BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been following the Malibu thing closely, and it's a real shame that they had to crack down in this manner. I guess that what happens when too many overzealous drivers start causing problems up there. I used to drive the Malibu roads every weekend when I had my 323Ci, I've only been able to take the beast up there twice before this so-called "operation safe canyons".

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is exactly happening in the Malibu Canyons? I plan on moving to Calabasas later this year and having the Canyons in the back yard is a major selling point. What streets are they heavily protrolling, or rather what are the streets they don't patrol that often?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ducman69 said:
What is exactly happening in the Malibu Canyons? I plan on moving to Calabasas later this year and having the Canyons in the back yard is a major selling point. What streets are they heavily protrolling, or rather what are the streets they don't patrol that often?
All of the major canyons are under Law Enforcement's eye now. Rumor has it that a database is being created of "canyon racer" types and they are snatching anyone who may be driving a "performance" car.

Living there might get you some slack though.

It's a shame, Malibu was one of the most beautiful drives around.

·
Registered
184 Posts
How vigilant are they? I ran in the canyons for a couple hours on a Sat. morning a month ago and didn't see a single cop, but I haven't been out there since.

Hobbez said:
All of the major canyons are under Law Enforcement's eye now. Rumor has it that a database is being created of "canyon racer" types and they are snatching anyone who may be driving a "performance" car.

Living there might get you some slack though.

It's a shame, Malibu was one of the most beautiful drives around.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Count me in, as long as it's on or after June 18th (I'll be away the first half of June).

Last year we went on a run farther north (near Ojai) and found some great deserted canyon/mountain roads on a weekend afternoon. Once we got away from civilization we encountered almost no other cars and no cops for hours. Farther away than Malibu for a lot of people, but less crowded and less patrolled. Does anyone remember the route we took, and would be interested in doing it again?

Does anyone know of other good alternative routes? I'm only familiar with the Angeles Crest area which is crowded and patrolled on weekends, probably no better than Malibu. I couldn't make it to the last Malibu run though, so I can't really compare.

- Dave

Here's a link to the thread for the Ojai area run, with description & pics:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47096&page=2

·
Registered
651 Posts
Early (8ish or before) on Saturday's still seems to be OK here. Radar ON and keeping your eye's looking as far down the road as possible provide some protection as well as starting from the far (N) West End of Town, Yerba Buena Rd (very narrow at some points) or (a more CHP monitored) Mulholland Hwy provide great driving. A good meeting place for these routes would be the Starbucks located at 30765 PCH @ Broadbeach/Trancas Canyon. Check out Map Quest for a general over view of the Roads in this area.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The canyons in and around Malibu, Calabasas and Agoura have been recently targeted by the CHP and the County Sheriff. The area north of Ojai is far less traveled.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would be up for a day run away from Malibu. But 3 weeks ago, the roads to Ojai were still damaged and being repaired with up to a 2 hour delay. I'll check some of the routes we took and see if they have been cleared up. Bouquet Canyon and Lake Hughes Road are open after being closed for repairs, but I saw some rough repair spots with debris in some of the corners when I took a drive last week.

John

·
Registered
267 Posts
jeeperjohn said:
How many people are interested in a day run away from LA?
John
Hey John,

Count me in, just let me know what date you guys decide on....Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
184 Posts
If no one minds a newb bringing up the rear I'd be up for it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would go.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts