BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well fellow M5 enthusiasts, my 2006 Interlagos M5 (11/05 build) with 57,000 miles just experienced the yellow and red tranny failure. The car would go into gear but not move revving it up to 2000 rpms. Therefore, I had it towed to the nearest dealership.

This is a bummer as I was still in the market shopping around for an extended warranty. Thankfully this happened while being parked and not while in traffic.

I was feeling the car being weird lately with some of the 1st/2nd gear shifts with a slight bucking feeling.

Last year on 3/27/2009 with 37,000 miles the car experienced problems with the SMG. The symptom was that it was not going into 1st gear. The test plan revealed multiple faults for the hydraulic system and clutch position sensor. After the PUMA case was opened, it was advised to replace the clutch position sensor and everything was ok again (this was on the previous owner).

The car does have the 27.1 programming on it and the following recalls were done:

1. SIB # 11-10-05 S85 VANOS Line Replace (up to 11/22/05 production)

2. SIB # 34-05-06 Check SZL Optical Element (from 8/26/05 to 7/28/06)

They checked my VIN and it didn't fall into the SMG pump recall (SIB # 23-01-07 right?) but the bulletin said that the affected vehicles are for engines produced from 1/25/2005-1/23/2006 and the VIN Range being B581047-B582710. My production date falls in there but my vin is off by 200 or so numbers. I wonder if the actual determining factor is for the VIN number only and not take the production date into consideration...Thoughts?

The preliminary test pulled 4 codes: Clutch Position Sensor, SMG computer, SMG Pump, and another one I cannot remember. Tomorrow will be a full test plan to determine root cause. The tech suspects theres loss of pressure on the pump.

Hopefully it's a small fix, if not I'm looking at some expensive repairs. Sucks warranty expired 1/2010 and 7k miles over...

I knew it was a gamble, but damn did not expect to have a failure 4k miles of owning the car :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is a used SMG trans good deal just to have a extra sitting around if needed. ( Almost bought it )

FACTORY BMW SMG TRANS M-5

THIS IS A 6 SPEED SMG TRANS CAME FROM AN M-5 AROUND 2006 IT WAS REPLACED DO TO THE REAR COVER MOUNT WAS BROKEN IN CRASH NEED TO HAVE MOUNT FABRICATED OR SIMPILY REPLACE END COVER THIS TRANS WAS WORKING JUST FINE BEFORE CRASH. THIS ISA REAL STEAL AS THIS TRANSMISSION IS A VERY EXSPENSIVE TRANSMISSION AND I'M SELLING IT DIRT CHEAP HAS PUMP AND RESERVOIR ON SIDE AND SOLENOID PACK ON TOP OF TRANS PLEASE SEE PICTURES<!-- START CLTAGS -->

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
<!-- END CLTAGS --> <table summary="craigslist hosted images"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Either he blew 7th gear or doesn't know what transmission he's selling.

Either way I wouldn't buy it...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious about something. I was reading the SIB and the section "
Fault codes related to low hydraulic pressure will be stored in SMG control unit (e.g. 4F42, 4F43, 4F40), and a
transmission warning will be displayed in the Check Control. Gears may not be selected or changed. If SMG​
transmission is stuck in any gear, the engine can not be restarted."

If these codes pop up at the dealership seeing I've had previous SMG issues and my build date is within the build range, should I try to ask if BMWNA can help warranty it?

What would any of you do in my position? Man up and pay the price or looking at options to have it warrantied or possibly goodwill? My father's e38 has had close to 25 thousand dollars worth of repairs/parts done at their dealership so perhaps that will help with the goodwill?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well dealership called and notified that another clutch position sensor was ordered as this is the only code that came up after resetting the fault codes.

Odd that this failed within 20k miles.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replacement of clutch sensor did not fix the issue. I need to stop by the dealership and try to get the codes from them. I don't have a good feeling on this one.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Damn that stinks - is transmission failure common on these cars?

·
Registered
788 Posts
latinskllz, Good luck getting this fixed at reasonable cost. My SMG cog of ***** @65k miles turned out to be a clutch issue.

btw -- where did you get the detailed information on recalls per model year + VIN?

Well fellow M5 enthusiasts, my 2006 Interlagos M5 (11/05 build) with 57,000 miles just experienced the yellow and red tranny failure. The car would go into gear but not move revving it up to 2000 rpms. Therefore, I had it towed to the nearest dealership.

This is a bummer as I was still in the market shopping around for an extended warranty. Thankfully this happened while being parked and not while in traffic.

I was feeling the car being weird lately with some of the 1st/2nd gear shifts with a slight bucking feeling.

Last year on 3/27/2009 with 37,000 miles the car experienced problems with the SMG. The symptom was that it was not going into 1st gear. The test plan revealed multiple faults for the hydraulic system and clutch position sensor. After the PUMA case was opened, it was advised to replace the clutch position sensor and everything was ok again (this was on the previous owner).

The car does have the 27.1 programming on it and the following recalls were done:

1. SIB # 11-10-05 S85 VANOS Line Replace (up to 11/22/05 production)

2. SIB # 34-05-06 Check SZL Optical Element (from 8/26/05 to 7/28/06)

They checked my VIN and it didn't fall into the SMG pump recall (SIB # 23-01-07 right?) but the bulletin said that the affected vehicles are for engines produced from 1/25/2005-1/23/2006 and the VIN Range being B581047-B582710. My production date falls in there but my vin is off by 200 or so numbers. I wonder if the actual determining factor is for the VIN number only and not take the production date into consideration...Thoughts?

The preliminary test pulled 4 codes: Clutch Position Sensor, SMG computer, SMG Pump, and another one I cannot remember. Tomorrow will be a full test plan to determine root cause. The tech suspects theres loss of pressure on the pump.

Hopefully it's a small fix, if not I'm looking at some expensive repairs. Sucks warranty expired 1/2010 and 7k miles over...

I knew it was a gamble, but damn did not expect to have a failure 4k miles of owning the car :(

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealership is opening a PUMA case but the tech suspects a faulty slave but that requires dropping of the tranny. Damn labor for that is 6 billable hours!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PUMA came back suggesting replacement of clutch/flywheel. I'm reluctant to think it's the clutch flywheel as there was not sign of slippage before. The car was driving fine to me.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
PUMA came back suggesting replacement of clutch/flywheel. I'm reluctant to think it's the clutch flywheel as there was not sign of slippage before. The car was driving fine to me.
Often times SMG problems have turned out to be the throwout bearing galling on the sleeve it slides on. Plenty of threads here on the subject including a DIY thread with pictures. The t/o bearing seems to have become a common wear item on the SMG due to the high duty cycle it sees compared to a manually shifted car. The clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel may not be a problem/slipping, but you'd be crazy not to replace at least the clutch/pp when tranny is pulled to correct the t/o bearing. Similarly, if anyone pulls a tranny to solve a clutch slipping issue, they'd be truly insane not to replace the sleeve, aka guide bush. Never let a BMW tech tell you the guide bush is "ok." Always replace this cheap part as part of the clutch job along with the t/o bearing of course.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from what i've been told, the clutch position sensor has been replaced and now the car shifts but it's laggy between shifts. Something about the system cannot determine actual clutch position?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
from what i've been told, the clutch position sensor has been replaced and now the car shifts but it's laggy between shifts. Something about the system cannot determine actual clutch position?
If it is a mechanical issue, it's probably the throwout bearing dragging, not allowing the clutch to engage properly (i.e. what the electronics expect).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it is a mechanical issue, it's probably the throwout bearing dragging, not allowing the clutch to engage properly (i.e. what the electronics expect).
And/Or the slave prematurely wearing due to the 2nd faulty clutch position sensor...

We shall see...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Replacement of clutch sensor did not fix the issue. I need to stop by the dealership and try to get the codes from them. I don't have a good feeling on this one.
Wow I feel bad for you. The unknow is scarry. It's one think if they say the problem is "X" or X anY but if it's "X or Y or Z or ABC" you feel like you are trying to dig out of a money pit. 6 hrs to drop the tranny would motivate me to get as much done as possible as others have commented.

Should M5 buyers avoid SMG?
I realize this has been discussed previously in other discussions but seriously!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts