BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully not. But today was the worst day in mine and Anna's history together. I think based on some early analysis and comments from friends with knowledge on the subject, that she is totaled. That doesn't mean she will leave my possession though. Even if they total it I will buy it back. If I can't get it fixed it will stay as a parts car for the next E39 M5 that I find. Time will tell. She's done a mighty fine 198,300 miles, almost exactly 80,000 of which were in my hands... so far?

I'd rather not get into the "story", but basically someone stopped abruptly at the least likely time and I couldn't stop fast enough. It was 10 mph or less, but I can't be sure exactly what speed. The bumper of the other vehicle hit mine and then rode it up and into the rest of the front of my car. All people involved were fine, only minor bumper damage to the other vehicle. We exchanged information and they left. My radiator was leaking and the fan was hitting the shroud (plus the aux fan is crushed) so my car is not drive-able. I had it towed back to my house. I have already filed a claim with my insurance. I haven't received a call from the estimator/adjuster yet, but I want to get the advice of the experienced board members in regards to handling the claim properly. I do have a family friend/old neighbor that is a collision shop estimator that told me to call him so he can be present when the insurance guy comes to look at the car... he has been helpful so far with giving me good info regarding what I told him I'd want to do in various scenarios.

So just whats visibly damaged: hood, bumper, both headlights, radiator, core support, one fog light, aux. fan, all that plastic up there, maybe mechanical fan, maybe condenser, and least the passenger side fender looks tweaked when looking down the side of the car.

This is not a good start to the weekend. cherrsagai

Attachments

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow, sorry man! From the pics it looks salvageable, especially since it was at 10 mph or less. The other big question is, did the airbags go off? I think if not, then it is recoverable. If it is totaled, at least you have plans for it with another E39 M5 in mind, gives some peace of mind.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very sorry to see that happen but hopefully they car get it back to like new condition for you and don't have to total it. Looks like you took great care of her.

I wish you the best and glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
:crying2:

Sorry to hear about the incident.

Looks repairable.

Best of luck!

Reactions: technician117

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Sorry to see Anna get injured. In My Humble Opinion, it definitely looks repairable. Good luck.

Reactions: technician117

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep in mind the model year, mileage, and my location, which heavily influences the pricing and my state which influences the percentage cut off for totaling the vehicle. (75% in NY)

I think the damage can be repaired from the current viewpoint, but that could change after tearing it down. Also, ability to be repaired and being totaled are definitely 2 different things...

You can bet if I deem it repairable I will be on the phone with Adam. I already have a hotel room booked for Bimmerfest East, so I'll make the journey in a pick up truck and rent a u-haul trailer if I have to, to fit all the body parts I'd need...

Reactions: AGM5 and mgdmb

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
That's some strong headlights! j/k Looks repairable, no frame damage. You're looking at $5 - $6k retail repair bill, may just be enough to total it. Buy it back and DIY for < $2k in parts, win win.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's some strong headlights! j/k Looks repairable, no frame damage. You're looking at $5 - $6k retail repair bill, may just be enough to total it. Buy it back and DIY for < $2k in parts, win win.
^^ this. you will probably end up with a few extra bucks in your pocket, which i'm sure you'll put towards your usual preventative maintenance. the first day is always the worst to deal with.

you know i'm in for however many weekends it will take to tear her apart and assess damage, as well as haul parts back from Clemsterfest.

bet you a case of beer she is back on the road before the end of August. :checkeredflag: lovelove cherrsagai cherrsagai cherrsagai cherrsagai

·
Registered
443 Posts
It from the looks of it I would say total but it really depends on what the car is valued at. I see what would be an easy 5-7k with BMW parts.

I'd be curious to see what they value your car at. I've never seen an e39 come across my desk for reference....I work in total loss.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha. Yeah I was surprised the lenses didn't break. The glass inside broke on a few of them.

^^ this. you will probably end up with a few extra bucks in your pocket, which i'm sure you'll put towards your usual preventative maintenance. the first day is always the worst to deal with.

you know i'm in for however many weekends it will take to tear her apart and assess damage, as well as haul parts back from Clemsterfest.

bet you a case of beer she is back on the road before the end of August. :checkeredflag: lovelove cherrsagai cherrsagai cherrsagai cherrsagai
I'll take that bet, if only to give you more motivation to work for beers...

Glad nobody was hurt; cars can be fixed. Between your skills and the talent / parts in the area, I think you'll be ok.

Have a beer in the meantime :cheers:
Thanks for the kind words. The only positive thing from yesterday was that I got my new kegerator running and tapped my first 2 kegs (1/6th kegs) so, yes I did indeed enjoy some beer last night. mmmmmm

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Sorry to hear it, but you guys can fix that in an afternoon :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
My guess from having recently been through this with Sam's car is that it will be deemed a total loss. But I would buy it back because, unless the front rails (I.e., "horns") are bent, it's pretty much a bolt-on and paint fix, so you can do most of the work yourself and probably better than most shops. So sorry about this. Beautiful beast.

--Peter

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
NOOOOOooooooooo!

Tim,
I am very sorry to see this happen to anyone's car, but to see it on such a beautiful beast as yours...:crying::crying::crying:

I am glad that no one was injured and hope that the insurance will see fit to repair Anna.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
So sorry to see this - glad you are OK.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Easily repairable. If they salvage it, buy it back and repair it using used parts. The bumper is salvageable, you can resell that hood as repairable to recoup some costs (though I would just get a used replacement unit).

Replacement hood, radiator support, headlights, repair the bumper... really not a big deal at all. They may salvage it, but that may be a blessing in disguise. They may cut you a check for $8k and give you the car back, then you can repair it for ~$2-3k, then you pocket $5k and can sell the car for a decent chunk of change when repaired to get a clean title if you must, or if you have an emotional connection with this one, keep this one and you will know the salvage title is not a big deal at all.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts