BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had this email from Watling Engineers.

The bit I'm worried about is cutting the bumper and getting a cover to go in it's place.

Sorry if this has been covered before..............

Dear Mr. Plummer

Thank you for your enquiry for a towing bracket for your BMW M5 E34.

The prices are as follows:-

Towing bracket ref.
Brink 18104 £320.25
ISO 50mm Ball and Cover

inc.

Wiring Kit for Road Lights
12N £25.00

Wiring Kit for Caravan Interior Power
12S £17.50

Carriage UK mainland
£6.95

Sub Total

VAT @ 17.5%

TOTAL

Unfortunately the towing bracket is not in stock but if you place your order we should dispatch in 7-10 days.

I have never seen a towbar for this vehicle which does not involve a cut to the bumper.

The above towbar is a swan-neck detachable but requires a rectangular cut in the bumper there is a cover provided but it only fits the standard bumper not the shape of the M5 bumper.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Doubt it would be suitable anyway. A towbar that costs £750 must obviously be made from solid gold, which is far to soft a metal to use for lugging a caravan about.

:hihi:

Ivan.

Surely you could get a normal one made of "steel" or "iron" from another E34 in a scrapyard?

I think my neighbours 535i has a towbar. If I can, I`ll see if I can get a photo of how it goes thru the bumper.

Ivan.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This should help, the cover is item #7. If you do a search back to May time (I think) you will find a thread with photos of AndyE's cover and towbar

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi

i have a bmw towbar fitted to my m5 it has a cover to hide the towbar but i am looking for the part that hooks underneath to connect to a trailer it looks like the trailer ball hooks into it but i am not sure how it works
tony

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks Kevin,

Looks pretty straightforward - apart from I'll be sh1tting meself when I take a jigsaw to me back bumper......... :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have now sold my M5 - got a good offer of cold hard cash so off it went.

Anyway, the towbar I bought last week has now arrived - it's in very, very good condition and has everything you need to fit it to the car, the looms to attach to the original wiring, the bracket to stow the towball in the boot, all nuts and bolts - everything. You will need to get the cover from the rear bumper from the dealer though.

It's the Westfalia one by the way.

If anyone wants it, mail me on meATstenelson.co.uk , I can try to courier it or you're welcome to collect from me in West Sussex.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ste said:
I have now sold my M5 - got a good offer of cold hard cash so off it went.
Wow that was a short ownership, or so it seems. How long did you have the car for? :flag:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts