BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the recommendatoin of other board members, I rented Ronin last night. Was the E34 an M5 or not? I saw no front badge and couldn't get a read on the rear, but it sure did sound like an M5.
Thanks-great movie.
TripleD

PS Any other great car movies?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
The 7 UPs. (At least that's what I think the name of the movie is).

I'm dating myself here. And the memory problem goes with it.

And just how many hubcaps does one car loose in 1 chase scene? (5).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Not sure if the E34 used was a genuine E34 M5, but the soundtrack was pure S38! Had the rims too.
The Transporter had a cool E38 in the intro chase. Movie otherwise was unremarkable.
The original Italian Job had a really cool Mini chase scene near the end, but you have to suffer through some sub par movie moments to get there. Worth it in the end.
Bullitt was worth it. Ok movie with a great scene that spawned the genre.
BMWfilms.com has some really good ones too if you havent checked those out.
Let us know what you watched and how you liked it!
:cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do any of you old farts remember "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry"? It starred Peter Fonda circa '73 or '74. It had a '69 Dodge Charger with a lot of great chase scenes. I haven't been able to find it on DVD. I know I'm dating myself with this one...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Vanishing Point! One of the movies that turned me on to cars (although I've never been a Mopar fan...)

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "+" options except PDC

... and former '70 4-4-2 owner.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Best car movies:
Ronin, Bullitt, and the BMW Films for the above reasons.

Nobody has mentioned the worst car movies:
Driven - totally worthless movie, good but crazy special effects. Every wreck was absurdly spectacular and after Stalone sees his friend fly off into the lake, he stops the car and runs to rescue him!
Fast & Furious - they show one car's engine blow apart and coast to a stop. A moment later he drives off! Then there is a 1/4 mile chase that takes 60 seconds with 800hp cars. It wasn't even shot in slow motion. I lost count how many times he upshifted!
Honorable mention (best & worst):
Days of Thunder - Unrealistic to any Nascar fan. However, I enjoyed the rental car race through town. When they arrived late to dinner with totally smashed up rentals, their excuse was "car trouble. Yeah, mine too"

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
BmwNut said:
Not sure if the E34 used was a genuine E34 M5, but the soundtrack was pure S38! Had the rims too.

BMWfilms.com has some really good ones too if you havent checked those out.
I was a little bummed that the e39 M5 BMWfilm was more comedic than dramatic. I liked the other, edgier BMWfilms a little more, and thought the M5 would have been an ideal action candidate.

The Ronin M5 possibly a fake? Say it isn't so. I'll have to drag it out and watch more closely... :eek:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Most car chase "stars" are fake. They might use a real one for closeups but it would be to expensive and risky to subject the real thing to the stunts. Besides, if you were a car enthusiast, would you subject such rare cars to such torture as jumps and dinged fenders? Cars that are fakes for sure are the Nash Bridges Hemi Cuda, the General Lee, even some of the Star M5 scenes are of a fake M5.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ronin is great. I love the intro scene from The Transporter, for anyone who hasn't seen that must check it out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
"LeMans", starring Steve Mcqueen, is my all time favorite automobile related movie. No BMWs, but the epic battles between Porsche and Ferrari at LeMans are well illustrated in this hardcore movie, which has minimal fluff and maximal action. :wroom:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Don't forget Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix" of 1966. Race scenes were awesome; rest of movie, so-so. James Garner also drove a pretty cool black and gold Shelby GT 350H in it. At least I think it was an "H". "H" as in "Hertz" the rental car people. Anyway Hertz bought a special fleet of black and gold Shelbys and rented them! Can you imagine showing up for an SCCA race on some weekend back then with a RENTED Shelby? :M5launch:

·
Registered
264 Posts
AmirBimmer said:
Ronin is great. I love the intro scene from The Transporter, for anyone who hasn't seen that must check it out.
I agree with the chase seen in The Transporter. I've watch that one a few times. It's really well done.

Ronin rocks too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Albeit not a car movie, I always get a great kick when I watch the chase scene in The Rock. That yellow F355 just looked ridiculous.

·
Registered
897 Posts
schnelleM5 said:
"LeMans", starring Steve Mcqueen, is my all time favorite automobile related movie. No BMWs, but the epic battles between Porsche and Ferrari at LeMans are well illustrated in this hardcore movie, which has minimal fluff and maximal action. :wroom:

I second that. I watched it again recently. For an older movie the audio and video is really good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
schnelleM5 said:

I am with you SchnelleM5,

Lemans is my favorite car movie of all time too. Almost no dialogue and a really lousy romantic subplot, however the cars and driving are just fantastic.

Regards

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Whiteyford said:
I agree with the chase seen in The Transporter. I've watch that one a few times. It's really well done.

Ronin rocks too.
The Transporter is my favorite. The star (Jason Statham) owns/drives/modifies/washes a BMW in the flick. Marshall arts, guns, cars, pretty girl, chase scenes, humor, great soundtrack, what more could you ask for? I like the part in the middle of a car chase, he stops to let a motion-sick passenger throw up out the window and says "Do you mind - I just conditioned the leather back there...".
:hihi:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts