only blok part of the plate. We had a hit and run in the family a couple years back and could only give the police the vehicle model, color, first and last numbers of a six digit plate they had the girl within 48hrs and she lived on the other side of the state. Moral police technology can circumvent these easily. Stick with the V1 and Lidatek.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top