BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed my dad's rod bearings today on his 2008 E64 M6 6 speed. He is the original owner and has never tracked the car. It has only seen TWS oil and changed on schedule. We put M1 in and he will use that from now on. Replaced them with WPC treated bearings and ARP rod bolts. Making one pull to 45 ft/lbs sure makes this much easier.
First picture is bank 1.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I changed my dad's rod bearings today on his 2008 E64 M6 6 speed. He is the original owner and has never tracked the car. It has only seen TWS oil and changed on schedule. We put M1 in and he will use that from now on. Replaced them with WPC treated bearings and ARP rod bolts. Making one pull to 45 ft/lbs sure makes this much easier.
First picture is bank 1.
Which schedule was the oil changed at the BMW 15k or less?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Seen much worse from members on here who change their oil at 7k miles but at least they had 80K miles on them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Its the oil the guy has used. I hate to say it but 10w60 i dont think is good for these cars. it needs a thiner oil to cover the clearances between these tight spots. Im going to experiment with thinner oil. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Okay, this will probably be a stupid question... I'm going to ask it anyway.

What are the symptoms that point to the Rod Bearings being a problem? A noise? Rough running? A dashboard of lights?

I had my leaking oil cooler replaced and when I picked the car up it was making a sound. Sort of a whirring, grinding noise. If you listed carefully to the audio on this short video, you will hear it after start up.

The mechanic is thinking it is the Vanos or the line. It's going in for testing next week.

Thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Rod bearing is a silent killer, not even Blackstone analysis can predict with 100% accuracy. Once you hear any abnormal noise it's normally too late.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rod bearing is a silent killer, not even Blackstone analysis can predict with 100% accuracy. Once you hear any abnormal noise it's normally too late.
This.. :(

Reactions: OrlandoM6

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Which schedule was the oil changed at the BMW 15k or less?
I think he did it on the BMW's 15K timeline. But remember the timeline here. I did mine last summer as we all started to become aware that spun rod bearings was starting to raise its ugly head. He change to a 7.5K schedule at the 45K mark after he saw mine last summer . He also started to pay more attention to keeping rpms down until full warmed up. I think I did mine last July. I told him no one has pulled a clean set yet so he decided to do his. I remember some thought the SMG might have cause a little more wear, but evidently not. I did mine at 50K and both of our sets looked the same. He lives in SC so his cold starts aren't as cold as northern states. It's never been a daily driver and is apt to drive it when going on longer drives. Probably has had less cold starts than most.

We started with a compression check on all cylinders after we pulled the plugs out and he had many at 150psi. The motor was fairly warm. Most of mine were 145 and below on a stone cold motor.

The M6 has these metal cross braces that go from the rocker panel to the sub frame and that slowed me down until I figured out how to remove them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a trusted engine builder who builds drag race engines. As soon as I showed him these images he said its a classic case of detonation related damage and not oil starvation. Since our cars burn a lot of oil, it mixes with the fuel. I wonder have the people with bearing damage always ran 93 octane and/ or do they have a tune that may have too much advance under load?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a trusted engine builder who builds drag race engines. As soon as I showed him these images he said its a classic case of detonation related damage and not oil starvation. Since our cars burn a lot of oil, it mixes with the fuel. I wonder have the people with bearing damage always ran 93 octane and/ or do they have a tune that may have too much advance under load?

Well OP's dad would be a good example since he is an original owner.

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard this is possibly related to detonation.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I assume mobile 1? What weight?

They can basically use group 3 base for any oil and label it as fully synthetic.

So its the tunes that are killing the engines. Perhaps its time to go back to the stock software. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

If you haven't already, take the time to read this thread.

The subject of possible detonation comes up. While the results may be similar, Mahle/Clevite themselves initially agree on that position (perhaps under leading questions) then counter it and disagree.

There are many here who have posted their findings of unsatisfactory wear (myself included) with completely stock cars.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
My engine builder who has worked on Nascar engines said it has nothing to do with detonation. If this was the case he would have told me to go back to stock instead of supporting my need for more power :3:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts