BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I recalled seeing a post referencing this a while back but I can't remember what it said, and can't find it again.

08 with 88k miles, original clutch and FW(can hardly believe this). No leaks, no SMG issues, no slipping. I'm interested in doing the Euro tune from all the good things I read about it. Are there are negative consequences to doing it? Will I send my 88k mile clutch to its demise earlier? Future SMG issues? Is there any validity to the notion that Euro cars have more SMG issues? Maybe a result of the tune?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not that I know of. I’ve had issues with the euro dme flash but non with the smg flash. About the only difference is that it will start out in second gear in d or if you don’t completely stop. Launch is WAY better too. Do it, do it.

·
2,601 Posts
Same here. Been years since I did it.

@Alan Arnesen started the rumor that euro pressures are higher. But he's fixed every bit on the smg except for the #1 culprit pump motor / motor brushes so there's that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Same here. Been years since I did it.

@Alan Arnesen started the rumor that euro pressures are higher. But he's fixed every bit on the smg except for the #1 culprit pump motor / motor brushes so there's that.
Don't want to let that one go? I observed higher pressures and had more faults and took the tune out, that is the truth

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like that would be easy enough to confirm if that were the case on all euro tuned cars though too right?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I ran euro for 3 years now and all my smg issues were related to gps harness and a pump with 130k. Now that I’ve fixed the harness and replaced the pump. All is good. So I wouldn’t hesitate to run euro, nor would I go back to US tune.

·
Registered
420 Posts
IIRC (YMMV) - the US spec cars had a standard US BMW warranty 4yr/50,000 miles. Euro cars had 2yr/24,000 miles warranty.
I recall hearing (on the internet) that BMW did not want to warrant cars with the Euro spec tune for 4yr/50k. That is where the "neutered" US tune came from. Mostly related to the change in launch control.

Anyone else hear or recall this? Or am I really getting old? :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran euro for 3 years now and all my smg issues were related to gps harness and a pump with 130k. Now that I’ve fixed the harness and replaced the pump. All is good. So I wouldn’t hesitate to run euro, nor would I go back to US tune.
Did you actually replace the whole pump, or just the motor?

·
2,601 Posts
IIRC (YMMV) - the US spec cars had a standard US BMW warranty 4yr/50,000 miles. Euro cars had 2yr/24,000 miles warranty.
I recall hearing (on the internet) that BMW did not want to warrant cars with the Euro spec tune for 4yr/50k. That is where the "neutered" US tune came from. Mostly related to the change in launch control.

Anyone else hear or recall this? Or am I really getting old? :)
Yes, that's the thought as to why BMW removed launch control on US cars. I mean 4k launches does burn some clutch and US loves lawsuits so can't blame them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Did you actually replace the whole pump, or just the motor?
I replaced the pump and sonic cleaned the solenoids and shift block, replaced o rings clutch slave(only because the boot was torn) and did a new clutch, just because I was there. And as previously stated did the “fix” to gps harness. Now my smg is flawless.

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
Just to clarify, I seem to recall you mentioned several months back that you replaced the motor from MLR and there may have been an issue with the wiring and they sent you a new one. Replacing the pump is something else and finding a new one is basically impossible. I think that’s what OP was asking, motor or pump?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to clarify, I seem to recall you mentioned several months back that you replaced the motor from MLR and there may have been an issue with the wiring and they sent you a new one. Replacing the pump is something else and finding a new one is basically impossible. I think that’s what OP was asking, motor or pump?
Gmtegear you are correct. That's what I was asking. Whole new pump unit vs just motor. Even used pump assemblies on eBay are like $3,000

·
Registered
689 Posts
No doubt that is you have a new SMG system I doubt you will have problems. It is easy to put in and take out if you do.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yup MLR smg pump motor. I cleaned and changed o rings in smg unit. It was just my luck that the first pump didn’t work. I never heard from them why though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup MLR smg pump motor. I cleaned and changed o rings in smg unit. It was just my luck that the first pump didn’t work. I never heard from them why though.
I don't mean to get too far off topic here, but does the whole trans have to be dropped to do that work?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Only the wiring harness and the gear solenoids. All of the motor, pump reservoir, shift solenoid can be done by just lowering the transmission.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't mean to get too far off topic here, but does the whole trans have to be dropped to do that work?
The work I did, yes. Pump replacement, no. Considering the problems with the gps harness, it would be foolish not to drop trans and do a “refresh”. I learned that lesson 100%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts