BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - this weekend I'm planning on baking open the headlights on my 2001 and installing a fresh set of lenses w/clear side markers.

While the headlights are opened, is there anything else I should attend to / upgrade / etc?

I don't have any issues with my adjusters, but I've read of folks replacing them when the headlights are open - wondering if there's anything like that I should do while I'm in there.

Thanks,
A77

·
Registered
379 Posts
If adjusters are original replace them. Also swap out projector lens with an optically clear set. Or if you can afford to replace the whole projector assembly.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
If you coat the inside of the lens with RainX, if you have a future issue with moisture getting in the light it is less of a problem, because the condensation flows down instead of sticking to the lens blocking some of the light. You still need to fix that, it is just less of a problem. If you have never tried RainX then you might want to put some on your windows, it is magic.
Another vote for doing the adjusters when you have them open.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Do replace the adjusters and I'd recommend just cleaning the glass projector. Have replacement butyl on hand for reassembly. Be very careful around the reflectors as the reflective surface is easily damaged. Done about a dozen sets myself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info gents! Did you replace the adjusters with the stock plastic ones, or upgrade? I've seen aluminum adjusters - like these:

I assume that'll solve any issues going forward?

Sailor24 nice tip on the RainX!! I have used that before, definitely great stuff!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I've used both. I used copper-based anti-sieze on the aluminum threads to prevent them from sticking down the road. I prefer the new-make plastic ones. BMW nor Hella offers adjusters for the face-lift headlights. Make sure the ones you buy are for your type of headlight.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used both. I used copper-based anti-sieze on the aluminum threads to prevent them from sticking down the road. I prefer the new-make plastic ones. BMW nor Hella offers adjusters for the face-lift headlights. Make sure the ones you buy are for your type of headlight.
Do you have a link to your preferred adjusters? I do have the facelift headlights.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
There are more than one supplier now, I think. I think I got my last set from eBay. Regulator something?
Might be a seller in the classifieds here even.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh good call man - are those stock projectors? I've been reading around over the past few days, these look like a pretty slick upgrade:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I tried an FX-R. Didn't like it. Much prefer the Hella E55 bi-Xenon or OE. Both with good reflectors and clean, original projectors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried an FX-R. Didn't like it. Much prefer the Hella E55 bi-Xenon or OE. Both with good reflectors and clean, original projectors.
Good to know - what didn't you like about the FXR's?

Has anyone upgraded the angel eye's to Orion V4's while they're in there? Found this thread - looks pretty slick:

I've been very pleased with the $30 LED upgrade I installed last year - although the Orion's certainly do look next-level from those pics.

Here's my 2001 with OE on the left, these:

On the right:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh good call man - are those stock projectors? I've been reading around over the past few days, these look like a pretty slick upgrade:

I did not use stock projectors again. I used EVOX-R 2.0 projectors. They require shorter mounting posts but other than that they are a direct fit. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-morimoto-evox-r-2.html

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That would be my recommendation which is to use a projector that doesn't require custom fitting.

At the end, the work required to put them in wasn't worth it. Some or most might disagree but I feel like they're a styling projector. Kind of like those stupid blue bulbs or putting HID "conversion" kits in an incandescent headlight. Well, not that bad.

I went with Gold Orion V4s. Also had Gold V2s. I like them both. The V4 is very bright and looks the most like original angel-eyes but the V2 are also bright and not bad at all.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be my recommendation which is to use a projector that doesn't require custom fitting.

At the end, the work required to put them in wasn't worth it. Some or most might disagree but I feel like they're a styling projector. Kind of like those stupid blue bulbs or putting HID "conversion" kits in an incandescent headlight. Well, not that bad.

I went with Gold Orion V4s. Also had Gold V2s. I like them both. The V4 is very bright and looks the most like original angel-eyes but the V2 are also bright and not bad at all.
Ah nice - I did see those new Gold Orion's and think they look great. I love the stock look, but I do like the white with the LeMans blue on my car.

And yes, I am all for upgrading the projectors on this project but I do want a stock look and direct fitment but with modern light intensity.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ah nice - I did see those new Gold Orion's and think they look great. I love the stock look, but I do like the white with the LeMans blue on my car.

And yes, I am all for upgrading the projectors on this project but I do want a stock look and direct fitment but with modern light intensity.
The EVOX-Rs are pretty much direct fitment, and will look stock when installed. I all I did was change the mounting screws for shorter ones. I'll take a picture later if you would like.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The EVOX-Rs are pretty much direct fitment, and will look stock when installed. I all I did was change the mounting screws for shorter ones. I'll take a picture later if you would like.
Yeah man for sure, I'd love to get a look at them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts