BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, background. I presently have an M5 and love it. But I really want to upgrade track type performance with more of a sports car. Now the rub, and it's me not the wife. I like to have the option to take the family, most importantly my now 4 and 6 year old in "Dad's car". I need the car next summer and presently have a deposit on both an M6 and a 997S. I have not seen a 997S and my question is, will the kids fit in the back seats up to about age 10 or 11? does anyone have a 997 and have any backseat input? also, am I missing any other possible new car choices? have you heard of any cars which might "fit the bill" coming out in the next year? I appreciate your help.

frank

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
fgbaloh said:
First, background. I presently have an M5 and love it. But I really want to upgrade track type performance with more of a sports car. Now the rub, and it's me not the wife. I like to have the option to take the family, most importantly my now 4 and 6 year old in "Dad's car". I need the car next summer and presently have a deposit on both an M6 and a 997S. I have not seen a 997S and my question is, will the kids fit in the back seats up to about age 10 or 11? does anyone have a 997 and have any backseat input? also, am I missing any other possible new car choices? have you heard of any cars which might "fit the bill" coming out in the next year? I appreciate your help.

frank
while i dont have the familiy, i do have the same concerns as i like to take long trips with family/friends and I want to be the one who drives everyone so Im up in the air on the size restrictions on the e63...

i think for your 4 and 6 year olds, they will just about fit into the M6, as for the 997, i think you are pushing it... of course, if you and your wife are very short, that may be a deciding factor on the M6, but the 997, forget it...

i am about 6ft and I know that when I situate the e63 where Im most comfortable, the back of the driver seat just about touches the rear seat so no one could sit behind me... for a short sprint, i suppose I could move the seat up a bit, but honestly, there isnt 3 inches to find... thats my biggest problem with the 6er, its amazingly beautiful, but primarily a 2 seater... now on the the 997... i would say that in just about every situation, you would not want to have anyone in the rear... it is extremely tight, and remember, the 911 is a true sports car and the ride is 'harsh' to say the least, but its where a sports car should be...i dont think theres a shot that your children would be happy cramped in the back of that for anything more than a very short ride at their current ages, let alone in a few years time as they grow... if they are in child seats, i'd say maybe, but other than that, i'd look else where..

other options? well the E60 M5 is the beast to beat for 4 passenger driving, but if you stray out of BMW...hmm...whats your budget? the bently coupe is really nice looking, and the MB CL is being redesigned in the next year, it has more rear room than the 6er, so you may want to give it a look

.... and of course, if your budget is absolutley open ended, you can go for what may be the ultimate 4 seater, the 612 Scaglietti....

·
Registered
831 Posts
I completely agree with the last reply. Having had 5-series,,911s and currently a 645 among other cars, I would say that the 911 is a two seater, and is even a tad cramped for the driver. I had two of them and unless you are slight of build it is a bit tight.
The 6 can take passengers in the rear for very short distances but is very uncomfortable for them.
I am getting my M6,but keep a VW Touareg V8 as a general purpose hauler and find I use it more than I expected to.
A scaglietti would indeed be nice.........

·
Registered
816 Posts
Cannot agree more. The "dilemma" facing the M6 and E63 in general, I think, is that BMW was trying to design a car which has sporting characteristics and the M6 does that (I hope), and also be a relatively comfortable "grand tourer" that can sit two people in the rear. If the back seats are any bigger than they are now, we end up with a car looking and driving like a sedan (Benz CL class feels that way). If you want a large coupe that still drives like a sports car and can still fit short distance rides for two rear passengers, I think the M6 is at the "limit" of this class.

The biggest rear I've sat in for large coupes is the CL class. The Ferrari Scaglietti's rear isn't much bigger than the M6; it probably feels deeper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts