BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing in the next few weeks. And I'm looking at a 03 M5 and a 06 M45. I've driven the M5 and it was just awesome, I've yet to drive the M45.
What I'm curious about is the technology between the two.
The 06 M45 is loaded with gadgets that was not yet available in the 03 M5.
I doubt I will track the car, so from a pure driving pleasure, is there anyone who has owned both vehicles or compared them already that can give me some input.
Also a consideration is the maintenance. I would guess the M5 would command higher costs in this department?

All input welcomed.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
how can you compare the two. the m5 is known to be the best 4 door sedan ever built. yes the infinity might have some more gagets to entice you but the pure driveing experience comes from the m5. the m5 will out perform the infinity in handleing brakeing acceleration reliability saftey and value. you cant compare the two it like compareing apples with eggs

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing in the next few weeks. And I'm looking at a 03 M5 and a 06 M45. I've driven the M5 and it was just awesome, I've yet to drive the M45.
What I'm curious about is the technology between the two.
The 06 M45 is loaded with gadgets that was not yet available in the 03 M5.
I doubt I will track the car, so from a pure driving pleasure, is there anyone who has owned both vehicles or compared them already that can give me some input.
Also a consideration is the maintenance. I would guess the M5 would command higher costs in this department?

All input welcomed.
Theres a reason its called the Ultimate Driving Machine.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What kind of answer are you looking? You are on the M5 board, of couse everyone here will tell you M5. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the opinions would be more towards the M5. lovelove

I've been in awe of the M5 for a long time, and I'm now in a position where I can finally purchase one. I'm just looking for any feedback.

I find myself liking both of these cars for different reasons, I was hoping there may be some people who have driven both that could give some input.

If it's all biased opinions for M5 love, that's ok. :thumbsup: Would love to hear that you are still enamored with the car even though it's 5+ years old.

If you are bit sad that the gadgets aren't as fresh as what's out there now, I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

Eggs to Apples indeed, but maybe you wish you had bought the eggs instead?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
not for all the money in world do i regreat buying my apple

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I love BMW...however, the M45 is a very nice car. Its fast, quiet, and has lots of nice gadgets. My Dad just picked up a new M45x and he loves it. Its a pleasure to drive. Is it as much fun as a M? No...but it does have some very nice qualities.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
True...none taken at all. He is 61...a little bit older than your average M driver!! But the car is nice, I like driving it...doesnt compare to my beast for driving experience but the car has lots of nice features. DVD player, vented seats, back up camera, Ipod, music box, 4 wheel drive (variable), handles nice, and has some power too.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I had the previous generation M45 prior to the M5. I believe that car had the same motor as the new one, 340 hp. It was fairly fast; being auto, you just ******* on the gas and it could easily light up the rear tires. It was comfortable and reliable but handling was more luxo sedan than sport. I am much happier in the M. I have not driven the new M45. I would recommend driving it and see what you think but obviously M5>M45.:M5launch:

Reactions: m6ontheway

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True...none taken at all. He is 61...a little bit older than your average M driver!! But the car is nice, I like driving it...doesnt compare to my beast for driving experience but the car has lots of nice features. DVD player, vented seats, back up camera, Ipod, music box, 4 wheel drive (variable), handles nice, and has some power too.

These gadgets are what make the m45 tempting to me, from a m5 outsider point of view. As I said before I drool over every m5, so I totally understand and feel the love.

How is the Navi in the 03 m5's. Does it seem archaic to todays standards?
I searched and saw a "work around" to enable Bluetooth, i think?
Ipods can be utilized with aftermarket pieces, I think?
These are the gadgets that I would use on a daily basis,

"DVD player, vented seats, backup camera" are nice though.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
At the end of the day, gadgets are only gadgets. If you want to truly have fun driving, go with the M5. If you want reliability and some newer technology, I would say M45. I know what you mean, this is my first M car ever and I still drool over M's when I see them. Not many other cars that I drool over...At least not under $250k!!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
We considered the M45 before we purchased the M5. The 45 was really nice but almost as much a gas hog as the M! The 45 drove well but the power of the M is intoxicating. The car was going to be for my wife so I thought the 45 was going to be the car. Well, she drove the M5 and the decision was made. She liked the power and how engaging the car was to drive. She said she could buy a more luxurious car in a few years but the M5 is definitly more fun to drive. You have to also take into account the uniqueness of the M5, initial cost difference, depreciation and upkeep cost of both cars. Cost difference is pretty large. Depreciation, the M5 has taken the big hits already, the M45 will loose plenty in 5 years. Maintainance, the M45 has the big advantage (as usual).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Infiniti or BMW

Case,

You should expect 90% of the replies to be biased towards the M5. I just sold mine and the M5 virus is almost out of my system. (probably never completely, however)
Most are correct when they say its like comparing "apples to eggs". However, you need to decide just what you want the car for. (pardon my grammer). Do you want a "car" or a "hobby". With the M5 you will get the first and most likely the hobby part as well. The Inifiniti will not force you to research a host of strange unexplainable occurances during your daily commute. The M5 will. Check a few of the post replies to new owner threads. Most tell the newbie to imediatley buy a Peake Code Reader. "The best money you will ever spend." They are right. I bought one and used it often. The M5 will throw error codes as often as it will smoke the tires. The Infiniti will probably throw three codes total in its lifetime. There is a quality difference between the two companies. Check the last Consumers Reports Auto issue if you don't believe me.
So, (only my opinion) if you want a nice car and a high maintenance thrill ride, buy an M5. If you want a nice car and low maintenance, get the Infiniti. Good luck, which ever way you go.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
I have many seat hours in the current M45 and e39 M5. I came from the Lexus GS4.

Critical determinants:
1. Do you prefer stick or auto-manual?
2. How much do you value back-up camera, cooled seats, laser cruise, bluetooth on-board, dvd player?
3. Are you more concerned with the enjoyment of the driver, or the comfort of the passengers?

e39 NAV is rudimentary/cumbersome compared to modern day. If best NAV is important to you, get an Acura.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Case,

You should expect 90% of the replies to be biased towards the M5. I just sold mine and the M5 virus is almost out of my system. (probably never completely, however)
Most are correct when they say its like comparing "apples to eggs". However, you need to decide just what you want the car for. (pardon my grammer). Do you want a "car" or a "hobby". With the M5 you will get the first and most likely the hobby part as well. The Inifiniti will not force you to research a host of strange unexplainable occurances during your daily commute. The M5 will. Check a few of the post replies to new owner threads. Most tell the newbie to imediatley buy a Peake Code Reader. "The best money you will ever spend." They are right. I bought one and used it often. The M5 will throw error codes as often as it will smoke the tires. The Infiniti will probably throw three codes total in its lifetime. There is a quality difference between the two companies. Check the last Consumers Reports Auto issue if you don't believe me.
So, (only my opinion) if you want a nice car and a high maintenance thrill ride, buy an M5. If you want a nice car and low maintenance, get the Infiniti. Good luck, which ever way you go.
What type of car pulled you away from your M5?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have many seat hours in the current M45 and e39 M5. I came from the Lexus GS4.

Critical determinants:
1. Do you prefer stick or auto-manual?
2. How much do you value back-up camera, cooled seats, laser cruise, bluetooth on-board, dvd player?
3. Are you more concerned with the enjoyment of the driver, or the comfort of the passengers?

e39 NAV is rudimentary/cumbersome compared to modern day. If best NAV is important to you, get an Acura.
1.) I prefer a true manual, but I've driven a few auto-manuals that were a nice compromise
2.) All seem like fun options, with no real seat time I can't say how much I value them. It's obvious I need to drive an M45. Just haven't found one close enough yet.
3.) I have a 2 little ones (2yrs old and 1 yr old = 15mo dif) that I want to be comfy in dad's car. My wife has an 06 Ody that gets the daily run around with the kids, but I would prefer to be able to take my car out as well. I currently have an 06 S60R that I'm selling because the backseat is just too small.

That brings up another point, this will be a daily driver for me (Winter - Summer). With the correct tire setup I should be fine for Winter driving right?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Get the M5. You can always add the gadgets you need later. Bluetooth, Ipod, DVD player, and backup camera are all simple add-ons.
Think of it this way, the E39 M5 is a car that comes around very often. It's already 5-9 years old, so if you don't get one soon you will probably never get one and miss out on the best four door sedan ever built. I think it will be a while before BMW comes up with something as complete.

Reactions: shopard

·
Registered
12 Posts
What type of car pulled you away from your M5?
Actually, nothing "pulled" me away from the M5. I knew I wanted to move on before something major failed. I wasn't really interested in paying a large repair bill on an eight year old car to fix something that shouldn't fail (mine had less than 60K miles). Mine ran well, its just that big problems are common to these cars - I didn't want to push my luck. I have other cars for different moods: a 500+ HP big block Dodge Challenger (starting cosmetic restoration soon), a restored E-type Jag, a modified Miata (handles curves like a go-kart), and a 08Mazda CX9 for moving the kids and dog around - it'll even tow a small trailer. I just bought an 08 Infinti G35x for my commuter car. I needed reliability and I wanted AWD for the winter. It's fast and it has more features than I know how to use. The M5 was, hands down, the worst car I ever drove in the snow. I didn't have winter tires (just All season) but even a 1/2 inch of snow on the road made for a dangerous drive.
Pelase don't get the idea that I'm bashing the M5. I really enjoyed driving it, its just not without its flaws. I had a itch and the M5 scratched it for a few years. Be realistic and you will get more enjoyment about what ever you drive.

·
Registered
804 Posts
wow, billb you've been a member for three years and you have less than 30 posts. Maybe thats why you couldn't get around those "flaws":)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts