BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the clutch is from a 540i and is not enough to handle the torque of the M5.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good clutch replacement for our cars?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You are opening up a can of worms..

It depends what you want of of the car. OEM is cheap these days and can handle mild aggressive driving. If you want more, then you will need to adjust your pockets cause it really comes down to preference. You can spend $200 on a clutch or 2k

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the best option if I spent $2k?

·
Registered
974 Posts
+1 on oem clutch...do not waste your money.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
unless you're running forced induction or have the engine built theres no need for much over a stock sized clutch. notice i say stock size, not stock. if you want a good clutch call south bend clutch, go with the stage 3 daily. uses the stock flywheel, is a sachs non self adjusting pressure plate and sachs upgraded disc, comes with throwout bearing and alignment tool of course. what i've been running for the last year, zero issues.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I have OEM with Dinan DMLFW, but during my next replacement ill be getting southbrend clutch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unless you're running forced induction or have the engine built theres no need for much over a stock sized clutch. notice i say stock size, not stock. if you want a good clutch call south bend clutch, go with the stage 3 daily. uses the stock flywheel, is a sachs non self adjusting pressure plate and sachs upgraded disc, comes with throwout bearing and alignment tool of course. what i've been running for the last year, zero issues.

Thanks I will order the same thing :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
You are opening up a can of worms..

It depends what you want of of the car. OEM is cheap these days and can handle mild aggressive driving. If you want more, then you will need to adjust your pockets cause it really comes down to preference. You can spend $200 on a clutch or 2k
Or $6k!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ha, I think I've read most of the clutch threads on this board over the past 10 years! Unless you are going to supercharge her, I'd stay with stock. I replaced my OE clutch at 75K miles only because the throw-out bearing was worn; the clutch itself still had plenty of life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone on this thread replaced the clutch yourselves? Otherwise I guess the install should be counted in the price of the clutch...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nightcrawler do you get gear rattle or any noise using the non self adjusting clutch system from southbend? Your set yup appears to be a good stock replacement.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Nightcrawler do you get gear rattle or any noise using the non self adjusting clutch system from southbend? Your set yup appears to be a good stock replacement.
no, you dont get gear rattle from a pressure plate. gear rattle comes into play when you go to a single mass flywheel, not a clutch. setup has been bulletproof and smooth for the last year.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Timely thread. So the rattle I hear, sometimes, could my flywheel? I'm stock setup with, what I believe to be, the original flywheel.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Timely thread. So the rattle I hear, sometimes, could my flywheel? I'm stock setup with, what I believe to be, the original flywheel.
Dual mass flywheel should not cause gear lash (rattle). If you hear a rattle, there is another issue.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: D-RodM5
1 - 20 of 23 Posts