BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all again! So I have noticed some more issues in my recently puchased 02 M5 and I want to get them resolved before the warranty runs out. I wont even think of asking the dealer because Ill get the generic answer "its normal" . So my car has 47K miles and Ihave noticed that the trans is a bit stiff going into second gear its almost notchy. I told the dealer and they said that they could not verify the concern, but they have replaced some shifter bushings. Well, I still can feel the problem being there. I took the time and I replaced the supposed "lifetime" fluid in the trans with new stuff which by the way was updated. When I drained the old fluid it looked dark almost gray this is something not too common for me to see on manual transmission fluid on the car make that I specialize in (mazda) So I was wondering how the transmissions are holding up in these cars and what to do. The second item of concern this round is the backlash/howling noise coming from the diff it comes when im on the gas while cruising and slightly lift off and then apply sounds like a typical diff gear noise for which we at mazda used to replace the diff unit for . I drove a higher milage car which I did not purchase which had a very noticable differential noise in it. My car has noise but it is faint but it is there, again it seems not right for a car of this caliber. I would apprecialte any input and i thank you all. Ivan

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Slightly notchy synchro engagement is pretty common on the Getrag 226 box. If it is crunching, failing to engage or not holding in gear then there is an issue. Most if not all of the E39 540's and M5's I have driven are slightly stiff through the gates, especially if you are used to buttery smooth gearboxes (ie a fair amount of the Mazda lineup). Dark color I hear is common with the oil, but I'll let someone else who has seen it first hand chime in on that one.
For the most part (aside from random cases), the 226 is a stout well put together box that can handle all the HP you can throw at it.
:cheers:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts