BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another two weeks and 1200 miles the long way round…Spent some time on the Monterey Peninsula, visited our dogs ashes that are spread throughout Spanish Bay and Asilomar, booked it up to Aptos and Livermore to see family and pick up our daughter, shot across to stay in Mammoth Lakes and play in Yosemite for a few days, and booked it back to HB.

Now, I’m just shy of 177,000 miles. Scared 🐥🐣🐥🐣💩💩💩💩 owners make horrible owners. No bikes and no racks this time. Slick top City. I forget how quiet the e60 is, after driving my track car and my very agricultural LandCruiser much of the summer.

Drank lots of $5.00 fuel, used all my rpms through the twisties on HWY 1 and HWY 120. Ripped through 107 degree temps down the Owens Valley, and burned no oil.

Get your maintenance together and get out and drive!!

The route:
Image.png

Our dogs’ beach

Water Cloud Sky Fluid Liquid

#LOLMPG

Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle Wheel

The view off Tioga in Yosemite, with Half Dome in the distance.
Sky Mountain Natural landscape Slope Larch

Kills bugs fast!
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire White

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Love it. Way to go.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Keep them coming!!! Love seeing your epic road trips without incident. These cars were MADE TO BE DRIVEN, get out there and drive!!!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Love it. Way to go.
Thanks for the kind words!
Keep them coming!!! Love seeing your epic road trips without incident. These cars were MADE TO BE DRIVEN, get out there and drive!!!
No doubt about it!
That's an awesome road trip. I hope the family loves it as much as you do!!
This pretty much sums up my wife:

And this sums up my daughter (never mind me banging the limiter):

Too many threads of "problems" and not enough threads of people enjoying their cars.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lovely post and thanks for sharing man

Yeah I totally agree....most of the forum is always littered with threads about issues and not fun stuff

P.S. super cute vid with your little girl. Mine loves sitting in the M5 with me and she says 'weee' in fits of laughter at times.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
538 Posts

·
Registered
2006 M5
437 Posts
DANG IT! I NEED TO GET MY FAT @SS IN THE CAR AND DO THAT ROADTRIP DOWN TO CALIFORNIA TO VISIT YOU @Fiftytwoeighty . I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M YELLING. DAMN CAPS LOCK KEY IS [email protected]#[email protected]$!#@!#
Oh hell yeah!!! @specialized2010 and me can link up and make it a foursome! We just have to figure out how to escape without our wives filing missing persons reports on us both. By the time we get there you'll already be tearing it up in that F90 CS you lucky SOB!!! 🤣 I do wish you guys were closer though, would love to meet up with you hooligans.

·
Registered
433 Posts
and burned no oil.
no oil consumed for 1200 miles. I have to remember this thread while i finalize my Oil consumption thesis thread. Is this possibly because you were driving it continuously, while hot all the time ? Most say 1500 miles per quart is a well behaved engine with over 100K miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
538 Posts
no oil consumed for 1200 miles. I have to remember this thread while i finalize my Oil consumption thesis thread. Is this possibly because you were driving it continuously, while hot all the time ? Most say 1500 miles per quart is a well behaved engine with over 100K miles on it.
Wow! No oil burned! That is impressive! Mine behaves as @sunilshivaram mentions. I'm about 1/2-3/4 quart per 1500 miles.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! No oil burned! That is impressive! Mine behaves as @sunilshivaram mentions. I'm about 1/2-3/4 quart per 1500 miles.
I might add 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
433 Posts
I might add 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember.
I bought my car at 98K miles. It used to eat 1 Quart oil for every 1500 miles, and then one fine month, it dropped drastically to about 500 miles per quart.
I changed the two PCV valves at the top and it went back to 1500 miles. The valves were oily, and the hoses had oil dripping from them.
I wonder if the other two in the bottom (on top of the transmission) contribute to oil consumption, and replacing them would improve my engine's performance.
I couldn't get to the bottom two lol, just no way ! I can't even see them, let alone feel them with my tiny hands.

Any idea how your engine is not consuming so much oil ? Can you pls share if you changed the PCV valves, or any thing else that can contribute to such clean engine performance.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
After I tracked mine 3 times and 1900 miles this year, mine didnt seem to burn oil. Then I changed the oil and I went back to driving only weekends and occasional drive to work then it went back to 1 quart every 1000 - 1200 miles.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@sunilshivaram not sure why I burn so little oil over 3000/4000 miles. Much of my miles on the e60 are freeway and less of City commuting these days. For years, I used my e60 to commute to NorCal from Huntington Beach.

Regarding PCV valves, I’m pretty sure all of mine have been replaced during “while you’re in there” maintenance, over the last 10 years. The only thing that needs attention on my e60 is my flex disc, which is showing signs of stress. I’ll address that, when I swap out my exhaust.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Another two weeks and 1200 miles the long way round…Spent some time on the Monterey Peninsula, visited our dogs ashes that are spread throughout Spanish Bay and Asilomar, booked it up to Aptos and Livermore to see family and pick up our daughter, shot across to stay in Mammoth Lakes and play in Yosemite for a few days, and booked it back to HB.

Now, I’m just shy of 177,000 miles. Scared 🐥🐣🐥🐣💩💩💩💩 owners make horrible owners. No bikes and no racks this time. Slick top City. I forget how quiet the e60 is, after driving my track car and my very agricultural LandCruiser much of the summer.

Drank lots of $5.00 fuel, used all my rpms through the twisties on HWY 1 and HWY 120. Ripped through 107 degree temps down the Owens Valley, and burned no oil.

Get your maintenance together and get out and drive!!

The route:
View attachment 954128

Our dogs’ beach

View attachment 954130

#LOLMPG

View attachment 954131

The view off Tioga in Yosemite, with Half Dome in the distance.
View attachment 954132

Kills bugs fast!
View attachment 954133
Not as adventurous as your trip woody but I've probably put 2400 miles the past 6 weeks doing 2 bay area runs and Paso Robles this past weekend. 💯on getting maintenance done!! (y). Gotta sync up soon at 602.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
671 Posts
Love this thread OP and congrats on your lovely trip. I live in the UK and a few years back I visited family in San Jose and SF. We hired a car and drove from SF down to LA / SD. The HWY1 you showed on your map is identical to the route we took and we stopped off at Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo where I visited the guys at Accuair, Monterrey where we visited to Aquarium and so much more. By far one of my fav trips. You guys some amazing roads to open up the beast on. Enjoy in good health.

Oh by the way, are you running catless or have some cats in place?

I'm fully catless, supercharged and I run IPE. It stinks. I need to find a solution without losing much power or sound lol.

At first I had my primary cats gutted and kept secondary cats I still had the smell on my hands and clothes which is weird considering most people say keeping secondary cats cleans up the smell.

What is the best solution? I was thinking about getting RMS headers and switch out cats with test pipes whenever I want but the issue there is anytime I I put cats back on I'm losing some sound and some power so I'm wondering if putting some HFC might help? Not sure if it would considering keeping stock secondary cats didn't help when I was bone stock.

Any thoughts man?

·
Registered
2006 M5
437 Posts
Yea the smell that come with going without cats was a little much. I went with the APE E85 kit and that cut down on the fumes a ton. I don't come home smelling like a garage now. Plus e85 is $2.30 a gal

1 - 20 of 39 Posts