BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been tackling this one for about 4 or 5 days now, just working on it when i had a bit of time before it got dark. i'd roll the car out into the driveway to use available daylight [and daytime temps] and get all the wiring run. while time consuming, it really was straight forward and simple to do once i had nailed the the first sill in.

they really are beautiful! astounding. i am very happy to have them in and can't wait to be using the beast at night so that i [and others] can take advantage of the beast's new show-off feature.

i would highly recommend that if you are considering this mod, do it!!!!! yeah, the price for front & back is about $750 or so, but what looks!!! fronts are a bit more than half.

left now are my clear corner headlights, predator ice v2.1's, xenon fogs and swapping out the fuel filter. oh, and the clutch :-(

in another week i'll get to drive her again full time. ya-hoo!!

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
410 Posts
...I've seen the group buy thread before and also think this is a nice addition. BUT I have a simple question, other than paying for new sills from the company, why not make your own lighted sills rather than paying almost $800?? I can't imagine it being that difficult...or am I completely wrong?

·
Registered
490 Posts
...I've seen the group buy thread before and also think this is a nice addition. BUT I have a simple question, other than paying for new sills from the company, why not make your own lighted sills rather than paying almost $800?? I can't imagine it being that difficult...or am I completely wrong?
As I learned with mine. They are inserts for the sills. They are electroluminescent lights. This is definitely not a do it yourself type of job. I am sure if you had the right materials and the knowledge as to how to use the technology, sure you can do it yourself. However, a majority of us do not. Oh and as Ryan stated in the Group Buy thread. Materials aren't cheap. So, just wanted to post a reply. IMHO.

Oh, congrats on the door sills again. Looks great. I for one think it was a lot of money but...they look freakin great!! I am very happy with the look. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
cool!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice.

Can you estimate how long it took and how difficult it would be for an average person to install? I saw on one website that sold the lighted sills where it said it was a 5/5 for difficulty. Finally, can you let us know where you purchased them from (I guess unless there is just one retailer as I have seen other posts of where they were purchased from.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I can tell you. I have absolutely no skill when it comes to working with car electricity and only normal skills when it comes to working with cars and esp. car interiors. If you follow the instructions the front ones will take you abt (at the most) 3 hours, maybe less. The rear ones are easier, but a little fiddly to connect the electric wires to the front ones. But really no big deal. 5 of 5 no abt 3/5. You need a few tools and persistance and a good vocabulary.
If you need some help I can hopefully instruct you as the rear ones are delivered without any installation instruction.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you estimate how long it took and how difficult it would be for an average person to install?
for me, it might have taken 5 hours. but i dilly-dallied and took it over 4 days. the car is off the road right now until all my upgrades are completed, so there wasn't a rush to get it done asap.

that all said, i wouldn't say that it was "difficult" by any means. it really was quite simple. "disconcerting" is probably a much better word as you are ripping parts off your car, breaking plastic connectors, taking off interior trim and trying to figure out how to route the wiring. i took my time, didn't rush, and it really was simple. probably the best thing to do is have someone who has done them available for a phone call. pm me if you wish and if you get stuck, i am more than willing to talk you through any stop points that may occur with your install.

but if you are considering this, it is *h-o-t*!!! they look friggin fantastic!!!!!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had mine put in 3 months ago and could not be happier! they literallly light up the street when you open the doors in total darkness. The best is a dark garage at night. Wow. Holy M5 sills Batman!:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks

I appreciate it- will let you know if I decide to do it. The pics from Gherardini look great- what a great add.

BTW and this is off subject, Gherardini, but I live in Tucson and did buy that Carbon Black M5 from Don Mackey that I PM'd you on about a year ago (I purchased it on 3/31/07). I love it- could not be happier. Not that you care much but you can see some pics if you click on the link below my name moniker.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
she looks nice!! i am both happy and unhappy with my titanium silver. i certainly wanted a silver car, just because it is cooler than the darker colors here in az. but the darker colors look sooooo much better [though difficult to keep shiny]. your's looks great! i can't wait to remove the yellow corner on the headlights. that's my next job.

maybe someday that i get up to tucson [maybe wednesday night] you can see the sills in real life. unless you're taking a ride down to bisbee for a trip back in time. pm me if you want.

·
Registered
446 Posts
man, makes me wanna do this for sure.

I knew they existed, and now I know why.

:cheers:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks awesome!

I had a set of these lighted door sills on my AMG and loved it! But these M5 ones looks even better than those... if only I had an extra $800 laying around to buy these for my M5....

·
8,369 Posts
Nice!

If you happen to find an extra set of $800.00 laying around your house somewhere - kindly buy two sets and give the other set to me :)

Looks awesome!

I had a set of these lighted door sills on my AMG and loved it! But these M5 ones looks even better than those... if only I had an extra $800 laying around to buy these for my M5....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts