BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to settle this once and for all.. No vids of clear race between E39 ESS and E60 stock.. I think ESS E39 will have it hands still full from rolling start about 60 or so.. A member with E39 ESS on the board in the area willing to provide ESS E39.. Need E60 stock.. or close to stock.. I have E39 and will prob get E60 around summer.. The only local member with E60 close to me is not ready to do full on race since he is having SMG issues..

Any takers.. This is local to MD, VA or DC area.. or whoever can get close to the area..
This is not an irresponsible task.. venue will be selected for no cops, clear day, light traffic, etc..

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I will provide the ESS powered E39. As Javacore99 said, only in a safe place and only for fun. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
i have a e60 stock m5

happy to participate so long its in a safe place...and NO chance of cops or disturbing local populace that would call the cops..lol

is there a track in MD?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Guys, There is a private track rental this Friday at MIR that I will be racing at. That is the safest venue possible. Can anyone do this?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Guys, There is a private track rental this Friday at MIR that I will be racing at. That is the safest venue possible. Can anyone do this?
i'm free this Friday, but i have no experience in being on the track :dunno: will that be an issue? =

how much will it be and do they have helmets to rent?

always wanted to go on the track...

I'm off work until the 24th...

edit:

looked it up on google maps, its a straight away, shouldn't be a lot of skill involved right? lol

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Clemster..

You must have a private group this fri? I thought MIR was not doing their public races until April.. I'm not sure i don't go there.. I do most of my stuff on the streets which is prob not ideal.. lol..

If it is in early eve then i can somehow get me wife to watch my son so i can get there.. it is not too far from me since im in Bowie..
Whatever time you guys decide is fine with me i get home around 5:30-6PM.. plus im just a curious spectator.. :cool:

Mdyaman.. i don' think too much stuff involved to do heads up race at track.. warm up tires little bit on highway or when you get there.. should not be too cold.. just shift right i guess.. and be ready.. i've seen Clemster's videos and he is very good.. I think you will need a helmet if faster than certain speeds which both cars i think will be.. Clem can chime in.. I know they do 1/4 mile but not sure how you work in 60 roll to say 130 or so since i think V10 is better out of first gear.. Lots of questions.. Clemster please chime in..

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Mdyaman.. i don' think too much stuff involved to do heads up race at track.. warm up tires little bit on highway or when you get there.. should not be too cold.. just shift right i guess.. and be ready.. i've seen Clemster's videos and he is very good.. I think you will need a helmet if faster than certain speeds which both cars i think will be.. Clem can chime in.. I know they do 1/4 mile but not sure how you work in 60 roll to say 130 or so since i think V10 is better out of first gear.. Lots of questions.. Clemster please chime in..
haha, yeah i'm sure clemster will spank me! I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and would like to get some videos.

but i'm done for some fun. I've never taken my m5 to the track, or really pushed it.

Hope MIR has helmet rentals.

I'm free all day, just traffic picks up in the evening b/c of Friday rush hour traffic. But i'm down, even if its just to watch

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Clemster..

You must have a private group this fri? I thought MIR was not doing their public races until April.. I'm not sure i don't go there.. I do most of my stuff on the streets which is prob not ideal.. lol..

If it is in early eve then i can somehow get me wife to watch my son so i can get there.. it is not too far from me since im in Bowie..
Whatever time you guys decide is fine with me i get home around 5:30-6PM.. plus im just a curious spectator.. :cool:

Yes, it's a private rental and MIR will open for us anytime we ask so long as we meet the minimun $$$$. We never have a problem with this. It's $100 a head to run all day. Unfortunately for you, doors open at 9:00 a.m. and we generally wrap up at 5:00 p.m. We usually get 30-40 cars, mostly BMW's and AMG's plus several GTR's, Z06's and some exotics mixed in. It's a great group of guys and some serious cars are always in attendance.

Mdyaman,

They run one lane for street tires, one for drag radials or slicks. This way we can go heads up. Since I run drag radials, we can work out way to even things up a bit. I'd be happy to lend you a helmet and give you some pointers. It's not difficult stuff but knowing the basic really helps. It really is a lot of fun and racing without a lot of people watching makes things easier. No pressure.....runs as few or a many times as you like.

A buddy of mine will bring his vbox so we can log some 60-130 runs. MIR has a long breakdown area, over 3000', which is the distance beyond the 1/4 mark. Plenty of room to do 60-130's.

We meet at the Wawa on Rt. 5 in Brandywine at 8-8:15 and then caravan down from there. The address:

16420 McKendree Rd</SPAN>
Brandywine, MD 20613

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
We meet at the Wawa on Rt. 5 in Brandywine at 8-8:15 and then caravan down from there. The address:
so 8:00 am it is

do they accept credit cards for the entry fee?

and yes, pls bring a helmet so i can borrow!

i'm running stock tires ....all i have at this time.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
so 8:00 am it is

do they accept credit cards for the entry fee?

and yes, pls bring a helmet so i can borrow!

i'm running stock tires ....all i have at this time.
You'll need cash.

No problem on the helmet. I just pick up a new one and have two.

Many guys run on stock tires. Adjusting air pressure down a bit can help.

See you there!

I'll PM you my phone number so we can touch base if one of us is running late.

-Adam

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
You'll need cash.

No problem on the helmet. I just pick up a new one and have two.

Many guys run on stock tires. Adjusting air pressure down a bit can help.

See you there!

I'll PM you my phone number so we can touch base if one of us is running late.

-Adam
good deal, thanks for the helmet hook up!

see you Friday!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doors open at 9:00 a.m. and we generally wrap up at 5:00 p.m. We usually get 30-40 cars, mostly BMW's and AMG's plus several GTR's, Z06's and some exotics mixed in. It's a great group of guys and some serious cars are always in attendance.

Sucks.. big time.. i will be @ work.. got a major project that will keep me at work until 3:30 or so.. Im sure you guys will get good videos.. I proposed the 60-130 runs to even things up a little since im sure the ESS E39 will walk the V10 from 1st gear no doubt about that in my mind.. Slicks will def still give the ESS an edge but not as much as from a dig since there should be some grip by 60 to make the race not too one sided but we will see..

I know i have been waiting for this for a long time and so is a lot of people on the board.. thanks Clemster and Mdyaman for stepping up and making this happen..

I will be eagerly looking for any updates Friday afternoon.. or evening.. Good Luck..:wroom:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
thanks Clemster and Mdyaman for stepping up and making this happen..
clemster is going to have to show me a few pointers to ensure i know what i'm doing when i get there...lol :wroom:

hope i don't embarrass myself to the entire m5board community for being a noob and shifting wrong :grinyes:

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
clemster is going to have to show me a few pointers to ensure i know what i'm doing when i get there...lol :wroom:

hope i don't embarrass myself to the entire m5board community for being a noob and shifting wrong :grinyes:
No worries about embarrassing yourself. It's a very relaxed scene. I'm sure the guys would love to see and hear your car go down the track. I can only remember one other E60 M5 at a track rental and the guy was on his cell phone as he ran with his girlfriend doing a ride along (no longer allowed). I don't think he ever made it all the way down the track. With few pointers, you're guaranteed to do better than him. I'll walk you through you first couple of runs. Piece of cake!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
clemster,

got a fellow e60 m5 owner that would possibly like to attend (if he can clear his schedule). He would just like to spectate though, would he still need to pay $100 entry fee for just watching?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
clemster,

got a fellow e60 m5 owner that would possibly like to attend (if he can clear his schedule). He would just like to spectate though, would he still need to pay $100 entry fee for just watching?
Spectating is free!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts