BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im still shopping for the wife something, I have noticed the 540 are dropping like crazy with the 6 speed. They seem to be over $10K less than a M5 with the same miles, So because this will be the wifes cars i figured keep the extra cash and puck up a 01-02 540I 6 speed.

Is there anything i should look out for on them?

Also is the wheel and bolt pattern the same as on other BMW'S. I was thinking a Titianum silver 540 with H&R spring and mybe those 20" wheels that come on the 760 if they will work. says the wheels are 20x10 in., 5 lug, 120mm bolt pattern. 24mm offset. I have no clue what the 540 is. Also do you think 20 would be to big?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would get nothing older than an '01. Reasons are you get the angel eyes, rear LED lights, and the newer navigation screen (16x9) and updated computer. I have 19's on my car. I have seen 20's but I would not recommend it. You will have problems if you want to lower the car in the future. Hope this helps. :byee55amg

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've actually seen an E39 with the Style 32's in 20", and you don't need to buy knock offs, BMW makes them in 20". You can search the Roadfly E39 section for a member called Twenties I believe..

Here's a pic..

·
Registered
682 Posts
Don't listen to all that nonsense about getting a 2001 and up. My car has the updated items same style wheels dinan intake dinan chip and it FOR SALE!

You can save even more money by buying my spectacular ride and then get some 20"s for your M5.

Check it out at my website below...:byebye:

·
Registered
439 Posts
it would be nice if those pix actually loaded too!
i have a 97 and its fine, the e39 540i's do seem to have more problems than the m5 . try to get a cpo , or some one as dumb as me that bought one not cpo'd one and spent 11k to get it back to normal... hiha
the only reason i would consider a 2001 or newer is the updates mentioned above and the sport seats are nicer in the 2001 or newer imho.
i think my 97 is faster than the new ones though , i've beat a few on the hwy and from a stop..
i have mine for sale too but not really , i think i want to keep it as a beater when i buy my m5!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Pics should load easily. Do you not see them?

·
Registered
330 Posts
My biz partner has a very nice clean 99 540i (AT) black on black for sale all w/ all OEM Hella Clear euro light updates bought new from Bekkers.com.

Has 19" Stagger Breyton Magics, Eisenmann exhaust, RD springs, Bilstein shocks,

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=575 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Complete M(sport) package ie. M steering wheel, M seats, M suspension</TD></TR><TR><TD>Brand new slotted rotors, and new pads.

PM or email me if interested i can send pics.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've had both a 2000 M5 and a 97 540i 6spd.
Just sold off the M5 and drive the 540i almost everyday now.
For a car that has 106200 miles(just looked at it as I pulled in the garage)it runs great doesn't miss a beat.

But the biggest problem I've had would be the front struts.
REPLACE THE STOCK ONES RIGHT AWAY(w/Konisports).
The lower spring plate cracks and hits the tyre when it snaps.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Kerr said:
Also is the wheel and bolt pattern the same as on other BMW'S. I was thinking a Titianum silver 540 with H&R spring and mybe those 20" wheels that come on the 760 if they will work. says the wheels are 20x10 in., 5 lug, 120mm bolt pattern. 24mm offset. I have no clue what the 540 is. Also do you think 20 would be to big?
The hub centerbore is unique to the BMW E39 5-Series, including the 540i and the M5. A wheel from any other BMW model will not fit the E39 because of this. Wheels designed to be hubcentric on a BMW 760i will not fit over the hub of the 540i. The bolt pattern is the same, but the hub centerbore is 1.6mm larger in diameter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ray540inyc said:
the e39 540i's do seem to have more problems than the m5
I'm not so sure about that. It might seem like there are more problematic 540s than m5s, but that's probably because there are just more 540s out there than m5s. Kind of like when they say the Honda Accord is the most stolen car. half the reason why it's the most stolen is because there are more Accords out there to steal than any other car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 2001 M5 with 37k on it and a 1997 540i/6 with 149k -- the 540 runs like new -- I use it as my daily driver and I have a trailer hitch on it that I use to pull a boat and a utility trailer. I've got a second set of rims and snow tires for the winter -- they are also interchangeable with the M5. I'm the original owner and plan to drive it into the ground. They are both great cars.

·
Registered
439 Posts
lets compare notes shall we:
radiator
radiator expander tank
thermostat housing
cooling fan
wheel bearings front and rear
door handles <this never happened to me
valve cover gaskets
cps
rear diff clip
sway bar link ends (front)
window regulators
power seat switches
02 sensors
catz
premature tire wear
umm i know theres more but its late

water pumps

Hampton said:
I'm not so sure about that. It might seem like there are more problematic 540s than m5s, but that's probably because there are just more 540s out there than m5s. Kind of like when they say the Honda Accord is the most stolen car. half the reason why it's the most stolen is because there are more Accords out there to steal than any other car.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The 540/6 is a great car. Best car I ever owned (over the M5). Very reliable and very underrated power wise IMHO. Things to look out for include the radiater and cooling system (plastic parts on radiator, waterpump, hoses, etc), brake wear, tire wear, and the darn clutch delay valve (which needs to be removed immediately IMHO). Other then that, my '97 was bulletproof for me. Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Kerr said:
im still shopping for the wife something, I have noticed the 540 are dropping like crazy with the 6 speed. They seem to be over $10K less than a M5 with the same miles, So because this will be the wifes cars i figured keep the extra cash and puck up a 01-02 540I 6 speed.

Is there anything i should look out for on them?

Just give her the vette that should keep her quiet for a while
WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
suspensio said:
Had a 97 and loved it. It was totally problem free and I had the comfort seats which I loved. Great Car.
Yeah great car and all that but come on it is not an M5 has around 260 horses and is therefore a pedestrian vehicle, so get a 540i and then go out and spend all your money on M5 Mirrors spoilers wheels etc etc, you will save money on the clutch but dont forget to pick up your pension book. Yawwwwwnnnnnnnnzzzzz

I will pay for the clutch every 50,000 miles just to experience the rush - its worth the extra 7cents a mile:1:

WillM5AD

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
willm5ad said:
Yeah great car and all that but come on it is not an M5 has around 260 horses and is therefore a pedestrian vehicle
WillM5AD
That 260 HP figure is about 10% low... anyway, I think the 32V 4.4L peak HP output hardly defines 540i as pedestrian. When you take your M5 to a world-class road racing track and get passed by a 270 HP 911 or 240 HP M3 with a couple bolt-on's, you'll know what I mean. A 540i sport offers a well-balanced package of performance and luxury that's equal to (same as) M5 in many respects. If acceleration is really the main goal, a $5K Chevy Camaro with a Jasper motor bolted in will run 10's & offer a bigger rush. In a straight line, the future V10 M5 will get ******* badly. Around here, sub-10 second ponycars are common, sporting $3500 superchargers, $1600 cylinder heads, $1100 race-quality engine blocks and deep gearing. M5 won't be king of the hill at my local McDonald's. That's not what the M5 E39 is about.

Anyway, let's not lose sight that this purchase is being considered for a woman for non-performance daily use. I've always chucked seeing folks driving around in flashy, high power cars who never exceed 1/2 throttle or 0.3 G. They get beat up by a taunt suspension for no good reason. This can only be described as the "wrong" vehicle. It was interesting to observe folks who got excited when they sensed a bit of "non-sport" E39 ride quality, after installing ACS DFC adjustable suspension. IMO, an M5 offers few benefits over 540i, unless you're using sustained full throttle on a regular basis. Anyway, I extract more performance from my 540i than many Viper, M3, M5, Porsche & Corvette owners, so it seems the driver is the limiting factor. The 540i seems well-balanced from a handling and power perspective. I have no interest in angel eyes either. I can not see them when I'm driving...exactly what is their purpose? :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
willm5ad said:
Yeah great car and all that but come on it is not an M5 has around 260 horses and is therefore a pedestrian vehicle
The 540 is rated at 282-290hp and 315-324 ft-lbs from the factory depending on year. The pre-VANOS (97-98) were very underrated. Just ask Greco about that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea im not to worried about the power, I mean a M5 would be grate, as would a RS6 or 03+ E55. But the thing is this. We have a corvette not that she dives its, 67 model, and we have a single turbo toyota supra that should do 1,000hp to the ground on race with out the nitrous. So for her to drive to work and daycare i think the 6 speed would be plenty of fun. Yea ill beat the heck out of it like i do all the other cars but when it come to paying $30K or less for a 01 540 with 40K miles, You have to pay close to $50K just to get in a M that still has warranty on it. Also gas is $2.09 a gallon here right now and the Gwagon she drives gets 11.4 avg mpg in town and 13.2 on the high way. It does not sound like a lot but in a day she drives from the house to daycare, work, back to daycare and home. 50 miles. so it works out to be $9.18 a day if she does not go any place that ads up to close to $300 a month in gas!

I dont really plan on anything, she is simple and so am i, figured Jet black on black or silver on black, set of spring, and new wheels and tires. Then just ride it. Maybe a intake and exhaust one day. Granted it will never be a M5 but for playing on the street i would think a 540 would still be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Kerr said:
Granted it will never be a M5 but for playing on the street i would think a 540 would still be a lot of fun.
I owned an '01 for about 3 years - it'll be a ton of fun while being (in stock form) a quieter and smoother driver than the M5. I don't think it's fair to say that the
M5 offers few performance benefits over the 540. But with those benefits come compromises and for the type of driving your wife does, it seems that a 540 would be the better fit. Just plan on installing a short shift kit and getting a modified CDV valve from Dave Zeckhausen.
:M5thumbs:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts