BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new set of 4 tyres for my '91 3.6, and was going to get Eagle F1's all round - but can get a set of the narrow size in Dunlop SP3000A cheap for the fronts.

What anyones opinions on these tyres, and also opinions on having a different pair of tyres for the front and for the back? (Prob still gonna go with Eagle F1's on the rear.)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
As long as you keep the same spec tyres per axle you will be fine - just don't mix different spec's left/right!

Not used the SP3000's and all I know is that they are a high performance tyre, compared with a maximum performance tyre (P-Zero, F1, etc) - and depends what you mean by 'cheap' (I think you've been on the BlackCircles clearance page, haven't you?).

F1's are about £90 in the 235/45z17 size, and you can also get P-Zero Rosso's for that price, or Toyo Proxes T1-R's for £80.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm-Five said:
As long as you keep the same spec tyres per axle you will be fine - just don't mix different spec's left/right!

Not used the SP3000's and all I know is that they are a high performance tyre, compared with a maximum performance tyre (P-Zero, F1, etc) - and depends what you mean by 'cheap' (I think you've been on the BlackCircles clearance page, haven't you?).

F1's are about £90 in the 235/45z17 size, and you can also get P-Zero Rosso's for that price, or Toyo Proxes T1-R's for £80.
Yes I've been to black circles!! CHeap is £137 for a pair of SP300A's - goodyear F1's for £178 for same size. Maybe i'll stick with F1's all round.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
Yes I've been to black circles!! CHeap is £137 for a pair of SP300A's - goodyear F1's for £178 for same size. Maybe i'll stick with F1's all round.

Cheers!
I have F1's all round. Can't fault them so far and they do take some hard driving.

Got mine from etyres, where they come to you and fit the tyres there and then!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
I have F1's all round. Can't fault them so far and they do take some hard driving.

Got mine from etyres, where they come to you and fit the tyres there and then!!

Steve
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? They only seem to have the rears in stock, and they look like about £50 more expensive than the best (unfitted) price i have found. I'm sure it won't cost £50 for fitting!

Also I can not seem to find the fronts in the GS-D2 like the rears (or the DS-G3 on the rears to match the fronts) so is running a different pair on the front to the backs advisable - a performance tyre place said the car "wouldn't handle right" which sounds a bit like BS to me.... The tread looks similar, same V tread, just slightly different details.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? They only seem to have the rears in stock, and they look like about £50 more expensive than the best (unfitted) price i have found. I'm sure it won't cost £50 for fitting!

Also I can not seem to find the fronts in the GS-D2 like the rears (or the DS-G3 on the rears to match the fronts) so is running a different pair on the front to the backs advisable - a performance tyre place said the car "wouldn't handle right" which sounds a bit like BS to me.... The tread looks similar, same V tread, just slightly different details.
I can update this thread when i get home with the prices.. I think they were in the £250 bracket ( a pair ). I have GSD3's all round.

Steve

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**** these bloody tyres!!!

I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that I can get a matched set of tyres other than Toyo Proxes T1-R.

I wanted the Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3 but can only find those in the fronts (235/45/17), and GS-D2 for the rears (265/40/17).

A local place can get Dunlop SP 9000's all round, but that comes in £550 which is Ok, but I can get the Good Years (D2 rears, and D3 fronts) for about £500.

Or the Toyo Proxes for about £410, which i may regret i fear....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
**** these bloody tyres!!!

I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that I can get a matched set of tyres other than Toyo Proxes T1-R.

I wanted the Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3 but can only find those in the fronts (235/45/17), and GS-D2 for the rears (265/40/17).

A local place can get Dunlop SP 9000's all round, but that comes in £550 which is Ok, but I can get the Good Years (D2 rears, and D3 fronts) for about £500.

Or the Toyo Proxes for about £410, which i may regret i fear....
Are you looking for 265 rears or they only had them in 265??

255/40/17 is what I run at the rear.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/car-tyres-uk/detail?productId=3200

Steve

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
Are you looking for 265 rears or they only had them in 265??

255/40/17 is what I run at the rear.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/car-tyres-uk/detail?productId=3200

Steve
I thought the 9" Throwing star alloy (assuming that's what you have on your ///M) was suppossed to have 265 tyres on the rear?

Even though, etyres had the GS-D2 in the 265's - just nothing in 235 for the fronts! I'd like to get the fronts and the rears from the same place!! I'll see if I can find somewhere that had the 235 fronts in the D3's, and see if they have 255 rears.....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
I thought the 9" Throwing star alloy (assuming that's what you have on your ///M) was suppossed to have 265 tyres on the rear?

Even though, etyres had the GS-D2 in the 265's - just nothing in 235 for the fronts! I'd like to get the fronts and the rears from the same place!! I'll see if I can find somewhere that had the 235 fronts in the D3's, and see if they have 255 rears.....
What is the Nurburgring Package?
In addition to the standard Adaptive M Suspension fitted to all 3.8-liter M5s, the Nurburgring Package could be added as an extra cost option. This consisted of ZF Servotronic (vehicle-speed sensitive) power steering, a larger rear anti-roll bar, wider 255/40ZR17 rear tires on 9x17 alloy wheels (already standard on the Touring) and a control switch for the adjustable shocks that allowed them to be locked in the firmest position. This package became standard on all M5s as of May, 1994 production, with the exception of the Servotronic steering which became a separate option at this time.

I would call etyres (unless you already have) and see if they stock the 235's!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
What is the Nurburgring Package?
In addition to the standard Adaptive M Suspension fitted to all 3.8-liter M5s, the Nurburgring Package could be added as an extra cost option. This consisted of ZF Servotronic (vehicle-speed sensitive) power steering, a larger rear anti-roll bar, wider 255/40ZR17 rear tires on 9x17 alloy wheels (already standard on the Touring) and a control switch for the adjustable shocks that allowed them to be locked in the firmest position. This package became standard on all M5s as of May, 1994 production, with the exception of the Servotronic steering which became a separate option at this time.

I would call etyres (unless you already have) and see if they stock the 235's!!

Steve
Well if i can fit 255's to the throwing star 9" rear alloys (i don't have the nuburgring package tho, and I have a '91 3.6 ///M5 not 3.8) I can indeed get a set of Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3's delivered but not fitted for £392, so fitted for about £440. That seems pretty good to me. The place is £35 cheaper on each tyre for the 255 god year, so prob won't use etyres.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
Well if i can fit 255's to the throwing star 9" rear alloys (i don't have the nuburgring package tho, and I have a '91 3.6 ///M5 not 3.8) I can indeed get a set of Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3's delivered but not fitted for £392, so fitted for about £440. That seems pretty good to me. The place is £35 cheaper on each tyre for the 255 god year, so prob won't use etyres.
Great news..

what are they called for future use?

steve

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hertfordshire1 said:
Great news..

what are they called for future use?

steve
www.mytyres.co.uk.

just placed the order for:
2 X Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3's 235/45/17 £84.70 each
2 X Good Year eagle F1 GS-D3's 255/40/17 £105.90 each
2 X Toyo Proxes T1-R's 245/40/17 (for the missus 318i) £87.00 each

TOTAL = £555.20 inclusive of VAT & delivery.

And I have a friend who will fit for a few pints on top of case disposal & valve cost, so not bad in the end!

Thanks for all the help!!

PS. By the way, mytyres.co.uk prices seem to fluctuate daily, only by £3-£7 but can make a diff when ordering a few tyres! But they do seem to be the cheapest i could find, and ordering was quick and easy - even had a confirmation call already!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
www.mytyres.co.uk.

And I have a friend who will fit for a few pints on top of case disposal & valve cost, so not bad in the end!

PS. By the way, mytyres.co.uk prices seem to fluctuate daily, only by £3-£7 but can make a diff when ordering a few tyres! But they do seem to be the cheapest i could find, and ordering was quick and easy - even had a confirmation call already!
Glad you got there in the end mate...

Enjoy the rubber!!!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

I have to replace two worn out Dunlop SP Sport 2000E. The car runs on 235/45/17 front and rear. There are a few tyres in the same price range as a new pair of the above mentioned Dunlops, and I would greatly appreciate some advice about which ones to choose:

Dunlop SP Sport 2000E
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 or 9090
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Nokian NRY or Z

Should I stick with the same Dunlops to keep the car balanced? A tyre shop here in Sweden told me they are not being sold anymore, but I've found them for sale in Europe/on the Internet. Is it an outdated model? Eagle F1 seems to be popular among board members; will it be ok to run these in the rear with my other Sport 2000E's in the front?

Thanks in advance!
Patrik

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The F1s or 9000/9090 are the better of the 4 listed - the F1/9000/9090 are a higher performance tyre than the 2000E and will probably not last as long, but will give better grip while they last. Not used any Nokians!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stevie said:
I've got about 3mm left on my front P-Zero Rosso's after 885kms.....

Yes, that's Eighthundredeightyfive kilometres.....

Although about 400 of those were on track :thumbsup:

http://www.e34m5.de/board/showthread.php?t=4311

hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha

I absolutely LOVE this tire.... I used to be a PilotSport guy, until I tried these!!!!
I had a set of Rossos. I absolutely could not break them loose. Not even doing the truly stupid. I can't abide those tall (for their size) sidewalls, though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
illjah said:
www.mytyres.co.uk.

I'll be needing all of the above fairly soon and I'm thinking of getting them from mytyres. Did they turn up? were they the OK?. I'm a bit concerned as other place seem to sell the fronts for £120

1 - 20 of 22 Posts