BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miles

I went through my data sheets and here is all I know about the Tuning which has been done on my M5.

1st. Chip Tuning by Digit Power (Switzerland, a well known Tuner in Switzerland and Germany)
- Increase the max. RPM from 6350 to 7000
- no speed Limitation
- each of the 8 Cylinders gets his own Kennfeldzuendung (sorry, I don't know the English word) instead of a Multiple
Kennfeldzuendung (single Point instead of multi Point...)

2nd. New Exhaust (from the first to the last piece) by TeZet/Breyton Switzerland
The Original Exhaust from BMW is really a shame.
- Original is something like 1.34 inches - new is 1st piece (Faecherkruemmer) 2.52 inches
- High speed Catalyst (with 2.95 tubes/pipe)
- Middle noise reduction --> smaller, but with 2.95 inches pipes
- Instead of four (Schalldaempfer) this things for the noise(?) just two of them with original design from outside (police)

Before I made all this changes my BMW showed on the measure test 284 kW after this it went up to 344 kW.

540i
(check the web page of Breyton in english http://www.breyton.de , there is an article of a 328i with 388kW)
They are building this 540i for the very first time for me, so the promised power is a theoretical estimation.
They have take the results of the 328i and went linear to the 4.8liter engine of the 540i (Original 4.4 after the tuning 4.8)
Sometimes in June 2001 they will deliver the car to me and present my new toy in the German
Auto Motor Sport and in the TV (DSF).
As soon as I have the Car and effective figures will be available I'll place them on the Web.

Does someone know if there is somewhere a Car-dictionary where I can find the english word for tools and pieces...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your support (translator)

I've been told, that BMW is using on the M5 a single characteristic diagram ignition per ignition cycle (same for all 8 Cylinders). The new concept does calculate for every Cylinder a own characteristic diagram ignition... What ever this means in hp.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Nico,

How much did you pay for your modifications?

How does the car sound and how fast is it now?

/Johan

·
Registered
372 Posts
- the front noise reduction chambers on the exhaust are also known as 'resonators'.

- Interesting news on the catalytic converters. Can you tell me if M5 cats have any electronic feedback devices or electrical wiring connected to them? (looking at what it would take to remove them).

- Interesting info on the exhaust diameter increase. Really enough room and clearance for these big pipes or is it a tight fit?

- BMW's have long used individual ignition modules per each plug. But I had no idea that it might be possible to individually modulate them. Of course the computer could advance / retard timing, but on a per-plug basis? Does this new system also change voltage? I'm guessing this needs a new computer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answer to Grinch request

- the front noise reduction chambers on the exhaust are also known as 'resonators'.

Thanks for this information

- Interesting news on the catalytic converters. Can you tell me if M5 cats have any electronic feedback devices or electrical wiring connected to them? (looking at what it would take to remove them).

Unfortunately there is no way to remove the catalyst because BMW is measuring before and after the cat. if there is a to big difference from the original figures you get this ****ty error and your car will run on "emergency program" (you'll loose 15% performance)

- Interesting info on the exhaust diameter increase. Really enough room and clearance for these big pipes or is it a tight fit?

Yes, it fits... but as I sad, it's not that easy, on the right side of the engine it's easy to do but on the left side your tuner will have to install a isolation because the whole hydraulic from the power steering is around there.

- BMW's have long used individual ignition modules per each plug. But I had no idea that it might be possible to individually modulate them. Of course the computer could advance / retard timing, but on a per-plug basis? Does this new system also change voltage? I'm guessing this needs a new computer?

There is just an additional Blackbox (I've no idea what's in there) but I know, that it comes from the same people in the Staates how are preparing the Dodge Viper for the 24 hours race over the lake...

answer to Johans request

How much did you pay for your modifications?

Chip tuning and electronical modifications: CHF 5200.-- (Us$ 2890.--)

Exhaust CHF 9000.-- (Us$ 5000.--) incl. Prototyp and Production Exhaust.

How does the car sound and how fast is it now?

Sound: When the engine is running at 700 rpm there is just a little difference --> reason, Police
after 1000 rpm it sounds better then every Corvette I ever have heard.

Speed: The only real measurement I could do up to now is from 80 Km/h to 120 Km/h, in the 3. gear is 3.4 sec. in the 4. gear is 3.8 sec

High speed: I had to break at over 300 Km/h (tachometer, 1-1.5 cm over 300) in Germany but the car was still pushing.

Nico

1 - 6 of 6 Posts