BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all . . .

I have been following the board for the last 4 or 5 months to gain information before I decided between a 540i/6 and the beast. As with the other "newbies" I am impressed with how sophisticated the information is that is passed through the board. The discussions concerning the various clutch problems and alternatives is amazing.

I have decided to just go for the beast and while I initially believed that an 01 CPO was the safe way to go in light of my budget I have recently decided that perhaps if I go with a private seller of an 02 or 03 I can benefit from the remaining factory warranty and then purchase an extended warranty when the time comes.

With this in mind I have the following questions in an effort to ensure that my reasoning is sound.

1. Have any of you had an experience where the dealer rejected a warranty claim due to something the prior owner did?

2. With regard to Dinan mods I realize that Dinan is recognized by BMW but if I purchase a car with Dinan mods must I prove that the mods were installed by a Dinan authorized installer to benefit from saving my factory warranty?

3. In looking into an ebay sale, can anyone recommend an inspection company to have the car looked at before I bid?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and I hope to be joining the club soon.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Welcome-

Good decision!

If you shop well I don't think the dealer prices should be that much higher than private party sales- maybe 3-4k as opposed to the 7-8k 'step' you see from 00 to 01 to 02 to 03...

Check out some of my older posts on swinging a cpo warranty on a private party sale.

I've heard second hand that a clutch got turned down due to a prior owners' abuse... rumored... but there is so much BS with clutch coverage it is a muddy issue. If you get a complete print out of all service work (and notes) you will know the history- reduces the chance of a surprise.

On #2, yes the Dinan mods must be registered. I do not think they will cpo a car with dinan mods....

On #3: not many ebay cars sell within the auction. Cut a deal with them and do your inspections. If you must, post the city here and onther members will likely give you a 'drive by inspection'. They can also recommend a trusted INDEPENDENT mechanic to do an inspection.

Buy a carfax pass.

Have fun!

A

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :byebye:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Can't go wrong with a BEAST. Good luck finding your baby, and welcome aboard. Also, become a member.... This board is a great place :wroom:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My M5 is currently stock, but I've been inquiring about Dinan mods. My local dealership explained to me that if I had Dinan mods installed within the original factory 4yr/50k warranty then the car can be certified with mods and the mods would also be covered into the certified 6yr/100k warranty. Unfortunately for me my 2000 is already out of the factory and into the extended CPO warranty :(
That is what my local dealership service manager had to say, whether or not this is true for all dealerships in all states I have no idea?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
From the Dinan web site (www.dinanbmw.com), where they also list the CPO dealers...

Dinan Certified Pre-Owned performance enhanced BMWs are now available through our nation-wide network of participating Authorized Dinan BMW Performance Centers. Dinan Certified Pre-Owned BMWs offer the same detailed inspections, refurbishing and warranty coverage as that offered for a stock pre-owned BMW. Performance enthusiasts can now enjoy the peace of mind provided by the certified pre-owned program, along with the added excitement and exclusivity of driving a Dinan performance-enhanced BMW. Owning a reliable, high perforrmance pre-owned BMW has never been easier or more affordable.

Contact a participating Authorized Dinan BMW Performance Center for information on currently available Dinan Certified Pre-Owned BMWs and details about the program and warranty coverage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yet another Noob

Not to derail the thread but I might as well throw my intro here too.

Everyone over at the fest told me after after I accidentally test drove a beast that I should come over and get to know you guys and start to learn about this car and which one I should decide on.

I currently have a '00 528iA Sport (no mods, just some M-Parallels) - don't flame I didn't know any better - that has been by far the most reliable fun to drive/own car I've ever had. I also have 2 Range Rovers (one older to use off road and one newer I drive half the time and the E39 the other half).

I have a little warranty left on my 528 so I figure when the E60 M5 shows up I'll be ready to pick up one of these you guys will be ready to pass on to a new home.

Looking forward to having fun with a new board and car,

KC in Houston

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome aboard! This board is amazing, the members are all top-notch, as is the info they give. I've only been here for 2 months or so, and have had tonnes of help! Enjoy, and be sure to always do a search when you come up with any problems, chances are you're not the only person to have had it! :cheers:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the kind welcomes and the advice.

I still am tempted to bid on something that is good price on E bay and then simply rely on the remaining factory warranty. as "ard" pointed out the clutch is definitely a wear issue that can easliy be blamed upon the prior owner. however, while the cost of replacing a clutch is not small, the savings could outweigh the clutch replacement. what I am concerned about is a VANOS issue or some other engine internal problem which I cannot get covered by a warranty claim based upon something the prior owner did.

I have a feeling that I will just keep searching this board and the bmwusa site to find a CPO that I can afford.

Any other imput is appreciated.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts