BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys; from the Peake tool & relative to the 3k'ish consistent stumbling, what do you think this points to (cam sensors & MAFs ?) - Positive note; nothing VANOS related seems to be in play here; - thanks!

Table 18:

49 "Air mass sensor plausibility" ( two faults in one week - same code returned )

AE "Air fuel adaption, Cyl # 1-4" ( two faults in one week - same code returned )

AF "Air fuel adaption, Cyl # 5-8"

D3 "Misfire during warmup. Cyl# 7

81 ? (nothing referenced)

A6 ? (nothing referenced)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Re: Any Peake "code" experts want to deciper?

vics said:
OK guys; from the Peake tool & relative to the 3k'ish consistent stumbling, what do you think this points to (cam sensors & MAFs ?) - Positive note; nothing VANOS related seems to be in play here; - thanks!

Table 18:

49 "Air mass sensor plausibility" ( two faults in one week - same code returned )

AE "Air fuel adaption, Cyl # 1-4" ( two faults in one week - same code returned )

AF "Air fuel adaption, Cyl # 5-8"

D3 "Misfire during warmup. Cyl# 7

81 ? (nothing referenced)

A6 ? (nothing referenced)
It reads like MAFS' to me. I'd try swapping your two MAFS' and see if any errors are isolated to only a single MAFS. Although in my experience, if one goes, the other is likely on its way out too...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Also consider the Pre-Cat O2 sensors might be gone. O2 sensors are cheaper, and only slightly harder to replace.

How many miles are on your car?

I've had to replace my O2 sensors about every 35,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
louv said:
Also consider the Pre-Cat O2 sensors might be gone. O2 sensors are cheaper, and only slightly harder to replace.

How many miles are on your car?

I've had to replace my O2 sensors about every 35,000 miles.
HI - 35,000 miles.
Might this also explain the ocassional foul smell I'm experiencing (rotten eggs like) ?- thanks - V

·
Banned
386 Posts
I have the same 1st 3 errors... Im thinking is the maf sensors... probably will take the car to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Foul Smell? No I don't think either the MAFS or O2 sensors cause foul smells. Maybe you have a squirrel caught in the intake. ;)

Only 35k?!? Get Thee to a Dealer! Only we who are out of warranty should be Reading Tea Leaves & Peake Tools and swapping out our own parts!

:wroom:

·
Registered
610 Posts
louv said:
Foul Smell? No I don't think either the MAFS or O2 sensors cause foul smells.
Actually, when my MAFS' and CPS sensors were failing, I did have a foul smelling coming from the exhaust. I had attributed it to running too rich due to faulty sensors. As soon as I replaced the MAFS' and CPS, this foul smell went away.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
BlueBomber said:
Actually, when my MAFS' and CPS sensors were failing, I did have a foul smelling coming from the exhaust. I had attributed it to running too rich due to faulty sensors. As soon as I replaced the MAFS' and CPS, this foul smell went away.
I stand corrected. (unless you had a squirrel in your MAF, too!) :cool:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlueBomber said:
GREAT feedback - thanks !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts