BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi,

Yes, there's a few UK based E39 M5's which are supercharged. Have a look around this forum and other's like Pistonheads and bmw5.co.uk to see some of the ones which are known of and are around :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Excellent news to hear that you will be charging your car ! Which kit and setup have you decided on?!

Looking forward to see your build for it and your thoughts etc once all done !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Settled on an RK stage 1 kit mate. To me it just looks like the kit thats most thought out in terms of future proofing. Also i like the way its made by the enthusiast for the enthusiast.

The price is remarkable and really made ESS rethink with regard to their pricing which is why when you look on their site the VT560 Kit has not only been slashed to cheaper than their own kits for the M54's, but has been rethought out with larger injectors etc, most likely as a result of people on here finding out that they are marginal. Props to ESS for listening to users and owners.

I like the hearing of the stories that involved buyers with issues in that Jamie got back to them within hours at weekends or evenings and even went as far as to ship parts from his own setup to help guys out, to me thats more akin to forum mebers helping out a buddy as opposed to a company helping a purchaser. (Not that i plan on being a PITA to RK staff, but you never know what'll happen)

Throw in the plenum plates supplied with the RK kit and for me at least it seemed a great option. Not bashing ESS or any other supplier, i just picked RK based on what fit best for me.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Settled on an RK stage 1 kit mate. To me it just looks like the kit thats most thought out in terms of future proofing. Also i like the way its made by the enthusiast for the enthusiast.

The price is remarkable and really made ESS rethink with regard to their pricing which is why when you look on their site the VT560 Kit has not only been slashed to cheaper than their own kits for the M54's, but has been rethought out with larger injectors etc, most likely as a result of people on here finding out that they are marginal. Props to ESS for listening to users and owners.

I like the hearing of the stories that involved buyers with issues in that Jamie got back to them within hours at weekends or evenings and even went as far as to ship parts from his own setup to help guys out, to me thats more akin to forum mebers helping out a buddy as opposed to a company helping a purchaser. (Not that i plan on being a PITA to RK staff, but you never know what'll happen)

Throw in the plenum plates supplied with the RK kit and for me at least it seemed a great option. Not bashing ESS or any other supplier, i just picked RK based on what fit best for me.
Any particular reason you decided against the UK native Evolve kit? It seems to be very well thought out and immaculately built/machined.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Purely from a price perspective.

As far as i can remember the Evolve kit was priced somewhere around £6500 ($10800) in the UK.

The RK kit is around £4100 ($6800)with UK import duty, plus i get plenum plates with the RK kit.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Purely from a price perspective.

As far as i can remember the Evolve kit was priced somewhere around £6500 ($10800) in the UK.

The RK kit is around £4100 ($6800)with UK import duty, plus i get plenum plates with the RK kit.
That's not quite a direct comparison. The Evolve kit is intercooled, the stage 1 RK kit is not. If you compare RK stage 2 pricing to Evolves pricing, I think the difference will be less dramatic. But, Evolve doesn't have a stage 1 kit...

When do you get your kit? Are you doing the install yourself? What engine/car prep work did you do?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That was the price of the Evolve non inter-cooled kit.
Do you have a link to their UK pricing for both stage 1and stage 2? I was under the impression they weren't selling a non-intercooled kit.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like the pricing is £1000 higher with the intercooling option over there, in which case I would rather pay that and have the intercooler even if it made no more power just for reliability/less heatsoak sake.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It is a direct comparison. Evolve stage 1 is non intercooled and quoted at 520 to 550 BHP, thats the kit i quoted the price for. £5400 plus 20% VAT is £6480, thats $10800 for a stage 1

Post #37

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/212404-evolve-supercharger-kit-4.html

Stage 2 works out at £7500 plus VAT @ 20% = £9000. Thats just shy of $15000 USD. Thats quoted as 575-610BHP.

Post #60

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/212404-evolve-supercharger-kit-6.html

A stage 2 RK kit would net me $2000 retail plus VAT over my outlay so i could have that all in for under £5500 assuming RK didn't discount for the board on the upgrade to stage 2.

I'm not knocking the evolve products at all, however i simply couldn't justify the difference in price. £4000 vs £6480 stage 1, £5500 vs £9000 stage 2. All duty included.

Engine prep work will be rod ends and chain guides, i've already overhauled the vanos system and replaced most sensors throughout.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It is a direct comparison. Evolve stage 1 is non intercooled and quoted at 520 to 550 BHP, thats the kit i quoted the price for. £5400 plus 20% VAT is £6480, thats $10800 for a stage 1

Post #37

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/212404-evolve-supercharger-kit-4.html

Stage 2 works out at £7500 plus VAT @ 20% = £9000. Thats just shy of $15000 USD. Thats quoted as 575-610BHP.

Post #60

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/212404-evolve-supercharger-kit-6.html

A stage 2 RK kit would net me $2000 retail plus VAT over my outlay so i could have that all in for under £5500 assuming RK didn't discount for the board on the upgrade to stage 2.

I'm not knocking the evolve products at all, however i simply couldn't justify the difference in price. £4000 vs £6480 stage 1, £5500 vs £9000 stage 2. All duty included.

Engine prep work will be rod ends and chain guides, i've already overhauled the vanos system and replaced most sensors throughout.
My confusion was that on the US site, there is no cheaper option available for us. Both stage 1 and 2 are listed as intercooled. The only pricing listed is £7500 / $12500. Based on what you're listing though, the RK Stage 1 kit is a great price if you don't want to go intercooled right off the bat. I can't wait to see pictures of your setup / hear your impressions!

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
149 Posts

Post #37

Post #60

I was about to pull the trigger on the ESS system, but I may hold off until I have see lots of pictures of your RK kit when it arrives. ;)

Where are you getting your rod bearings and chain guides done? I live in Shropshire, finding anyone local that has done the job before, is impossible. Phil at CPC seems to know his stuff, but is no short journey.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The biggest issue with the ESS kit is the fact the charger is on the wrong side to easily facilitate fitting a intercooler at a later date.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts