BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,704 Posts
I have it, fits well. Didn't notice a difference in performance, maybe a small change in intake noise. It's the same design as Dinan's, just constructed from metal. Disadvantage is the air charge heats slightly more because the metal is more heat conductive than carbon fiber (a la Dinan). But at the rate the air is being sucked up, it's not a big difference.

What are you looking to get out of this? Do you want performance, or simply some eye candy under the hood? It really isn't worth the money from a performance standpoint IMO (unless you are going all out with larger MAF's, TB's & VS's)

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I have it, fits well. Didn't notice a difference in performance, maybe a small change in intake noise. It's the same design as Dinan's, just constructed from metal. Disadvantage is the air charge heats slightly more because the metal is more heat conductive than carbon fiber (a la Dinan). But at the rate the air is being sucked up, it's not a big difference.

What are you looking to get out of this? Do you want performance, or simply some eye candy under the hood? It really isn't worth the money from a performance standpoint IMO (unless you are going all out with larger MAF's, TB's & VS's)

I'm going to quibble: you cannot say "its the same design as dinan, just metal" since metal TOTALLY DEFEATS the design concept! "Shape", yes.

You are somewhat correct that it isn't a big deal at WOT, at 100MPH...the heat gain to the intake tract is a small factor. BUT, cruising around town, light to light, the heat soak and intake temp rise (and the DME will YANK timing when it sees this) will result in a pig of a car.

My 2 cents.

I do wholeheartedly agree that performance gains in THIS car are the culmination of many links- intake, TBs, headers, etc. So many people see all that, then opt for only a piece that they can install on Saturday, and waste their money.

A

PS yes, I am quibbling..... :) Have you run yours in the Sacto summers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts