BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced each of the following items one item at a time so I could isolate what actually fixed the problem; spark plugs, MAFS, O2 sensors, air filters, and a stuck open thermostat. None of these fixed my problem until I cleaned out my oil seperator canisters. I just used throttle body cleaner and sprayed it in the separator until clear fluid came out. My hesitation is gone completely and I feel like I gained 20hp in the process. When taking off from a dead stop, the car doesn't sputter or act nervous. It is just a very solid smooth running car. I am anxious to see how this affects my fuel mileage and oil consumption.:applause:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Congratulations- I know you spent a lot of effort troubleshooting. Glad you got it fixed.:applause:

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
I replaced each of the following items one item at a time so I could isolate what actually fixed the problem; spark plugs, MAFS, O2 sensors, air filters, and a stuck open thermostat. None of these fixed my problem until I cleaned out my oil seperator canisters. I just used throttle body cleaner and sprayed it in the separator until clear fluid came out. My hesitation is gone completely and I feel like I gained 20hp in the process. When taking off from a dead stop, the car doesn't sputter or act nervous. It is just a very solid smooth running car. I am anxious to see how this affects my fuel mileage and oil consumption.:applause:
How do you remove the oil separators? any tricks?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
man i'm happy for you that you got it fixed after all. :hihi::hihi:

mine still runs smooth also. something stupid like this, with such big inprovements. :M5thumbs:

for the diy ers... here you go.its pretty easy to do even iff you have two left hands...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=11_2653&hg=11&fg=15

canisters are bolted with 1 bolt. remove the bolt, remove all the hoses from each separator ,pull out the separator out off the plenium (they are in there with a rubber wascher nr3 on [email protected] picture please because my englisch isn't that good to explain exact) then when the separator is out you can open it up at the top but they can be britlle so be carefull,or buy some new ones iff you dont want to bother(fairly cheap fix). install everything back and your good to go.tip .check and squeese the hoses iff they arent soft and sticky from oil,otherwise, replace them also.(cheap fix also)

a half job is a expensive job

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
"act nervous"

???

Funny the terms we use to describe symptoms.

Glad to see you're getting to know the M... and all the items you've replaced? At least you won't need to do them again for a few years!

A

·
Registered
143 Posts
man i'm happy for you that you got it fixed after all. :hihi::hihi:

mine still runs smooth also. something stupid like this, with such big inprovements. :M5thumbs:

for the diy ers... here you go.its pretty easy to do even iff you have two left hands...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=11_2653&hg=11&fg=15

canisters are bolted with 1 bolt. remove the bolt, remove all the hoses from each separator ,pull out the separator out off the plenium (they are in there with a rubber wascher nr3 on [email protected] picture please because my englisch isn't that good to explain exact) then when the separator is out you can open it up at the top but they can be britlle so be carefull,or buy some new ones iff you dont want to bother(fairly cheap fix). install everything back and your good to go.tip .check and squeese the hoses iff they arent soft and sticky from oil,otherwise, replace them also.(cheap fix also)

a half job is a expensive job
When you remove the Oil Separator, do you spray the cleaner into the canister itself?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
i bought some new ones because my hoses where soft and had to be replaced anyway. i didn't want the hassle to clean everything out.mine where replaced in a friends shop, so iff he had to clean them out for me, it would cost me as mutch as new ones in the first place.they are (fairly) cheap .

but to answer your question,

yes . you can remove the top of the canister,and then clean it all out.
just be carefull because the can be brittle,so they can break due to the heat that went in the plastic canisters over the years.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thanks for this post JCDavis... I just went and did this (quite the PITA to get back in I must say) but have yet driven the car as I'm doing something else to it too. When I first sprayed into my seperator, it was so clogged that it shot back out at me... I went through 3 bottles of cleaner to fully get both of them clean. I'll report back with the butt dyno..

·
Registered
143 Posts
i bought some new ones because my hoses where soft and had to be replaced anyway. i didn't want the hassle to clean everything out.mine where replaced in a friends shop, so iff he had to clean them out for me, it would cost me as mutch as new ones in the first place.they are (fairly) cheap .

but to answer your question,

yes . you can remove the top of the canister,and then clean it all out.
just be carefull because the can be brittle,so they can break due to the heat that went in the plastic canisters over the years.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Great news! Can anyone post part numbers and price for the seperators? Are the identical or left and right unique?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sometime I feel like I learn more on this forum then I did in college. Does the plenum cover have to come off for this job?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Sometime I feel like I learn more on this forum then I did in college. Does the plenum cover have to come off for this job?
Nope...

Remove the intake section (maf, boot, etc)
take off the MAF connection
take off the hose from the seperator to the crankcase
loosen the clamp on the hose that is attatched to the bottom of the seperator
start to gently pry the seperator out of the case
when it comes up and out, gently pull off bottom hose

going back in I found it's easier to get the bottom hose attached first and then slam it back into the crankcase

If the rubber piece that is on the seperator starts to bunch up and is a PITA to get back in, take it off from the seperator, put it into the socket and then put the seperator in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
i'm thinking of doing this myself, though my hesitation seemed to have been solved when i replaced the breather hose that was attached to the separators. i wonder if it'd help to put a little bead of soapy water or motor oil on the rubber part to aid in putting it back in? maybe not motor oil since it could breakdown the rubber part?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
newb. LOL scroll up to the top were their is a link to the bmw parts page its the part with the 45 dollar each price

1 - 20 of 59 Posts