BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Wow nice! I'm also wondering the price and if you had them shipped both ways what the cost was. Also what was the process? ie: you called them and said hey I want to ship you my wheels. They said OK we'll call you when they get here and get your CC info, etc. etc.?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe the base price is $180/whl to refinish in shadow-chrome. If they have tires, $25ea to mount/remount. If a wheel is bent, $50 to straighten (if it can be fixed). 3 of my wheels were bent.

They ordered a pair of new rear tires and installed, they removed and reinstalled the fronts too.

Dropped off and picked up, so no shipping.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Looks mint! Can you post more pics?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Anyone else have any long term reviews?

I sent all 4 of mine out for refinsihing, after about a month one of the wheels starting to flake REAL badly. I called them and they refinished that wheel and everything was great. But now one of my other wheels is starting to flake....I had them refinished about 6 months ago, but have only put about 2000 miles on them since I do not daily my car. And I only ever use quick detailer wax spray to clean them.

Just wondering how others are holding up

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yikes. Hoping some more chime in on long term experience b/c that finish looks about the closest to stock I have seen (given it's just one photo).

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First I have heard of the flaking, eek!

Sound like adhesion issues, something in the metal before coating applied. The do a ton of wheels, so would think that this is not normal. There were probably 25 or more sets of wheels in the shop.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is it a powdercoat or paint process at Prince? My wheels are currently powdercoated a non-Shadow color, but it almost makes up for it when you pressure wash them off without scrubbing. Brake dust really won't adhere to powdercoat, but it can get stuck very stubbornly to paint.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Anyone else have any long term reviews?

I sent all 4 of mine out for refinsihing, after about a month one of the wheels starting to flake REAL badly. I called them and they refinished that wheel and everything was great. But now one of my other wheels is starting to flake....I had them refinished about 6 months ago, but have only put about 2000 miles on them since I do not daily my car. And I only ever use quick detailer wax spray to clean them.

Just wondering how others are holding up
When you say that you sent out all 4 who did you use to do the refinish? I am assuming it was not Prince Wheels? correct?

·
Registered
632 Posts
It was Prince Wheels.

Im not trying to start anything, lol...I was just voicing my opinion and personal experience.
Well this seems like a fluke perhaps it was not properly prepped or a contaminant came into contact with the surface before powdercoating. I would take off the rest of the wheels and have them do it over. They have you information on record and they are a reputable company. I would imagin that they would do the right thing and refinish your wheels once you brought them back.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well this seems like a fluke perhaps it was not properly prepped or a contaminant came into contact with the surface before powdercoating. I would take off the rest of the wheels and have them do it over. They have you information on record and they are a reputable company. I would imagin that they would do the right thing and refinish your wheels once you brought them back.
Oh I am sure they would, its just a HUGE inconvenience to remove all the wheels (I cannot set on jackstands for a prolonged time and do not have 4 dummy wheels) and then PAY (myself) to ship out the 3 remaining wheels/tires.

Ill just deal with them :dunno: ... I payed almost $1000 after straightening and refinishing and shipping back and forth

·
Registered
161 Posts
I might call Prince Wheels and explain the situation and see how they may be able to help (perhaps they will offer to pay for shipping both ways, perhaps expedite your wheels getting fixed, or maybe even supply a set of wheels while you wait - you won't know until you ask). Also, is there a member in your area that would be willing to loan you a set of wheels (perhaps a winter set) while you wait to have them redone?

After paying $1k to have my wheels refinished I would certainly expect to have the finish last longer that it has for you - unless I am hitting curbs etc. causing them to get re-damaged.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Believe the base price is $180/whl to refinish in shadow-chrome. If they have tires, $25ea to mount/remount. If a wheel is bent, $50 to straighten (if it can be fixed). 3 of my wheels were bent.

They ordered a pair of new rear tires and installed, they removed and reinstalled the fronts too.

Dropped off and picked up, so no shipping.
Did you go to Charlotte? That's a decent price and I'm guessing it would be cheaper for the original Volan wheels I need redone on my 850R. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts