BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
However I beleive it should be reinforced, or can somebody dig u the manufacturers specs for it?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
While it might have the same design, a different transmission will be needed to handle an engine with twice the torque.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The sturdiest one Getrag offers handles 750nm / 553ft-lb

GETRAG Corporate Group - 7DCL750 TRANSMISSION

I'm sure then can build to order.
Yep, Getrag supplies the DCT for the M3 and also the (different) transaxle DCT used in Ferraris (which handle more grunt). So, I'm sure BMW is working with them for a (non-transaxle) DCT transmission that can handle the torque of the new M6.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder what the max Nm is of the BMW M3 DCT?

Yep, Getrag supplies the DCT for the M3 and also the (different) transaxle DCT used in Ferraris (which handle more grunt). So, I'm sure BMW is working with them for a (non-transaxle) DCT transmission that can handle the torque of the new M6.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is however Ive heard rumours on fast 8-speed auto but that sounds just wrong.

WHat O heard now lately was that the M3 DCT gearbox will be used for tyhe M5 but I would be surprised it could hold the torque.

I thought it was expected it would get a DCT? As mentioned, I doubt the current M3 DCT will be able to handle the M5's new power levels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
7 Speed was already an overdose, I really hope BMW doesn't go Lexus and do the 8speed. I know it will be properly engineered but going through 8 gears just annoys me. The DCT will defintely be a different, more refined version in the M5. Being the car will make much more power & torque than the current generation E9x M3s, it won't make sense to move the same transmission over- even if they claim it can "handle" the torque. Just incase. Believe it or not, manufacturers do take modifications and the aftermarket into consideration sometimes. Maybe not for software, but they know that there will be 100,000,000 companies making things for the F10 just as they did our cars.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
However the IF a 8-speed gearbox comes it might have the later parts of the gears say above 100 or 140 mph, for high-speed acceleration.

7 Speed was already an overdose, I really hope BMW doesn't go Lexus and do the 8speed. I know it will be properly engineered but going through 8 gears just annoys me. The DCT will defintely be a different, more refined version in the M5. Being the car will make much more power & torque than the current generation E9x M3s, it won't make sense to move the same transmission over- even if they claim it can "handle" the torque. Just incase. Believe it or not, manufacturers do take modifications and the aftermarket into consideration sometimes. Maybe not for software, but they know that there will be 100,000,000 companies making things for the F10 just as they did our cars.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I am believe that a V8tt M5 will have more than 600ft-lb of torque extrapolating from similar, but lower power, offerings from BMW and Porsche (Panamera Turbo Chrono Sport: 568 lb-ft.). I bet it has the (temporary) overboost capability. I assume there will be a new Getrag DCT mated to the new M5 that will accommodate the load.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Purely "armchair engineering" or "magazine racing":

Using the X5M engine as a baseline for simple factoring,

If the M5 engine does develop 607 hp (vice the X5M'5 555 hp), then its torque before over boost might be 547 lbs (vice the X5M's 500 lbs).

If there is an over boost (like the Z4 s35is) then the torque could be 611 lbs with horsepower at 678. While I'd like to see that, I don't think that is likely.

Makes you wonder if the "607" hp is the over boost number which could make the continuous hp about the same as the 555 hp of the X5M. That would be sort of a shame if the tune (without overboost active) is the same as the truck motor.

Then again, at 607 hp (and an assumed 547 lbs or torque), might that be enough? We are talking about 20% more hp and 43% more torque (compared to an S85 V-10) in a car that won't weigh 20% more. These big beasts will eat an E60 (or my E63 for that matter) for breakfast in a straight line. How well BMW makes the new barge handle remains to be seen!

BTW - The Porsche Panamera Turbo has a slightly larger V8 (4.8 vice 4.4 of the BMW) .

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If the M5 engine does develop 607 hp (vice the X5M'5 555 hp), then its torque before over boost might be 547 lbs (vice the X5M's 500 lbs).
Peak torque will generally increase more than peak HP when it is primarily achieved through higher turbo boost. That's why a linear extrapolation from X5M figures is probably too conservative with regards to peak torque.

For another point of comparison, my friend has a F01 750i with the Dinan package that brings it to 495 hp @ 5000rpm, 573 ft-lbs @ 3500rpm

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Good point, but I also wonder if (assuming redline stays the same) that the "fatter" torque curve will add the disproportionate increase you mention in the low/mid range but be flatted out on the high end by limiting software or pressure relief valves (which would keep the peak value from increasing as RPMs climb past a point). Anyway, it will be fun to see what a dyno chart looks like once the new Beasts hit the street.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
It would not surprise me if an 8 speed transmission (hopefully not a full automatic) is used, purely for fuel economy reasons. The IS-F can be sub-2k RPM at 80 MPH. As a result, it achieves an estimated 23 MPG (and maybe even better in practice) highway. Since BMW is on the "green" route, they will probably try to make the transmission improve fuel economy as much as possible.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So till no rumors about a 'proper' 6-spd manual? :S (or a 7-spd "dog-leg" manual as it is rumoered to come in the 911 [codename 991] this fall)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts