BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well, I am spending lots of time under the car. Today I noticed these holes that let me see into the clutch. Are these holes supposed to be there? It seems to me there should be plugs or something to keep crap from getting in there. Sorry for the simple questions but I don't know, haven't been able to find an answer, so I am asking the experts!

Thanks! And Happy 4th to those of us here in the colonies :usa:!

There is one really big one too...

·
Registered
128 Posts
The large one, yes there should be a plug. The 3 on the bottom, No.
The big one is to undo the torque converter bolts on an M62 auto. The bottom ones are to let coolant out when the valley pan or rear water jacket lets go, also on the M62.
Since the S62 is a younger cousin of the M62 they are still there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that big plug one of those things that falls out? Or did te shop that replaced the transmission not too long ago probably forget to put it back? Anyone have a part number for that big plug?

THANKS!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are 2 rubber plugs that go on the small holes too. One on each side of the transmission. The middle hole would be used for draining.

John
Thanks John, are you talking about the four holes where the case splits to access the clutch? Or elsewhere?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've probably done a couple thousand miles with these 5 plugs missing. Do you guys think any damage could have been done?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts