BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a drive over the weekend, and heard a ticking noise from transmission tunnel between front seats. After some testing decided that it is the drive shaft as noise stops when clutch is pressed, and increase with road speed. Sounds like a click for each revolution. Sounds like metal against metal I was thinking a loose bolt fouling on something?? anyone got any idea??

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there is a heat-shield or something to that effect running above and along side the drive shaft....at least this was the case with my E36 M3. I remember once having the car on a lift and seeing that if the shield isn't properly secured, it directly contacts the drive shaft assembly. Not sure if this is the case wiith the M5 however. DO a quick visual inspection and more than likely you'll be able to tell if there is anything contacting the rotating shaft, as it will have left a distinct mark. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds possible, I'm trying to get access to a ramp so I can have a good look sometime this week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts