BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any photos of solder joints that can fail during/as a result of monkeying around with the solenoid board whilst engaged in the O-ring change?

When re soldering do you guys suck the old solder off and replace it or simply melt and re-wet?

And yes, I do have the Mr Vanos kit, but have ordered the factory rings to compare...Will post died by side photos when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO am i looking for a broken run on the board or a wire to post type of thing?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Never seen the Vanos board, however, I have dealt with a lot of broken and cold solder joints. Not sure if the original solder used is lead free solder, if so, it usually has a higher melting point and tends to be a bit more brittle that lead based solder.

Usually I will retouch/rewet the solder joints using a rosin core based solder. Usually lead based as this is what I have a lot of on hand. At times I will use to liquid flux if I think there is enough solder on the joint already or if there are closely spaced connections or terminals.

Have seen many problems when boards are run in either a wave solderer or IR solderer and the heavier/larger terminals tend not to heat up enough to get good solder flow and you can have cold or weak solder joints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts