BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems when no one was looking Castrol began to import this M5 qualifying synthetic oil from Germany:<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
CASTROL SYNTEC 0W-30 <O:p</O:p

API SL/CF. ACEA: A3, B3, B4. VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01. BMW Longlife-01. MB 229.1, 229.3. Porsche approved.

[url="http://home.comcast.net/~dsmphotos/gc/gc.html"]http://home.comcast.net/~dsmphotos/gc/gc.html[/url][img][/color]


[color=black]Regards,[/color]

[color=black]Greg


[color=black]<O:p></O:p>[/color]

[/color][color=black]<O:p></O:p>[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I can only imagine how quickly that would leak past my piston rings...

I think I'll stick with the 10W60 until I have to start using 75W90 ouich

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
jhowton said:
I can only imagine how quickly that would leak past my piston rings...

I think I'll stick with the 10W60 until I have to start using 75W90 ouich

Regards
Probably not a good choice if you have a 2000 with the early rings. If you own a later M5 and have been running BMW's version of Castrol 5W-30 this oil looks equivalent and is perhaps a better choice for cold weather climate. It is apparently PAO based, a true synthetic and it exceeds all the necessary Euro tech specs.

I've heard it sells in Europe for 20 plus Euros per litre versus $7.20 CDN/litre here in Canada. The bottle states on the back "Made in Germany" and "not for sale outside of North America".

Regards,

Greg

:M5eyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
This is the "German Castrol" greatly beloved over on the bobistheoilguy forums.

It's apparently comparable in viscosity etc. to the Mobil1 0W-40, it's a real Group IV/V PAO synthetic (all the other Castrol oils sold in the US except specialty items like our TWS 10W-60 are Group III), holds up well over time, etc.

I've got some of it, I don't use it in the M5 but I use it and the Mobil1 0W-40 pretty much interchangeably in everything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,393 Posts
it is not M5 qualified...

It meets the specs that the BMW 5W30 meets, including the BMW Long Life 01 spec, but it isn't the oil BMW recommends.

Semantics, I'll admit. It is refered to as "GC" at bitog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ard said:
it is not M5 qualified...QUOTE]

BMW in the 2003 M5 (USA) Owner's Manual states:

"Approved oils are in SAE classes 5W-40 and 5W-30."

This statement if taken literally would preclude using 10W-60 instead of 5W-30 or 5W-40 in the US and Canada. German Castrol 0W-30 brackets SAE 5W-30 and meets all other required BMW Technical Specs as to API, ACEA ratings etc. I suspect that BMW NA would have a pretty tough time claiming that a 0W-30 oil, with the same ratings and specs as the 5W-30 oil they include in their approved category and made by the SAME supplier (Castrol), does not meet or exceed their requirements.

Regards,

Greg

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,393 Posts
Last 03 5 said:
ard said:
it is not M5 qualified...QUOTE]

BMW in the 2003 M5 (USA) Owner's Manual states:

"Approved oils are in SAE classes 5W-40 and 5W-30."

This statement if taken literally would preclude using 10W-60 instead of 5W-30 or 5W-40 in the US and Canada. German Castrol 0W-30 brackets SAE 5W-30 and meets all other required BMW Technical Specs as to API, ACEA ratings etc. I suspect that BMW NA would have a pretty tough time claiming that a 0W-30 oil, with the same ratings and specs as the 5W-30 oil they include in their approved category and made by the SAME supplier (Castrol), does not meet or exceed their requirements.

Regards,

Greg


Re-read the entire section on oil. Under the heading "specified engine oils" it says

"Use only approved 'BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil'"

Under the heading "Viscosity ratings" one finds the note you quoted.

One can justify a wide range of oil selections, based on oil specs, tests, and even UOAs- but we should be clear as to which two oils BMW approves for the M5.

A

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ard said:
Re-read the entire section on oil. Under the heading "specified engine oils" it says
ard said:
"Use only approved 'BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil'"

Under the heading "Viscosity ratings" one finds the note you quoted.

One can justify a wide range of oil selections, based on oil specs, tests, and even UOAs- but we should be clear as to which two oils BMW approves for the M5.

A

A


Hi Ard,

I agree you must read the entire section. The term "use only approved BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil" cannot be reconciled with a recommendation to use either 5W-30 or 5W-40, as BMW do not offer for sale a 5W-40 synthetic oil. Additionally, under US Federal Warranty Law BMW cannot restrict you to using a brand of motor oil that only they offer for sale; unless they are prepared to supply you with your entire requirement for same for free during the warranty period.

There is another statement in this same section suggesting that the purchaser "Ask your BMW center for details concerning the specific "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil" or "special oils" which have been approved."

I am not using the German Castrol 0W-30, but rather Mobil1 0W-40 in my M5, after confirming with my local dealership's Service Manager that BMW has "approved" it for use in the 2003 M5. Mobil1 0W-40 (like BMW 5w-30 and Castrol 0W-30) meets BMW Longlife-01, and Europeon ACEA A3, B3, B4 specs. All three oils contain wording on their packaging to the effect that they "meet engine protection requirements" of BMW, Mercedes and Porsche.

Based upon this, I believe German Castrol 0W-30 to be a viable option for use in the M5. For summertime here I find BMW 5W-30 a tad light. BMW 10W-60 too thick. This is why I have switched to Mobil1 0W-40 (with BMW approval) this spring.

Regards,

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,393 Posts
Last 03 5 said:
Hi Ard,

I agree you must read the entire section. The term "use only approved BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil" cannot be reconciled with a recommendation to use either 5W-30 or 5W-40, as BMW do not offer for sale a 5W-40 synthetic oil. Additionally, under US Federal Warranty Law BMW cannot restrict you to using a brand of motor oil that only they offer for sale; unless they are prepared to supply you with your entire requirement for same for free during the warranty period.

There is another statement in this same section suggesting that the purchaser "Ask your BMW center for details concerning the specific "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil" or "special oils" which have been approved."

I am not using the German Castrol 0W-30, but rather Mobil1 0W-40 in my M5, after confirming with my local dealership's Service Manager that BMW has "approved" it for use in the 2003 M5. Mobil1 0W-40 (like BMW 5w-30 and Castrol 0W-30) meets BMW Longlife-01, and Europeon ACEA A3, B3, B4 specs. All three oils contain wording on their packaging to the effect that they "meet engine protection requirements" of BMW, Mercedes and Porsche.

Based upon this, I believe German Castrol 0W-30 to be a viable option for use in the M5. For summertime here I find BMW 5W-30 a tad light. BMW 10W-60 too thick. This is why I have switched to Mobil1 0W-40 (with BMW approval) this spring.

Regards,

Greg


BMW *DOES* provide oil free in the US! MFG recommended oil changes are included with my 2003. Woefully inadequate, IMHO, but interesting that it meets the Moss Magnussen act requriements.

I don't disagree with a 0-40 or even a 5-40 for summer (or even year round here in CA)... Non-track use and change it every 5k and arguments over one brand or another are academic. (Don't tell this to the gys over at BITOG... :) ) And of course, if the BMW dealer put the oil in the car, that is a defactor 'approval' as far as warranty goes.

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Gents

Just a bit of a quirk to add to this.

BMW NA had a marketing problem - BMW in the rest of the world picked "Long-Life" as the name for BMW qualified oil. In NA, that name belongs to Pennzoil, so they couldn't use it.

BMW NA picked "High Performance Synthetic Oil" to be the NA equivalent to Long-Life. THAT trademark is owned by Valvoline, but maybe it's not registered, so BMW is using it.

My point is that oils rated as BMW "LL-98/01/04" oils are "HPSO" in North America. In other words, if it's LL-anything, it's HPSO.

Weird, eh?

Cheers
JJ
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top