BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is with great sadness that I relay the following. I was on my way to work last night and blacked out/passed out. There is a concrete divider on the highway and I smacked it pretty hard. I'm thankful for the divider because otherwise I could quite possibly have crossed the median and hit someone head-on. Due to the holiday weekend I may not get an estimate of the damage until the beginning of next week. After seeing the car in the daylight, I'm thinking it's a loss, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it can be repaired.

If it's totaled I'll be selling as many of the parts to you guys as possible. Which begs a question... if they do total it, how much time do I have and how much am I allowed to pull off the car? Sadly, my current budget won't allow me to buy it off the insurance company and also get a new vehicle.
Please don't ask for parts yet. I'll let you know if/when that becomes an option. If anyone is interested in buying the car for parts send me a PM and I'll get back to you when I have more details of the outcome.

RLTW,

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
wow, sorry to see, glad you are ok

unfortunately, with that much damage and the door buckled like that it is probably a total loss. sucks... looks exactly like my car including the winter wheels

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wow! - You survived which was the important thing - suggest you don't drive till you have have relevant tests and heart monitoring so medics source the symptom of the blackout.

Looking at the car and cost of repair I think insurance will not payout

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
GLAD that you are OK and sorry for our loss.

As said before, its a loss. The passenger door isn't straight due to chassis being slightly twisted.

You dont have to shell out cash to buy car back, they will just give you that much less money.

If possible try to buy it back, get in touch with a tech/guru from the forum and part the beast, its worth more than they are going to charge you.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Glad you are OK, but that's totaled.

In the UK, not sure about the US, then entire car belongs to the insurance company if it's totaled, in theory you are not allowed remove anything that is deemed to be part of the car.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ouch...

Sorry to hear about that...but the car is totaled my friend.

Assuming coverage and what insurance will pay out for the value of the car and your wish to part it out, you must first get it out of the storage lot (hopefully insurance is covering this for you --otherwise the longer you wait more $$$; the storage lot will not allow you to part the car out while you keep it there) and take it to your garage or a public storage auto lot (where I took my totaled ///M to part it out) and get busy stripping.

Or in your case, the engine looks salvageable so you can take it to a shop and strip the engine, trans, diff or anything else and haul it to your garage/storage place and sell piece by piece. When you're done stripping the car for anything valuable call up junkmycar.com and have them come by and haul what's left of your car for scrap metal and pay you $300 cash (they'll even haul a car with no wheels). Time for a new ///M. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Contact me dude. Let me help you with this!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yikes! Glad you're alright. Did the airbags wake you up?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Based on my recent experience, you will be getting a check from your insurance co and they will be taking the car and selling it as salvage for $5K +/-. So start looking for it's replacement and saving up the additional money you will need to contribute to the deal. I received $12.5K + tax for my pristine 1 owner AW 2000 M5. I paid $23K + tax & shipping for it's replacement.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Looks like there's frame damage, it'll definitely cost more than it's worth to fix it back to where it was, aka "Totaled". Fortunately, you're ok thanks to the BMW chassis and Airbag/HRS, do you recall how fast you were going? If you're able to pull parts, I'd be interested in the rear diffuser (panel between the quad exhausts).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sorry to read this and see the pics. I hope whatever caused the initial issue for you isn't major.

That MM11 wheel sure didn't hold up well in the impact.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Really? Look at the cement ::inside:: the wheel. All things considering, it looks like it held up fine...

thats what I was thinking, the wheel looks like it held up just fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That looks like snow, not concrete... But I agree, the wheel held up fine given the unibody warping smack into the divider.

Did you fall asleep or ? Glad you are OK, must have been an awful experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts