BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the bucking while cold & lack of acceleration more than occasionally, (like the motor going retarded), I took the "10 minute, clean your MAFs before purchasing new ones" challenge & I'm here to tell ya that it's made a significant difference! :thumbsup:

Despite the MAFs, intake duct work & screens appearing impeccably clean at 32,000 miles, the advent of Dinan CAI & oiled ( I'm assuming Dinan's filters inside the fender wells are like that of K&Ns with respect to oiling? Someone know? ) filters might have theoretically contributed to the loss of power. It's not 100% "there" yet but close. New Bosch plugs on order - so stay tuned however, I'm impressed on just how much new found acceleration with LESS pedal effort has been acquired…

Here's the formula as indicated previously:

MAFs out.
Two minute Simple green soak
Q-Tips dab wherever a metallic sensor is visible.
91% Isopropyl alcohol bath (multiple, liberal soaks)
Q-Tip dry.
Re-insert -done. ( beats $500 eh'? )

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Very good tip. I have not experienced to dreaded dirty MAF's, but I am beginning to wonder if this should be a regular routine along with changing the oil?

Thanks for the advise. How long did it take to pull the MAF's off?

Mark

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MAH said:
Very good tip. I have not experienced to dreaded dirty MAF's, but I am beginning to wonder if this should be a regular routine along with changing the oil?

Thanks for the advise. How long did it take to pull the MAF's off?

Mark
Mark, with the T20 Torx bit, approx. 40 seconds each :D - I left the ductwork in place & merely removed/cleaned the sensors.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I got screwed when trying to clean a friends MAF's. The T20 torx screw i purchased from UK wouldnt fit his 2002 model M5. Apparently, his scews were 6 star instead of the 5 start screws on my 99 model M5!

I got my MAF's replaced after cleaning them 3 times over a period of a year, and now my Torx bit screw set is useless to me!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Does anyone who still uses the factory paper air filters ever have this problem, or is it only for those with oil-based filters?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think this is a bunch of horse hockey.......

There have been as many MAF failures with stock airbox as with K&N setup as indicated in the last M5B.com survey. Look up the thread. I personally think a MAF can't be cleaned. I replaced mine, and the plugs (which were fouled by oil seeping in from the valvecover grommets), cleared the SES warning codes, and no more problems. I did keep my old MAF and will clean it, should anyone want it............:haha2:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I think this is a bunch of horse hockey.......

ALEV8 said:
. I personally think a MAF can't be cleaned. I did keep my old MAF and will clean it, should anyone want it............:haha2:
Hey; cleaning works! And is a bunch less expensive than the $500+ route :hihihi:
Send your old ones this way - will go the untrasonic cleaning route on them & report back findings :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts