BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a few diehard members on here with E60 M5/E63 - 64 M6's that opted for manual 6-speed tranny's. Except 1st gear, 2nd thru 6th are somewhat longer ratios than the same gears in 7-speed SMG. My question to you 6-speeders is: have you installed a 3.91 diff from either Evosport or Dinan?? If so, have you found acceleration "feel" to be better in each gear??

'Don't care about Evosport vs Dinan; nor 6-speed vs SMG debate. 'Simply gathering info/feedback as homework for a contemplated project. 'Can't define details yet, as much info still being gathered; and many questions still unanswered. 'Will certainly post project spec's if/when 'get to that point (months down the road).

Thanks to any owners who care to share their experience with 3.91 diff in their 6-speed cars.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't done the diff change in my 08 M6 yet but have done this upgrade to my 91 850i 6 speed.
I think the orig in the 850 was a 2:31? not sure but it was down there and I changed the diff to a 3:15 . I gotta tell ya, the difference in the drive and gears is awesome. The most bang out of any bucks I have ever spent on my cars was spent on gears.

I'm not sure if I will change out the M6's diff. I only have around 900 miles on her now and have put her away for the winter. If I get bored I may but after all we would be betting on someone getting bored with an m6.:noSMG:

Let us know what you do and the outcome bro.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Since you have a 6speed, I would go shorter. I was very close to putting a 4.10 diff in my car, but with all my extra power right now I would never get it to the ground (I already spin 1st and second) so I stuck with the longer gears. The only reason others do only 3.91 is because thats all you can do on SMG, 4.10s would be better on a 6speed IMO! www.diffsonline.com can build you a good one!
Evan

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
So, for the 6 speeders, is the 3.91 a must have? I know the SMG guys have said yes, but is it the same for the manual? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts