BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a e60 m5 with smg. I found that in some situation such as drift to take a u-turn is a little suck without clutch.
So I am considering a manual swap.
there is no manual version in my contry.
6 speed manual is possible using m3 manual gearbox
but why not got u self a bad *** 7speed manual!
I have a great idea that can transforme smg III to 7 speed manual.
Here is it:
smg III is controled by hydralic
first convert the clutch to a pedal that's easy.
second is a little complicated
we need to fabracate a hydralic stick shifter with 4 slider cylinder, 3position each.
although the shift pattern is not a normal manual pattern on smg III but with 8 hydralic cables, we can convert that weird pattern to a normal maunual pattern .
on the gearbox side: mod the 8 cable into stock valve
fill it with fluid.
to the last. flash the ecu to a manual version!!

Any one intrested in this project?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Technical hurdles aside..

I don't think the patterns is practical and prone to driver error and over rev, unless you can do a gated shifter or really long throws.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technical hurdles aside..

I don't think the patterns is practical and prone to driver error and over rev, unless you can do a gated shifter or really long throws.

No,the pattern is not a problem at all. With hydralic lines, we can transform it to a normal pattern

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve thought about this before and wondered why it was never talked about... I would be interested if someone developed it! I think it’s as easy as you think though, this sounds like a pretty big project

·
Registered
942 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve thought about this before and wondered why it was never talked about... I would be interested if someone developed it! I think it’s as easy as you think though, this sounds like a pretty big project
Yeah,it is possible but a big project

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you can do it! I look forward to watching the progress.

I once (seriously) converted a Geo Metro from Auto to Manual and from 4 cylinder gasoline to 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. The fun was in doing the project. as long as this isn't your daily I think it could be a great experiment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
planejob
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing