BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a reasonably well cared for M5 I stumbled in a Touring, today. I was browsing the local newspaper and found one being sold 5 miles away from me, in a BMW dealer.

The car is in very good shape, not 100-points cosmetically as the M5 sedan I tested last week, but decent. Also it was not as dead silent inside, seems that the extra plastic pieces in the back are a bit loose. A few dings and scratches, nothing major. Engine and transmission both felt very tight. It fell just as powerful but heavier than the sedan.

I´ll see it again tomorrow, because it was getting dark and I could not check it out thorougly. The good news is that the dealer will consider buying my S6 - I´m sure they will pay a fair price ouich (right!!!). The bad news is that the asking price is the equivalent to US$ 22,000 compared to US$18,000 for the sedan. Expensive, isn´t it? Consider that imported cars in general cost US retail plus 100% in taxes and now you get it...

Would you go for the Touring considering just the price diferencial, everything else being the same?

Wish me luck!

Antonio

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
[email protected] wow, a M5touring in BRAZIL ??!!! tell me about it, please !!!
which one is it ?? the last 3 figures of the VIN = BL01??? -
do not know of any M5touring in South-America except for one just about
to be shipped from France to Argentina -
-
wud appreciate your input to the M5touring registry whether you will buy it
or not -
-
PS: a M5touring in good shape is a rare car and more so in Brazil, if it is worth
the extra money if in equal shape as a saloon is really up to you to decide,
for sure it will be difficult for your neighbour to get anothre mmmmmm :)
-
brgds
Karl

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5-ready said:
In my search for a reasonably well cared for M5 I stumbled in a Touring, today. I was browsing the local newspaper and found one being sold 5 miles away from me, in a BMW dealer.

The car is in very good shape, not 100-points cosmetically as the M5 sedan I tested last week, but decent. Also it was not as dead silent inside, seems that the extra plastic pieces in the back are a bit loose. A few dings and scratches, nothing major. Engine and transmission both felt very tight. It fell just as powerful but heavier than the sedan.

I´ll see it again tomorrow, because it was getting dark and I could not check it out thorougly. The good news is that the dealer will consider buying my S6 - I´m sure they will pay a fair price ouich (right!!!). The bad news is that the asking price is the equivalent to US$ 22,000 compared to US$18,000 for the sedan. Expensive, isn´t it? Consider that imported cars in general cost US retail plus 100% in taxes and now you get it...

Would you go for the Touring considering just the price diferencial, everything else being the same?

Wish me luck!

Antonio
Hi Antonio

I recently purchased a Touring in Europe and brought it to the UK so I understand your dilemma. I think that the rarity of the Touring makes it a little different, kind of makes it a little more exclusive also most people do not have a clue that there was anything like the M5 Touring. If, as I assume you do not have the disadvantage of the car being left hand drive only, then I would go for the Touring.

Even in the UK, with the disadvantage of driving on the wrong side of the road:wroom: , I still love the Touring. Although the saloon is fantastic I like the slightly quirky nature of having a 170 MPH estate that can shockl a Ferrari:D .

Simon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karl, as far as I know there are 4 E34 M5 Tourings in Brazil, but this one is the first one I actually saw (and drove). The car is in good shape (PO just replaced all brake rotors and pads) the only remark is that it felt a bit butt heavy, but then I guess it really is!! For sure it is an exclusive car but guess what - my brother-in-law drives a black 1995 530 Touring!

Well, I have a few days to think about it, the car was offered first to someone else, who has the preference. You may have heard of him - Nelson Piquet, our local F1 champion. He drove the car and is considering it.

I did not take note of the VIN #. I´ll call the dealer tomorrow and ask, so you can count one down already :cheers:

Cheers,

Antonio

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simon, thanks for the input. I guess the only reason I´m not completely in love with the car is that I never had the chance to really flog it! I drove the saloon at night under light rain for 5 min around city blocks, and the estate for 10 min. this time during the day and in fair weather, but could not dial more than 70mph, so never had the chance to see "where is the beef". I´ll arrange for a more complete test drive before buying, of course!

Cheers,

Antonio

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5-ready said:
Simon, thanks for the input. I guess the only reason I´m not completely in love with the car is that I never had the chance to really flog it! I drove the saloon at night under light rain for 5 min around city blocks, and the estate for 10 min. this time during the day and in fair weather, but could not dial more than 70mph, so never had the chance to see "where is the beef". I´ll arrange for a more complete test drive before buying, of course!

Cheers,

Antonio
You are welcome.

Either car should be great fun to own.:M5launch: Provided they are both in good shape. Although I would still prefer the Touring
Just got to go for a longer test drive.:M5thumbs: at least half an hour min after all you need to see how the car is when warm as well as cold.

Although you can tell quite a lot about a car at low speed. Best of luck with the longer test drive. Also if you can find a few more may be a good idea to try those so that you can get a better handle on the condition of the cars you have tried.

PS Never a good idea to look at a car at night hides too many possible problems.

If I can help please contact me.
:byee55amg
Simon

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
M5-ready said:
Karl, as far as I know there are 4 E34 M5 Tourings in Brazil, but this one is the first one I actually saw (and drove). The car is in good shape (PO just replaced all brake rotors and pads) the only remark is that it felt a bit butt heavy, but then I guess it really is!! For sure it is an exclusive car but guess what - my brother-in-law drives a black 1995 530 Touring!

Well, I have a few days to think about it, the car was offered first to someone else, who has the preference. You may have heard of him - Nelson Piquet, our local F1 champion. He drove the car and is considering it.

I did not take note of the VIN #. I´ll call the dealer tomorrow and ask, so you can count one down already :cheers:
Cheers,
Antonio
-
Hi Antonio,
wow, Nelson Piquet considering an E34 M5touring ? What kind of message is that sending to Garching ??? :wroom: ;) If you get the VIN I can sent you
a copy of the build-sheet for that car (wud need your e-mail-address).
How can I find the other M5tourings in Brazil ? is there a BMW-Club or even
a M5-Club in Brazil ??
I guess you know about -www.bmwe34m5.com/faq- ?? there you can find
a lot of useful information incl M5touring road-tests -
Good luck + keep in touch !
brgds
Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts