BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sorry for the inconvenience lol

I was driving to dinner tonight and one of my passengers mentioned that "he thought" I was down shifting to early and causing massive wear and tear to my drivetrain. Downshift from 4th gear - 3rd gear at around 3000-4000 rpm, I always thought I was doing a fine job and the car is running awesome. Should I be worried, change my driving habbit. Always is S5 or S6 depending on the route I take.

I think he was amazed at how loud the engine was and "unknown it is a high-rev motor" / "dynamics of the smg gearbox" but I dropped the subject, otherwise we would have argued the whole night.

but it made me wonder / doubt myself ???

·
Registered
114 Posts
well , on every gear drop, the throttle blips, hence u will see the car rev itself.

its fine. no worries.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well , on every gear drop, the throttle blips, hence u will see the car rev itself.

its fine. no worries.
exactly, my passenger is making me doubt my knowledge, just concerned lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
I downshift on purpose (on whatever revs) just to hear that sound:D...and unless the commenter had an M5/6 I don't see how they would know what the correct range/rev/driving style was?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"commenter" doesn't have a BMW, his passion is Mercedes!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Many uneducated drivers hold the belief that downshifting too much/too early will put excessive wear on the car. However, they do not realize that when a downshift is rev-matched (whether on a SMG or three pedal car) there is little to no wear on the clutch/drivetrain. Keep doing what you are doing....I'm afraid your friend is wrong! :D

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
90 Posts
When your redline is at 6000rpm (most mercedes) then down shifting to 4k is kinda high for normal driving. he probably doesn't know our cars rev to 8k. your friend is right in some respect that more rev = more friction = more wear. but it's unavoidable in our car. otherwise, we'd all be driving AMG's

·
Registered
114 Posts
nice 1 . haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts