BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have owned the beast for 3 months now (amazing car) and have experienced the infamous judder and 'rear end assist' throughtout my ownership. the judder is very slight and only when accelerating at moderate speed in 1st or 2nd gear. I got into the habit of combating the 'rear end assist' feature by tapping on the brake before pull off.

anyhow even though both issues were more of an annoyance and not showing signs of getting progressively worse, i decided to have it checked out by the local dealer under my comprehensive extended warranty.
No prizes for guessing the faults were down to a failed guide bush and release bearing. Now i am aware of the lubrication issue associated with this component but what surprised me was the technicians feedback on the extent of the damage stating "the bearing and bush had both collapsed".. the vehicle has only done 50k miles and drives perfectly aside from these two problems.

Question is would the damaged bush/bearing have caused damage to the clutch/fly and whether or not i should kick up a fuss and try to have it checked/replaced also??.. The technician has said he cannot assess the wear on the clutch/fly without having to take it apart which would be at my cost. He also believes the bush/bearing would have not caused excessive wear on the clutch.

what are your thought guys?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Wow, I think we all have the same issues and we try to alleviate them the same way. My car is going in next week for some miscellaneous items and I will definitely bring this to their attention. Mine sort of engages/disengages 1st and/or 2nd upon take off on an incline if I do not give it a lot of gas. Unfortunately, a lot of gas would mean peeling out from every stop sign and probably gathering a bunch of tickets for careless driving.
The kick in the rear is controlled with the foot on the brake when stopping. The only time I still get it and it's beyond my ability to control is when cruising/rolling to a stop as the car downshifts on its own.
When the car is under plenty of power it behaves perfectly. It's under those stopping or going conditions where the tranny gets sloppy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree with what the technician said. I would take the clutch/flywheel apart to check them out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This bush/bearing failure must be the most common problem on the E60 M5s and clearly a manufacturing defect. It should have been rectified via a recall..

Wow, I think we all have the same issues and we try to alleviate them the same way. My car is going in next week for some miscellaneous items and I will definitely bring this to their attention. Mine sort of engages/disengages 1st and/or 2nd upon take off on an incline if I do not give it a lot of gas. Unfortunately, a lot of gas would mean peeling out from every stop sign and probably gathering a bunch of tickets for careless driving.
The kick in the rear is controlled with the foot on the brake when stopping. The only time I still get it and it's beyond my ability to control is when cruising/rolling to a stop as the car downshifts on its own.
When the car is under plenty of power it behaves perfectly. It's under those stopping or going conditions where the tranny gets sloppy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
BMWNA recognises the issue with the guide bush and bearing so the US gang are already in a better position than we are in the UK.

·
Registered
153 Posts

No 'source' as such but having searched this forum and spoken to a few US owners there is good reason to conclude BMWNA recognise this as an issue. Over here BMWUK dont recognise it as an existing issue but do agree with the customer that the condition is a possibility. So, no set source but the info i have gathered supports my comment. Sorry if i cant be more exact.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
BMWNA recognizing and rectifying this issue would be news to me. My 2006 is at the dealership right now for this issue. I've only seen a couple of instances on the board where they have agreed to repair the vehicle at their cost (with a lot of kicking and screaming from M5 owners). The standard answer is that the clunkiness is "normal" and if the guide bush and CRB does require replacement they are considered "wear and tear" items like brakes and tires. We all know this is crap since its not "normal" for such a high percentage of clutches to go bad under 50K miles. I was luck enough to have a tranny leak that needed to be repaired so I only paid for the parts of a new clutch assembly. Others aren't so lucky.

·
Registered
153 Posts
BMWNA recognizing and rectifying this issue would be news to me. My 2006 is at the dealership right now for this issue. I've only seen a couple of instances on the board where they have agreed to repair the vehicle at their cost (with a lot of kicking and screaming from M5 owners). The standard answer is that the clunkiness is "normal" and if the guide bush and CRB does require replacement they are considered "wear and tear" items like brakes and tires. We all know this is crap since its not "normal" for such a high percentage of clutches to go bad under 50K miles. I was luck enough to have a tranny leak that needed to be repaired so I only paid for the parts of a new clutch assembly. Others aren't so lucky.
I suppose it depends on your warranty / maint plan if its covered or not, but in my opinion any mechanical part that fails due to bad design is a warranty / goodwill case. Just for your ref, the issue we are discussing is not the clunking we get from the SMG as this is normal to an extent. Its the juddering from pulling away from standstill that is the issue, all caused by the sticky bearing / bush. Regards,

Eddie

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I suppose it depends on your warranty / maint plan if its covered or not, but in my opinion any mechanical part that fails due to bad design is a warranty / goodwill case. Just for your ref, the issue we are discussing is not the clunking we get from the SMG as this is normal to an extent. Its the juddering from pulling away from standstill that is the issue, all caused by the sticky bearing / bush. Regards,

Eddie
I understand this issue as I had them both. The studdering when pulling away in low gear, particularly on a hill AND the rear bang when downshifting. Of course these items should be covered under warranty/goodwill, but that doesn't mean that they are. There are many posts here where owners paid $4K or more to replace these components despite having a BMW extended warranty, a maintenance warranty, or even a 3rd party warranty. I have a CPO car and I took all the print outs from posts of owners that had their vehicles goodwill repaired by the dealership and I am still paying for clutch assembly and bearing parts out of pocket. It seems the best approach is to discuss the issue thoroughly with your SA and get him on your side for the repairs. This thread is a good example (starting around page 22) http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/119882-e60-smg-clutch-issues.html

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, i think you hit the nail on the head there. Getting your SA onside is 99% of the battle. So long as he can see what you are seeing then he will know what to look for. It like steering a blind horse at times.

Eddie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts