BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for my first oil change. I called the dealer and checked Bavarian for prices. 10w60 is over twice the cost of 5w30. Is it because 5w30 is more common?

ps. dealer said they always fill it up with what the sticker says, hence 5w30 for me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:haha: Good one lol

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
And way, way under half the quantity sold.

And it's a 'true' Group IV PAO oil as opposed to the 5W-30 which is a Group III sorta-synthetic.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yeah, 2x5=10, and 2x30=60! ouich No, mainly it's harder to get an oil to behave with that kind of viscosity range. Very expensive to put the VI enhancers to do it, and they also have somewhat of an exclusive blend. Think of why NASA toilets are so expensive and that's the right analogy. :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
That, and the Castrol RS 10w60 (and TWS) are both bottled in Germany with a BMW P/N. So they're imported synthetic.

I don't think I've seen any other synthetic in 10w60 formulation in the States; not so with the 5w30!!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
My local dealer has 5-30 at $4 and the 10-60 is $8.95

This was pretty astonishing for me, since the other dealer had the 5-30 at 10.50 a qt!

The price diff, based on the hundreds of posts I've read here and elsewhere on oil, is due to (a) more expensive to produce, (b) lower volume (c) only BMW.

In my book the difference is immaterial.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rekon you're lucky,
10w60 is £11.74 per litre equivalent to $21.70 US??
May have to bring some back to the UK on my next U.S. visit!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ard said:
My local dealer has 5-30 at $4 and the 10-60 is $8.95

This was pretty astonishing for me, since the other dealer had the 5-30 at 10.50 a qt!
Welcome to BMW dealer pricing. I've seen similar behavior from Toyota and Ford dealers, to name two, so such variability is nothing unique to BMW.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, here's what I'm doing.

In the 7K miles since I picked up the car, I was down a quart. That's what prompted me to change the oil. In the next 7k miles, if I'm down the same amount, I'll stay with the 5w30. If I need to add a quart earlier, then I'm switching over to 10w60.

I picked up some 5w30 today at $4/quart at the dealership. $12 for the filter for a total of $40 for an oil change. It's been 7K miles since I picked up the car ... and hopefully the oil was changed. Not bad considering they wanted well over $100 at the dealership for an oil change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts