BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are many ways - most of which would sacrifice lots of luxury items. As for a spare, there is none. You have an M Mobility kit instead.

I have lightened my 911 Carrera considerably for the track but again you lose everything except for "what you need". A/C gone, radio, amp, speakers, gone. Lightweight battery, no cruise control, removed rear seats, removed sound deadening etc. Installed Recaro lightweight seats. These things save around 100-120 lbs. For a 2400 lb car that is very noticeable and definitely gain some HP. Stuff you can feel seat of the pants.

For the M5 - a 4000 lb beast - you wouldn't even feel it. You would need to remove about 200-300 lbs. for you to noticeably feel a difference in the M5. You are talking a total interior strip along with lost of other stuff. Not worth it IMO.

<O:p</O:p

I always wondered what an M5 in race trim would feel like - bet it would be a blast.

<O:p</O:p

-Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aftermarket upgraded exhaust will save at least 50 pounds, plus the power and sound improvements.

·
Registered
267 Posts
would imagine rotors and calipers would make a noticable difference too along with light wheels. Loose 10lbs a corner and you will notice a HUGE diffence. CF hood, trunk lid, fenders etc. How crazy do you want to get?

·
Registered
368 Posts
The carpet/sound proofing in the floor of the 5 series is about 4 inches thick and must weigh a ton! The seats are massively heavy ask anyone who's had to move any seat with that many electric motors in it(and though you say you don't want to remove them they are the most obvious weight saving and if you shop carefully shouldn't be a comfort downgrade.(they also don't have to be a permanent change.)

The disc changer/amp combo are very heavy and so is the tool kit and all the other boot trim.

As you say a 4000lb car, has to lose a lot of weight to make a difference its not as much as you think as its standard engine power is 400bhp. And this game is all about power to weight ration. (Unsprung weight is the first place to start though and thats wheels and brakes and lightweight wheels are as common as muck!)

Would be a crying shame to go this path though as the car is the most luxurious cabin of any of the cars i've owned. And is still stinkingly quick.

A better idea would be to buy yourself the previous shape M3 for peanuts and strip it to the bones. back to the metal inside.. and every bit of luxury under the bonnet(Aircon etc) Or go buy an old Caterham 7 Supersport.

Anyway.. just my 2p worth

DMC

B

·
0 Posts
There are a lot of things that can be done. Here is a place to start:

- New light-weight front seats.
- New integrated GPS/DVD/CD headunit with fold-out screen, and remove headunit and all trunk mounted (left-side) equipment.
- 10" subwoofer in carbon fiber enclosure in trunk.
- Carbon fiber hood.
- Carbon fiber CAI, and remove heavy stock airboxes.
- Carbon fiber upper plenum.
- Light-weight wheels.
- Light-weight brakes.
- Remove coin holder.
- Remove door compartments.
- Remove floormats.
- Remove M-mobility, and foam padding.

Any further than this and your changes will become visible or the M5 will lose some of it's luxury.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
First and likely the best step is to buy a GT3 :)

Lets face it it's a luxery sedan and it's great at what it is.

But if you wanna go pointlessly nuts heres some stuff.

Wheels
Brakes
lightweight seats
chunk the carpet and padding
remove the dash and wood
loose the backseat
loose the a/c
remove the headliner
dump the stereo
tubi exhaust
c/f hood
c/f fenders
c/f boot

that would help you loose a good deal of weight and you would feel it at that point.

Course then you'd really want to upgrade the suspention.

:byee55amg

Of course I like all that stuff I just listed to take out. :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im with these guys on this ... if you want a race car .. buy a race car .. these are 4000lb sport/cruisers not caterhams ..

Enjoy the ride .. theres very little point in lightening it .. ! or get on the slimfast programme ..! :1:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
you can save some weight with wheels, brakes, clutch, but it really won't make a noticeable difference. If you spend a lot of money and time on further weight reduction it still won't be significant and will screw up the car

Suspension, brakes, clutch, and big front tires are all necessary if you want to track the car and live with the weight (and expense of tire and brake consumption), but if you really want a serious track car, buy a lighter car

·
Registered
927 Posts
SoonToBeM5 said:
like lighter wheels, no spare,.......?
and no taking out any seatshiha
I would start with unprung weight--Dinan wheels are forged and very light. Also, the real high end Brembo brakes (can't remember the name) saves about 30 pounds per side in the front. These are high dollar solutions and preserves your car.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I went through this effort when my car was new. I came up with all sorts of stuff to remove. The problem is the car quickly change its ride height and rake to some degree. The wheel clearance and level stance of the car were changed. It didn't look good and I could notice the difference big time. You can see too much of the rear underpinnings of the M5 when it is raised up like that. I put all of the stock stuff back and it looked better. Little details can make a big difference in how an M5 looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts