BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my exhaust on last week, and finally had time to take a video. This is a Magnaflow x pipe where the stock "H" pipe was, and new pipes back to the Magnaflow 14816 mufflers. It's loud. Here's my description from an earlier thread:

I would say it's louder, but not bad. Right when you start the car and it idles at about 1-1.2k for 10 seconds or so, I think holy crap, this is loud!:eek:oohhh: But when it comes back down to normal idle it is barely louder then stock.

At certain RPM's there is a little drone, maybe 1800-2400 RPM's where it is way louder then stock. But this is only when you aren't on the gas. If you are on it I don't notice it. (maybe because I'm expecting the sound). :M5rev:

I plan on taking a bunch of videos within the next few days. Both inside and out of the cabin, at various RPMs, WOT, etc... I know the video clips can be a little misleading, but I'll still put in my input on the great exhaust debacle.

Personally I love the sound, close to America V8 muscle (I keep thinking of fox body stang with loud exhaust), but still has a little Exotic V8 tone (think ferarri 355, 360). Hard to describe, hopefully my vid clips will better describe the sound. :byee55amg

Oh, the exhuast tips are really big too! I have the 14816's with (I believe) 3.5" tips and I got a few comments about how "badass" my new exhaust was from guys at work. But when I told them the price of everything, they were dumbfounded how everything could be so inexpensive for such great sound and good looks.

Now I just need to get my flex disc replaced ASAP.

And the video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p-XMnNJeQRM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p-XMnNJeQRM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sounds great! Do you have any under car photos? Just wanted to see how you did the H-pipe. Nice work.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ah, just the video I was waiting for. Sounds real good Chris. I don't hear any rasp, which is good. The exhaust tone should change slightly once the muffler is broken in. Thanks for the vid! :cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm waiting for them to break in a little bit. I can still hear a tiny bit of rasp from inside the car. But not enough to not like the sound!

Here are some underneath shots. I should have taken some when it was up on the lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Did you use the 3 inch Xpipe?

Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it's the 2.5" X. I think model number 10791.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments, I got everything from Hottexhaust for like $310 or something. Great price because I used a random coupon i found on goole.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I searched google again, and I believe I used this one: Fordtruck8

I think it was like 50 off a 300+ purchase. I can't find my reciept, so I don't remember for sure. Just google Hottexhaust coupon and try a few and see which ones give the best savings.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
We're going to need in-cabin video now ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
<TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=700 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#000000>
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle background="" bgColor=#000000>Order Summary</TD></TR><TR><TD background="" bgColor=#000000>Please review your order as shown below. To modify the quantity of any item ordered, input the desired quantity and select the Recalculate Order button below. To delete an item click on DELETE. </TD><TR><TD background="" bgColor=#000000><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="40%" background="" bgColor=#000000>product</TD><TD align=middle width="15%" background="" bgColor=#000000>unit price</TD><TD align=middle width="15%" background="" bgColor=#000000>qty</TD><TD align=middle width="15%" background="" bgColor=#000000>price</TD><TD align=middle width="15%" background="" bgColor=#000000>action</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="40%" background="">14x5x8 2.25/3 D-DW-R-S-L Stainles Muffler Dual Double Wall 3in. Tips Magnaflow 14815
</TD><FORM action=order.asp method=post><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle width="15%" background="">$186.29</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle width="15%" background=""><INPUT size=2 value=2 name=FormQuantity1></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle width="15%" background="">$372.58</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%" background=""><INPUT type=hidden value=14815 name=sProdID1> <INPUT type=hidden value=14766 name=iOrderID1> <INPUT type=hidden value=2 name=iQuantity1> <INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=iProdAttrNum1> <INPUT type=image src="http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/buttons/odelete.gif" border=0 name=DeleteFromOrder1>
</TD><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="40%" background="">2.5 Tru-X Pipe Magnaflow Stainless Crossover
</TD><FORM method="POST" action="order.asp"><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle width="15%" background="">$79.95</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle width="15%" background=""><INPUT size=2 value=1 name=FormQuantity2></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle width="15%" background="">$79.95</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%" background=""><INPUT type=hidden value=10791 name=sProdID2> <INPUT type=hidden value=14767 name=iOrderID2> <INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=iQuantity2> <INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=iProdAttrNum2> <INPUT type=image src="http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/buttons/odelete.gif" border=0 name=DeleteFromOrder2>
</TD><TR><TD width="40%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right width="30%" colSpan=2>Free Shipping on orders over $50.00!

All items discounted 10.5%! </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%"><INPUT type=hidden value=2 name=iProductCounter> <INPUT type=image src="http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/buttons/calc.gif" border=0 name=Recalculate> Recalculate Order
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>
Click Here To Enter a Coupon!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right width="75%">Sub Total:</TD><TD noWrap align=left width="25%" height=20>$452.53</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right width="75%">Coupon Discount:</TD><TD noWrap align=left width="25%" height=20>-$74.67</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right width="75%">Store Wide Discount:</TD><TD noWrap align=left width="25%" height=20>-$47.52</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right width="75%">Sub Total:</TD><TD noWrap align=left width="25%" height=20>$330.34 </TD><TD align=middle width="5%"></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="100%" colSpan=5><HR width="90%" color=#000000 noShade SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="100%" colSpan=3 height=169><FORM action=https://www.hottexhaust.com/ssl/process_order.asp method=post target=_top><INPUT type=hidden name=REFERER> <INPUT type=hidden value=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=coupon+hottexhaust&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8 name=HTTP_REFERER> <INPUT type=hidden value=69.236.76.157 name=REMOTE_ADDRESS> <INPUT type=hidden name=CustID> <INPUT type=hidden value=382203876 name=SessionID> <INPUT type=hidden name=LoggedSessionID> <INPUT type=hidden value=$330.34 name=TotalPrice> <!-- --><INPUT type=image src="http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/buttons/check_out.gif" border=0 name=checkout> </FORM><FORM id=form1 name=form1 action=http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=10791&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&btnSearch.x=9&btnSearch.y=4 method=post><INPUT type=image alt="Continue Shopping" src="http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/buttons/continueshop.gif" value="Continue Search" border=0 name=continue_search> </FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I found the coupon on a vw forum - type in veedub in the coupon area. It didn't apply for just the cans, as you have to exceed $400 in merchandise for the coupon to apply. So I added the x-pipe to the cart, entered the coupon, and viola - $330 to my door, shipping included. I called to see if the coupon code would apply to just the cans, but their sales desk was closed for the day. I'll try tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I like the sound. From the outside video, there seems to be no rasp and it sounds deep with good treble. It is probably slightly louder ~25% than just the cans after full break-in like mine. Your exhaust is definitely going to get louder/deeper when the cans break in. It also sounds much nicer than the SS Xpipe and Mag 14816/5 combo. Hmmm, you got me thinking about adding a magnaflow xpipe now. Sounds great!

Vic

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice work Chris. I've had the 14816 cans for 1,000 miles and absolutely love em! Didn't do the X-pipe, but put straight pipes in where the resonator was. I hope mine sounds as good. I only know what it sounds like inside the car. :dunno:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took some in-cabin videos today, not the best quality, but they work for sound levels.

How can I compress the files to get them on youtube? I'm using adobe premiere pro, but the AVI files are almost always over 100megabytes. Anyone have a tip?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
file...export...adobe media encoder...pick something small e.g. quicktime, windows media player, mpeg2.

Perfect, exporting now. I guess I'm used to the old version of premiere, where it just had "export" - then it gave all the options from there. Youtube coming soon!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts